Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    That's OK then, sorry!

Hi guys - I arrived in China a week ago, and I'm very keen to ride here for 3 to 4 weeks (my total duration in China will be 7 weeks).

A month or so ago, I did quite a bit of research into the legalities/practicalities of riding here, which got mixed responses both on this forum, and on the HUBB.

So, now I'm here, and keen to ride, and stumbled across this thread. Has anyone been able to shed any more light on the topic of a legal temporary dl for people on tourist visas?

Also, I was thinking of trying to get a bike in Chengdu, in 7 to 10 days time. Can anyone recommend someone/somewhere to contact in that area to get a decent bike capable of 3-4 weeks touring?

In short, I'm here to see China, and have a good time whilst I'm doing it. I love touring by motorbike, but I'm not trying to set any records or break too many rules. If riding a bike will mean waiting 2 weeks to clear paperwork, then I'm not interested, as I don't want to sacrifice that amount of time waiting for a license. I'd rather travel by bus/train and see more of the country and it's people.

Thanks in advance for your time...

Jimmy

Unfortunately processing things takes time here. how long down there I don't know.

If you can't speak and read and write the language it will take you even longer.

I have been going through the process of getting my license here in Xinjiang for 2/3 weeks now I'd say I have got another 2 weeks before I get it and I have people helping me.That is if they don't throw some thing new at me again.

I did see I can rent a car here for $500.00 rmb a day they supply a driver. I have to use there driver.

4. #14 Temporary Driver's License 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    I spent an entire day with this guy from the UK, running around to different beaurocracies in Kunming trying to get this 'temporary license.' We just kept getting passed on and it seemed clear that NO ONE knew what we were talking about. In the end, I think it's not worth the trouble if you can just use your temporary license and hope the cops look the other way.

I wrote about it in other posts on this site, but I had several run-ins with the cops and always got off scott-free.

Chris Maupin
    www.chrison2wheels.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12