Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 XF200 Dies at higher RPMs 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hey everyone,

I have a 2013 Qlink XF200 that has been running pretty well since I bought it last week. The one problem I have had with it is after riding at higher RPM's 6k+ for longer than 70 seconds the bike starts to sputter and then it finally loses all power and I need to pull over. The thing is if I don't give it any gas and pull over it will idle but the second I give it gas it bogs and dies. Every time this has happened I pull over and check everything (choke, leaks, hoses, then fuel level) and after I do this 30 seconds have passed then it works again. The symptoms it shows are classic fuel starvation which is why I always check the fuel level. Then it happened today, and I put it together. At higher RPM's the tank cant vent fast enough to keep the gas flowing into the carb. I have already read the thread on here where the person was having the same issue, but no solution was ever posted. I might just tap a small barb into the tank in front of the gas cap then have a hose lead down behind the head tube like on dirt bikes, or cap it with a tank vent.

Any help is appreciated!
    -TT

Edit: I have full cleaned the carb and all the jets to rule out a clogged carb.

2. #2 Re: XF200 Dies at higher RPMs 
    Did you buy it new? Jp Motorsports? They should look at it under warranty if that was the case.

If used; I have had my spark plugs fouling causing the situations you described on 2 or 3 occasions on my '09 TMEC 200. The bike runs, sputters, seems like fuel issues, dies, won't start, etc. Pulled out the plug--black; bought a new one, and back running. My new '13 TMEC 200 had the same situation, but the plug was fine--it was a CDI I needed (and fortunately had the '09 to borrow it from while I got it replaced under warranty--and I bought an extra one, too). Started right up!

Check plug, then possibly CDI (not like you can check that, but see if JP have them in stock, or find one on ebay/amazon/or even taobao which some people use and love). That is about my expertise--if these still don't solve anything, others with more mechanical skills can lead you into the bigger 'stuff' like gas tank venting and such.

3. #3 Re: XF200 Dies at higher RPMs 
    C-Moto Noob
    I bought the bike used, although the previous owner only put 31km on it then left in in the garage. I will buy a new plug tomorrow and see if it changes. I would rather do as many cheap things as I can before replacing the more costly items like the CDI.

4. #4 Re: XF200 Dies at higher RPMs 

5. #5 Re: XF200 Dies at higher RPMs 
    C-Moto Noob
    Alright so today I completely removed the SAI and removed the tank hose from the charcoal canister and took the REEcat valve thing out of the equation. I now have the tank vent running down to the bottom of the bike in case some fuel comes out. Tomorrow I will be testing this on the one place that always causes the problem to happen, and will see if it occurs again. If it does not occur after a few tries, I will have proof that it was something in the vent system. However, if it does occur again, I will report back to you guys and move on to electrical diagnostics.

-TT