Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 French Beijinger. 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hi all,
    I'm Jean-Philippe, French, 46yo, living in Beijing, holder of a chinese driving license and trying desperately to ride legally a descent bike. I hope I'll find some answers to my questions here.

2. #2 Re: French Beijinger. 
    legal in Beijing is expensive..... I am not sure the current price for a Jing A.. but two days ago.. I heard of one going for 70K rmb.....license is another .... a motorcycle license is required...outside the ring roads may prove to be less expensive.....if you live there....
    LMMC/LAMF

3. #3 Re: French Beijinger. 
    C-Moto Noob
    I have the C1D driving license. I live between the 3rd and the 4th ring road, 500 meters from the 4th ring road.... I heard that serious dealers can provide a legaly B-plate with all registrations documents including insurance if you buy a brand new bike in their store. But I suppose that in fact you're not the owner of the bike and I wonder how do you do when you sell the bike...

4. #4 Re: French Beijinger. 
    I also have the C1D.... and live outside the 5th ring road.....I did buy a new bike but bought a Jing A.. have no idea as to the B plate and someone else name...good luck.. myself and several here can give you dealers they have done "biz wit"
    LMMC/LAMF

5. #5 Re: French Beijinger. 
    C-Moto Noob
    your help will be appreciated, thank you. I suppose you know DATONE Motorcycles Workshop, what do you think of them?

6. #6 Re: French Beijinger. 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Bonjour Jean-Philippe

Clay is correct, 京A plates are running around 70K right now and, if history repeats itself, that price will increase substantially during the coming Fall/Winter months.

If you opt for a 京B plate, the price drops down to about 1K to 2K, depending on who arranges it for you.

DATONE is owned by the largest motorcycle dealer chain in Beijing - Dadihengtang (Dadi). Dadi has 8 outlets, originating with its two shops just North of the 5th Ring Road (Wangfujing area). The original outlets are not as fancy as the DATONE outlet and, interestingly, are a few hundred rmb cheaper on most bikes/services (including plates). I have bought several bikes from Dadi and my experiences have always been good.

The last new bike (GW250) I bought from Dadi (about a year ago) was 京B plated by Dadi (registration in its company name). Dadi provided additional documents clarifying that I was the owner/operator of the motorcycle. When I sold the bike, the buyer and I went back to Dadi and it issued new "owner" documents for the buyer. The reason one does this is because of the issue of traffic camera tickets/fines. Dadi wants to ensure that it is not responsible. Likewise, when I sold the bike, I wanted to ensure that any camera tickets were not assigned to me, but instead to the new buyer.

I have been hearing/reading stories about the Traffic Management Bureau cracking down on 京B plates inside the 4th Ring Road, and have also heard/read stories about insurance companies (e.g., PICC) refusing to insure the owner/operator of company-registered 京B bikes.

Dadi (DATONE) can explain everything in more detail for you. Dadi is not going to risk its quite good reputation by screwing people.

Good luck!

By the way, having the proper driving license is wise - there are an increasing number of horror stories (i.e., detention) of riders without C1E or C1D licenses being posted on Chinese motorcycle forums.

7. #7 Re: French Beijinger. 
    C-Moto Noob
    Thank you very much.

I went to Datone workshop and it seems that B-plates are around 5K for the new Benelli BJ600GS-A. Maybe it includes other things but I did not undestand exactly what the guy said. I only saw employees, does the manager speak english?

8. #8 Re: French Beijinger. 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    The 5K probably includes the sales tax. A shop often provides an all-in quote (there are several fees). In my experience, the trick is to get an out-the-door cash price, and compare it with other shops. Each shop has a different fee schedule for the many little things.

I have heard that someone at Datone speaks English, but I have never been lucky enough to meet him (her?).

9. #9 Re: French Beijinger. 
    Hi Jean-Philippe,

Welcome! I'm new to the forum, too.

I'm also living in Beijing and working on getting a legal motorcycle. I'll let you know when I start motorcycle shopping, maybe we can help each other through the process or at least scout the best deals. I am hoping I don't have to spend 5K on a jing B plate.

-Galen

10. #10 Re: French Beijinger. 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hi Galen,
    I just bought a black Suzuki GW250F at datone shop. I paid 25880Ұ for the bike + 3420Ұ including B-plate, taxes and 1 year insurance. Smooth transaction although nobody speaks english (thanks to my phone translate app!). I don't have yet the plate, I'll have it in a few days. I also bought a complete top case + luggages + rack system, but I have to wait for the plate to get it and mount it on the bike. Very strange....
    I think I'll write a road test here soon...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast