Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 29 1231121 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Honda CT70 Clones. 
    C-Moto Senior
    Skyteam, Jincheng, Zongchen, Lifan. If you have one how have you found it?

I bought my Lifan LF110-GY3 secondhand for £475, its 7 years old and had spent most of its life on the back of a camper van, it only had 300 odd kms on the clock when I purchased it back in May. The speedo now reads 2454, and so far apart from a couple of very minor issues with some small components, it has been faultless.

2. #2 Re: Honda CT70 Clones. 
    I take not credit for this, since it isn't me or my bike(s), but one of the bikes is the Skyteam 125 version, and it made it coast to coast across the US with the only problem being a rubber foot peg fell off (and was found). I think this more than shows the capabilities of Chinese bikes.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=988742

BTW-do you still have your T-Rex?

3. #3 Re: Honda CT70 Clones. 
    C-Moto Senior
    Hi Culcune, I have been reading the Across America by Scooter blog, a fantastic testament to Chinese bikes. And I love the fact that one of them was a CT clone. Would love to have done a trip like this with my son.

The T Rex went to a dealer yesterday in part exchange towards a new Sinnis Apache for my step son who restarts college next month for his second year of an engineering course.

4. #4 Re: Honda CT70 Clones. 
    Quote Originally Posted by trexuk View Post
    Hi Culcune, I have been reading the Across America by Scooter blog, a fantastic testament to Chinese bikes. And I love the fact that one of them was a CT clone. Would love to have done a trip like this with my son.

The T Rex went to a dealer yesterday in part exchange towards a new Sinnis Apache for my step son who restarts college next month for his second year of an engineering course.
    Glad to see that Birdmove had linked the trip back in July (I had only caught it by accident on ADVriders, and saw Birdmove on the thread), and now saw it here on mychinamoto. Kind of like the saying, a day late and a dollar short, although you would insert 'pound' no doubt!

But I think you just answered your own wish--your son is getting a Sinnis and you already have the DAX, so it looks like you have the makings of a cross-England or cross-Europe run!! I will definitely lie to read up on that. I do have to say the advrider thread with these two was refreshing in a lot of ways--we (North Americans) in the US and Canada tend to think of long-term driving trips in terms of high-speed interstates (Mexicans and visitors to Mexico have always written of taking plenty of off-the-beaten-track roads to enjoy at a slower pace). This father and son team rode on highways and roads that were off the beaten track and went from San Francisco to New York City--giving them the ability to enjoy the trip at far slower speeds than we normally think is needed. You in the UK and continental Europe have plenty of slow roads to choose from, I believe, making a trip
    like this much easier to plan and enjoy.

5. #5 Re: Honda CT70 Clones. 
    C-Moto Senior
    Well, two of my last three motorcycles got me used to riding the back roads: A 2007 Yamaha XT225 (Serow in Europe), and a 2007 Royal Enfield 500 Bullet. The one trip via the back roads on a 2006 XL883 at 50mph and less, got me 65 mpg.

6. #6 Re: Honda CT70 Clones. 
    C-Moto Senior
    Quote Originally Posted by culcune View Post
    Glad to see that Birdmove had linked the trip back in July (I had only caught it by accident on ADVriders, and saw Birdmove on the thread), and now saw it here on mychinamoto. Kind of like the saying, a day late and a dollar short, although you would insert 'pound' no doubt!

But I think you just answered your own wish--your son is getting a Sinnis and you already have the DAX, so it looks like you have the makings of a cross-England or cross-Europe run!! I will definitely lie to read up on that. I do have to say the advrider thread with these two was refreshing in a lot of ways--we (North Americans) in the US and Canada tend to think of long-term driving trips in terms of high-speed interstates (Mexicans and visitors to Mexico have always written of taking plenty of off-the-beaten-track roads to enjoy at a slower pace). This father and son team rode on highways and roads that were off the beaten track and went from San Francisco to New York City--giving them the ability to enjoy the trip at far slower speeds than we normally think is needed. You in the UK and continental Europe have plenty of slow roads to choose from, I believe, making a trip
    like this much easier to plan and enjoy.
    My step son has already mentioned some ride outs further from home. Up until now he has had a rather beaten up old Suzuki scooter that tops out around 30 mph, so his journeys have been limited to within 5 miles of home. Now with the Sinnis he could ride further and faster. We will have to see, the summer seems to be coming to a premature end over here in the UK, thanks in part I think to hurricane Bertha.

7. #7 Re: Honda CT70 Clones. 
    C-Moto Senior
    The furthest I have ridden the Lifan in one day is around 110 miles when visiting a bike show. Next weekend is an extended one with a public holiday on the Monday, and I have booked the Tuesday and Wednesday off of work. So I am thinking I may try and make my own little epic journey on the CT clone. I fancy riding to one of my favourite spots down on the South coast of England, its a National Park and an area of outstanding natural beauty, a rare commoditity in our crowded isle. Checking the route on Google maps its around 145 miles in either direction. Question is will the little clone make it and should I attempt the return journey on the same day, thats a lot of saddle time.

8. #8 Re: Honda CT70 Clones. 
    C-Moto Senior
    I consider a 300 mile day a bit long. I've done more, when I had to. Can you spend the night at the park?

9. #9 Re: Honda CT70 Clones. 
    C-Moto Senior
    Quote Originally Posted by birdmove View Post
    I consider a 300 mile day a bit long. I've done more, when I had to. Can you spend the night at the park?
    I did think about that, trouble is ut is still school summer holidays so most places to stay will be booked up or horrendously expensive. May just have to bite the bullet and do the return trip on the same day.

10. #10 Re: Honda CT70 Clones. 
    My biggest issue here in Arizona is the extreme weather for about 4 months, and less extreme for about 2 or 3 more months, and then livable for about 6 months which conveniently ties into--snowbird season. The state fills up with weather refugees during the good weather months who tie up lodging, the roads, stores, restaurants, etc. They always have the collective attitude here in Yuma of "if it wasn't for us, Yuma would be nothing" without realizing our big industry is agriculture and related, and about 1000 of us work in one of Arizona's state prison complexes which has nothing to do with winter tourism (unless indirectly whereas some of these convicts had robbed some of the snowbirds landing themselves in prison?).

I have a friend about 150 miles north of me in Lake Havasu I would like to visit one of these years, but when it is 105 to 110 F (heck into the mid-90s F) I am in no way motivated for such a trip! I will have to grin and bear it when the motorhomes and trailers start clogging up that road. I will try that trip in October or November. Another trip will be to Las Vegas. Also, I have not ruled out south into Mexico.

Page 1 of 29 1231121 ... LastLast