Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Chinese rider weird mentality 
    I keep coming across these Chinese riders not just on motorcycles, but also on bicycles. For the life of me I cannot understand the psychology....

1. See fast rider or unusual faster bike.
    2. Almost kill self in desperate attempt to keep up.
    3. Find passing place and go 100% top speed to pass other rider.
    4. As soon as passed other rider pull off into side road or dramatically slow down making fast riding pointless.

What are they trying to prove? Some kind of daytime street race?

2. #2 Re: Chinese rider weird mentality 
    I've seen that exact same scenario.

Leaning the bike at fast but safe speed in a left curve for the fun of leaning as I was all alone, suddenly I get passed on the right by 20cm (while there was 4 meters between me and the edge of the curve) by a Benelli 600 rider, full throttle. Scared the sheet out of me.

I guessed he saw me leaning and wanted to teach me how.

At the exact second he passed me, the car 15 meters in front of us turned its blinker on, and started deviating right. Bingo.

He then "performed" a panicked emergency braking in 3 or 4 hard squeezes locking the front wheel at each squeeze, going straight at the car while there was 3 meters of empty space available on each side of it.

The guy finally did brake enough not to hit it, missing its rear bumper by just a few cm.

Then he stopped at the red light 50m ahead after which he drove slow, probably wet his pants...
    Le siècle ou nous vivons est un siècle pourri. - Tout n'est que lâcheté, bassesse, - Les plus grands assassins vont aux plus grandes messes - Et sont des plus grands rois les plus grands favoris. - Hommage de l'auteur à ceux qui l'ont compris, - Et merde aux autres.
    Georges Brassens

3. #3 Re: Chinese rider weird mentality 
    Quote Originally Posted by braillce View Post
    I've seen that exact same scenario.

Leaning the bike at fast but safe speed in a left curve for the fun of leaning as I was all alone, suddenly I get passed on the right by 20cm (while there was 4 meters between me and the edge of the curve) by a Benelli 600 rider, full throttle. Scared the sheet out of me.

I guessed he saw me leaning and wanted to teach me how.

At the exact second he passed me, the car 15 meters in front of us turned its blinker on, and started deviating right. Bingo.

He then "performed" a panicked emergency braking in 3 or 4 hard squeezes locking the front wheel at each squeeze, going straight at the car while there was 3 meters of empty space available on each side of it.

The guy finally did brake enough not to hit it, missing its rear bumper by just a few cm.

Then he stopped at the red light 50m ahead after which he drove slow, probably wet his pants...
    Exactly it seems, although I'm not 100% certain due to cultural differences that there is some need to 'prove' or 'instruct' the other rider about how much better their bike is or how much of a better rider they are. I'm happy to 'spar' with another rider on a race track or even an empty twisty mountain road with a good road service, but I can't understand the need to 'prove' something on a crowded urban road or major road and put myself in danger or have someone else put me in danger.

4. #4 Re: Chinese rider weird mentality 
    .... when someone has a genetic defect ... you cant correct it by beating them up :-)

small dick complex???
    SWM RS500R, R1200GS LC

5. #5 Re: Chinese rider weird mentality 
    I'm not discounting any of your theories, but these same scenarios are quite common on both 2 and 4 wheels in the states . . .

6. #6 Re: Chinese rider weird mentality 
    ... then that's the US small dick complex.... but don't worry, we have that in Germany too ....
    and sometimes all of us male are caught in that situation ;-)
    SWM RS500R, R1200GS LC

7. #7 Re: Chinese rider weird mentality 
    We have a British one which is slightly different....
    1. See fast rider or unusual faster bike.
    2. Almost kill self in desperate attempt to keep up.
    3. Find passing place and go 100% top speed to pass other rider, but safely or expect to be stabbed later.
    4. As soon as passed other rider keep riding at 100% indefinitely to prove this is how you always ride, you are that dammed quick.

Or the long dick method......
    1. See other bike.
    2. If other bike is riding at a slower pace overtake safely, and acknowledge other rider in friendly way, maybe wave politely.
    3. Carry on at normal pace.

8. #8 Re: Chinese rider weird mentality 
    Hell.. I don't know.. I'm all of the above and more... I was young once and.. golly jee.. still have to grow up.. Sometimes I just need to do something totally friggin stupid... Keeps the heart pumping.. And... I usually pass them on the outside on a corner..So.. I can't criticize..

9. #9 Re: Chinese rider weird mentality 
    Everyone enjoys passing another rider at some point for some reason. But a safe distance when u pass anyone is critical.

To confess I do enjoy passing real close from morons on e-bikes or bicycles riding on Huaihai rd at 10km/h while it's one of the only places in town where u can go 120km/h safely, or worse, those weird boards with 2 wheels and a long handle bar axis, dunno how u call those. They're not allowed on that street, they're slow as f***, so I pass them real close at over 100km/h to see if they're still doing it the next day...

Other than those morons taking risks for themselves and others cause they want to ride the big street with their rollers, no one deserves having a rider passing him up-close at full speed, especially in curves...
    Le siècle ou nous vivons est un siècle pourri. - Tout n'est que lâcheté, bassesse, - Les plus grands assassins vont aux plus grandes messes - Et sont des plus grands rois les plus grands favoris. - Hommage de l'auteur à ceux qui l'ont compris, - Et merde aux autres.
    Georges Brassens

10. #10 Re: Chinese rider weird mentality 
    We are only human after all.. And I do the same with e bikers.. except one day the e bike (covered completely with helium balloons) suddenly did a left turn. I swerved as much as I could but he clipped my rear pannier and I saw his bike go down as the balloons went up... A week later the same guy was doing exactly the same thing.. This time I had a good look and the moron had a 5 year old kid standing on the battery box.. Balloons, Kid and no regard for safety..