Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 9 of 29 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
  1. #81 Re: Honda CT70 Clones. 
    C-Moto Senior
    Looking at the online reviews the Skyteam 125 Dax is listed as having a top speed in excess of 65 mph, which should mean it could cruose at 50. That was my thinkinking behind fitting a 125.

2. #82 Re: Honda CT70 Clones. 
    C-Moto Regular
    I have one in 125 and I can't imagine it would do 65mph in present form. Maybe w/ different gearing and fully tucked-in going downhill? Honestly, I'm not sure I'd want to ride it that fast, since it's not the most stable high-speed platform.

I have a 110 pit bike and power-wise, I don't think the 125 gives you a lot more. If you're going to the effort/expense, I'd vote for a 140 or 150.

Another mod I've done to my Skyteam Z50 and CT70 clones that I keep forgetting to mention is grinding down the steering stops. From the factory, I found the turning radius to be far too wide. Grinding down the stops gives me a lot tighter turning radius when putting around swap meets or tight wooded trails. The stock setup was pretty ridiculous.

3. #83 Re: Honda CT70 Clones. 
    C-Moto Senior
    What size sprockets have you got on yours Scottro?

4. #84 Re: Honda CT70 Clones. 
    C-Moto Regular
    I'll have to count the teeth. I just have whatever came on it from the factory. It works really well for riding around swap meets at a walking pace, cruising campgrounds, tight trails etc. I can ride it around the housing plan I live in because the speed limit is 25. It probably tops out about 50-55.

Taking it out on the main road would be too dangerous. The speed limit is 45, but most people drive 60-65 and there are lots of hills and people driving giant SUVs while sending txt messages etc. Some brave soul riding a bicycle just got hit the other day. A 250 is about the smallest bike I can ride on the main roads around here and survive.

5. #85 Re: Honda CT70 Clones. 
    C-Moto Senior
    Texting and driving is a real problem over here in the UK. Drivers know its wrong but the fines are so small no one worries. The penalties dont match the devastation it can cause.

6. #86 Re: Honda CT70 Clones. 
    C-Moto Regular
    Yeah same here. The US is also the land of "Bigger is Better" so motorcycles often go unnoticed and their right of way is often disregarded. Riding something as small as a Dax puts your head at hood level or below on many of the vehicles on the road. Thus, I stay on the side streets and trails. lol

There are some Youtube videos of a guy riding a Skyteam CT70 clone thru Brussels. Looks like fun. The cars are a lot smaller than average on our streets !

7. #87 Re: Honda CT70 Clones. 
    Shame about the hassle of installing a 125cc vs. the stock engine; I have a feeling there won't be much difference, although with the 125, you might be able to maintain the top speed better than the 110. I had a 2005 GY200 enduro years ago, and it came with a barbaric 56 tooth sprocket. Changed to a 44, and not only would it hit a few more MPH faster, but it was not screaming and torturing the bike and rider--it was cruising nicely. I have a few relatives in Faversham, so if I ever get out that way again (last time was in 1994), we will definitely have to have some pints of Shepherd's Neame!!

Scott, I hear you on the speed limit--my final stretch of road to work in the morning is posted at 50, but the commuters want it to be 70+! This time of year, agriculture has picked up, so there are a lot of cars heading in the opposite direction from Mexico--there have been days when I had to move all the way to the right three different times on the same day to avoid head on collisions. 3 in one day, and that happened on about 5 or 6 random days last year!! Most of the time it just happens once on the commute. The 200 with 48 tooth rear sprocket (which I had to order from the UK--long story behind that) gets me to about 65 max, but I still fill like a sitting duck sometimes from the rear (besides the oncoming menaces from Mexico).

8. #88 Re: Honda CT70 Clones. 
    C-Moto Senior
    There is a monkeybike tuning company here in Kent, called Ooracing, ( www.ooracing.com) so i may speak to them in regards to extracting a few more mph from the 110.

Generally drivers in the UK want 10 to 20 mph more than the actual local speed limit, we are a nation where the car comes first, second and third in the drivers eyes. The frustrating part of it is thst you often catch them up again a mile down the road. They are impatient to get to their next traffic jam. I cannot go on motorways as i dont have a full motorcycle license, so stick to the more minor A roads, which i prefer anyway. I like the small back roads, often classed as B roads over here. But where ever you ride car drivefs are generally inconsiderate and drive too close.
    Last edited by trexuk; 10-15-2014 at 03:25 AM. Reason: spelling

9. #89 Re: Honda CT70 Clones. 
    C-Moto Senior
    Since changing the sprockets to 17/32 i have noticed that the Lifans engine is running at lower revs and doesnt sound so strained. Although it takes a bit longer to reach full speed and needs a longer stretch of straight road. I think i might just be able to squeeze a 18 tooth on the front. But would have to fit a specially machined down hub on the rear to fit a 28 tooth on the back.

10. #90 Re: Honda CT70 Clones. 
    I'm running 17/32 on my CT70 clone. My next step is to install a size larger tires on my CT70 clone. Hopefully that will give me the final gear ratio that I want.

I just went from 3.50-8 to 4.00-8 tires on the Z50 clone monkey hack which gave an increase in circumference of three inches (from 47" to 50"). Should also correct the speedometer a bit.
    Last edited by barnone; 10-16-2014 at 10:53 AM.
    Vince
    2021 Ural cT
    2022 Dong Fang DF250RTG
    2021 Ice Bear 150cc scooter
    2020 Ice Bear 150cc Scooter

Page 9 of 29 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast