Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst ... 234561424 ... LastLast
  1. #31 Re: Honda CT70 Clones. 
    Looks great.Are you planning the usual mods,delete emissions suff,rejet,and regear?

2. #32 Re: Honda CT70 Clones. 
    Leaving her stock for now. Seems to run good for a 125 cc. Need to run her for a while.
    Edit: Gonna regear to add some use out of first gear. Stock front is a 15 tooth, hope I can add two teeth but maybe just one.
    Last edited by barnone; 09-27-2014 at 09:41 PM.
    Vince
    2021 Ural cT
    2022 Dong Fang DF250RTG
    2021 Ice Bear 150cc scooter
    2020 Ice Bear 150cc Scooter

3. #33 Re: Honda CT70 Clones. 
    C-Moto Senior
    What size is the fuel tank Barnone? My Lifan clone is 2.5 litre, which is a bit low TBH when you are out for the day on a run. I usually carry a fuel bottle with me with another half a litre in it, just in case I run out or find myself along way from a petrol station.

4. #34 Re: Honda CT70 Clones. 
    C-Moto Senior
    Returned home from holiday today to find my new front and rear sprockets waiting for me. Had a few hours out in the garage and fitted both, had to shorten the chain by one link as it was too long after fitting. Took the Lifan for a test run for a few miles to see how it runs. Initial thoughts are that it seems a good improvement, although acceleration is a litte slower. First gear is now useable at least, now doing 40 mph in 4th gear the engine feels a lot more relaxed and at ease. Will take her for a long run Sunday and see what I can get her up to.

5. #35 Re: Honda CT70 Clones. 
    The tank capacity is suppose to be 5.5 Liters which is about 1.5 US gallons which is close to what I put in the tank when it was empty.
    Vince
    2021 Ural cT
    2022 Dong Fang DF250RTG

6. #36 Re: Honda CT70 Clones. 
    Quote Originally Posted by trexuk View Post
    Returned home from holiday today to find my new front and rear sprockets waiting for me. Had a few hours out in the garage and fitted both, had to shorten the chain by one link as it was too long after fitting. Took the Lifan for a test run for a few miles to see how it runs. Initial thoughts are that it seems a good improvement, although acceleration is a litte slower. First gear is now useable at least, now doing 40 mph in 4th gear the engine feels a lot more relaxed and at ease. Will take her for a long run Sunday and see what I can get her up to.
    I would be interested to hear the top speed. I can imagine with the smaller tank your needing to carry extra petrol. Will the gearing make much difference in that area? Improved mileage or worse (but better cruising speeds)?

7. #37 Re: Honda CT70 Clones. 
    Mine started off at 14/38, its currently 16/36, soon it will be 17/31.
    My front sprocket is a 15 tooth. Are you saying a 17 tooth will fit? Is it the same sprocket for the Honda CT70?
    My tire is a 3.50-10.
    Thanks
    Vince
    2021 Ural cT
    2022 Dong Fang DF250RTG

8. #38 Re: Honda CT70 Clones. 
    C-Moto Senior
    Quote Originally Posted by barnone View Post
    My front sprocket is a 15 tooth. Are you saying a 17 tooth will fit? Is it the same sprocket for the Honda CT70?
    My tire is a 3.50-10.
    Thanks
    Yes I managed to fit a 17 tooth front sprocket, I think I could squeeze a 18 tooth but don't think I will.

Todays test run was very interesting. By fitting the new sprockets I can now actually use first gear, where as before it was almost useless. Most city riding can be done in third and fourth is good for above 35 mph. I need to use my GPS to check the top speed, as I don't believe the speedo is reading true. It sticks a an indicated 50 mph but I can feel the bike getting faster and it doesn't move. Previously it was reading about 5 mph faster than actual speed. Fuel economy was around the same as with the previous sprockets, but I was riding the bike faster than normal so think the sprocket change was negated by the extra speed. Were I to ride slower I could probably improve fuel economy.

9. #39 Re: Honda CT70 Clones. 
    C-Moto Senior
    my tyres are 3.50x10 too.
    My front sprocket is 420 pitch with a 17mm shaft, its the same as the ST70 in the UK but not sure if its the same the CT70 in the U.S.

10. #40 Re: Honda CT70 Clones. 
    Yes I managed to fit a 17 tooth front sprocket, I think I could squeeze a 18 tooth but don't think I will.

Todays test run was very interesting. By fitting the new sprockets I can now actually use first gear, where as before it was almost useless. Most city riding can be done in third and fourth is good for above 35 mph. I need to use my GPS to check the top speed, as I don't believe the speedo is reading true. It sticks a an indicated 50 mph but I can feel the bike getting faster and it doesn't move. Previously it was reading about 5 mph faster than actual speed. Fuel economy was around the same as with the previous sprockets, but I was riding the bike faster than normal so think the sprocket change was negated by the extra speed. Were I to ride slower I could probably improve fuel economy.
    Thanks for the info. I will order a 17 tooth after I measure the output shaft which will hopefully by adding two teeth make first gear more usable.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_ST_series_(minibike)
    "The ST70 was exported to Canada and the USA as the CT70"
    So should be the same sprocket?

Last edited by barnone; 09-28-2014 at 08:19 PM.
    Vince
    2021 Ural cT
    2022 Dong Fang DF250RTG

Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst ... 234561424 ... LastLast