Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 12341222 ... LastLast
  1. #11 Re: Honda CT70 Clones. 
    C-Moto Senior
    I am a chess player, and like to play in tournaments when I can. When we lived in the Seattle/Tacoma area, I could play in many tournaments. One of my favorites though, is the National Open in Las Vegas. It's held in June. I went two years ago, and it hit about 106-108. In Seattle 90 is reached once in a while for a day or two. I now live near Hilo Hawaii. I had a good tournament that year, but, man, was I glad to return to the big island, where the weather stays about high 70s, low 80s all the time.

2. #12 Re: Honda CT70 Clones. 
    Vegas is slightly cooler than Yuma, at least in the summer. In winter, they do hit some cold temperatures. Hawaii has some ideal temperatures as I fondly remember my trip there back in '97--Aug. 21, 1997 my wife and I got married in Maui, or 'Mauied' like the joke goes!

I think if I was to move to any of the islands, I would be into business renting scooters or something like that. I would latch on to those youth packaged deals where certain specialized travel agents book college students during spring break, and I would be the add-on scooter rental part since I assume one needs to be at least 25 years old to rent cars. I could be on to something!

3. #13 Re: Honda CT70 Clones. 
    C-Moto Senior
    In typically English bank holiday style the weather has put pay to my planned run out tomorrow. Torrential rain today with more rain tomorrow. Yesterday was nice, if a little windy, so took a trip to the coast on the Lifan. The round trip was just shy of 200 kms, I didn't rush, took about 5 hours in total with a few breaks along the way to rest my rear. Rode out to Rye, then Camber Sands and turned for home coming back through Appledore, Tenterden and Maidstone. Rode through some beautiful Kent countryside, lots of people out on bikes. Met one poor chap whose back tyre had rolled off his rim, and was awaiting rescue. Low point of the day: hitting a squirrel that slitting around in the middle of the road. I was swerving around a raised manhole cover and there he was, right in front of me. I hate hitting animals and felt quite bad for an hour or so afterwards. Couldn't see the body on the return trip so have to assume he limped away to die :-( I caught him with the front and rear tyres.

4. #14 Re: Honda CT70 Clones. 
    C-Moto Senior
    Was on my way to a local car and bike show on Thursday evening when I had the mis-fortune to pick up a thorn in my rear tyre. Half a mile down the road the bike started snaking violently, fortunately I managed to stop with no mishaps. I had ridden past a farmer flailing his hedgerows and must have picked it up then. After waiting not too long the RAC brought me home in their van, so yesterday I went out and bought some new tyres and tubes. I decided to go with road tyres as I never take the Lifan off road. I bought a pair of Continental Twists, it came to £70 for two tyres and two tubes, which I thought was a fair price.
    Just been out for a short shakedown ride on them, they seem oddly smooth after the knobbly Kingstones that we're on the bike when I bought it. I found it a slightly odd feeling rolling smoothly along after 3000 Kms of the whirring and slightly rough feel from the original off road tyres. Am off out for a Sunday ride tomorrow to the coast providing no rain is about. Will be interesting to see if they improve rider fatigue as I found the previous ones a bit energy sapping on a long ride.

5. #15 Re: Honda CT70 Clones. 
    trexuk,
    You must have some nasty thorns in the UK. What kinda hay was the farmer cutting?
    Vince
    2021 Ural cT
    2022 Dong Fang DF250RTG
    2021 Ice Bear 150cc scooter
    2020 Ice Bear 150cc Scooter

6. #16 Re: Honda CT70 Clones. 
    C-Moto Senior
    I think it was Hawthorn? The farmer was flailing the hedges with a chain flail. The bits get scattered everywhere.

7. #17 Re: Honda CT70 Clones. 
    The bike I commute on, the TMEC 200, has the 17" front/17" rear street tires on it. When the same bikes were imported to the UK a few years back in 125cc form, i believe they only came with the same wheel/tire setup. Here in the US, one can get these with 21" front/18" rear knobbies. I can only imagine the available knobbies are far harsher.

8. #18 Re: Honda CT70 Clones. 
    trexuk,
    I'm joining you in the CT70 clone ownership. Mine is on the way. Should be here in Western North Carolina, USA soon.
    9/17/2014 3:01:00 AM Departed FONTANA, CA in route to ATLANTA, GA

14-l.jpg
    Stock photo from dealer. We think it is a Sky Team. I had a Pitster Pro 125 CT70 clone five years ago so have some experience with the clone.
    Vince
    2021 Ural cT
    2022 Dong Fang DF250RTG

9. #19 Re: Honda CT70 Clones. 
    C-Moto Senior
    Has it arrived yet Barnone?

10. #20 Re: Honda CT70 Clones. 
    trexuk,
    It should be here Wednesday 24th.
    Last edited by barnone; 09-22-2014 at 05:11 PM.
    Vince
    2021 Ural cT
    2022 Dong Fang DF250RTG

Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 12341222 ... LastLast