Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. #11 Re: Just got my license, looking to buy a bike now! 
    Can we keep things on topic?

2. #12 Re: Just got my license, looking to buy a bike now! 
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    Can we keep things on topic?
    ok fair comment....
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

3. #13 Re: Just got my license, looking to buy a bike now! 
    Quote Originally Posted by phlxvi View Post
    Hi guys, my thanks to both of your for your thoughts and advice.

To prattle on a little more about myself, i've been in and out of beijing all my life, grew up here as a kid at ISB and went home for uni, work, and am back working again. I've been driving in Beijing legally and illegally for quite some time now, and more recently have also been biking to and fro work (our office is near jinglemen-Y and i've a place at 'the place.' yea... hahahaha

i'm looking to buy the bike mostly to commute and maybe ride around the country side on the weekend, my family lives in Riviera, so it's nice and quiet out there. (the new honda dealership is right down the street!)

But yea, regarding bikes, i'm mostly looking at the KTM 390 & the Ninja 300 right now, as those're the only 2 'small' bikes i'm certain can be purchased legally here in China, the cbr250r and the small yamaha yzfs are... gray at best it seems (meaning i can probably get an out of town plate, but it prolly can't be transfered to 京B because some of the paperwork will be iffy, but that's just my guess?)

If anyone has suggestions as to where i could find a legal cbr250r, yzf-R15 or even a Honda Grom, i'd be very much obliged as those might be cheaper than the bikes i'm looking at now. I *believe* i'm a good driver / rider as i've been operating motor-vehicles for ... 10+ years now and have never been in an accident, *knocks on wood*, hopefully i'll continue that tradition with the bike. :)

Anyhow, looking forward to your guys' thoughts and opinions, feel free to let me have it, i won't take offense. and regarding the e-bike, i heard there're some crazy new bikes that put gas-owered ones to shame, but the price tags have all been north of 12,000USD, so... that sounds a little much for me as i'd just get a smart car then...

Cheers,

Felix
    Felix, if you have been riding as long as you say you have I'd seriously suggest you get a CB500 if you like Hondas (as I do too). Don't worry about it being bigger, the resale value will stay high, and the bike will grow with your skills. I have seen a CBR250 at a dealers, he said it could be registered, but that was in my backwater 3rd tier city. I imagine CFMOTO are the only people who supply/assemble where the Duke 390 and smaller bikes, but I don't really have information on it. I suggest you just choose between a Ninja 250, the KTM 390 and the CB500. You can't go wrong with any of them IMHO, except the KTM would be better for parts, but CFMOTO are useless at supplying them under warranty.

4. #14 Re: Just got my license, looking to buy a bike now! 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    G'Day Felix, welcome aboard the MCM craZies bus... as you are likely finding we're all pretty passionate about MC's and MCing. I think ZMC888 has offered you a pretty good bit of advice. Go for a CB500 either CBR or F. Unfortunately the better model in the CB500 range, the CB500X isn't being distributed by the Honda PRC distributor - yet. Who knows if or when this might change.

Having ridden a CB500X for ~15000km over two months (Jan & Feb '14) I can say that the CB500X is a fun, forgiving ride very suitable to the riding environment here. As usual though PRC being a logic free zone, the one model that best suits the local conditions is absent from the locally available line up IMO. TIC!

FWIW, CFMoto are the distributor for all KTM products, and the local production partner with KTM for the 200 & 390 Dukes. In terms of CFMoto warranty claims and the like, it's important to appreciate that one understands that any CFMoto products is required to be returned to the official point of sale for that product. If one bought their CFMoto MC from anything other than a "official CFMoto" dealership then this where the waters get murky. Not all MC sales/dealers are official CFMoto sanctioned dealers. This really does complicate Point of Sale warranty issues/claims. However, CFMoto aren't the only MC manufacturer that one could point a finger at over warranty issues. Ask any number of BMW MC owners with their high end, R1200GS's, R1200RT's, F800GS's et al.

FWIW one would likely not get an accurate or truely thruthful forthcoming response given the number of Beemer owners who drink the Beemer kool aid.

Now I'd like to add that if you want to simply ride round the big smoke, instead of wanting or buying a sporty lil MC, why not consider a scooter. Not a wee lad of a scoot, but something bigger - a maxi scoot. Silverblade (Benelli), Jetmax or Jetlux (CFMoto) and a host of others. If you got a big wallet then there are legal Yamaha's, Suzuki and Kymco maxi scooter options. Ideally something 250-400cc would do. 400cc IMO would be ideal. To my mind, a maxi scoot, offers many advantages over a similar sized MC. Weather protection, shopping conveyance, ease of use in stop/go traffic, blend in more to the surroundings and not stand out like a set of dogs b@11s. A 400cc maxi, even a 250 maxi, do well for weekend excursions out of the city. My preferred MC's in my fleet are my maxi's. Just a shame no manufacturer has really developed a more fitting dual purpose/ADV style maxi.. though the Honda NC700D - 750D Integra with the larger 17" wheels would likely handle rougher surfaces better than most.

Which brings me to the next point, if you plan or might plan on riding out of the city for longer excursions, further, deeper, for longer, then a more dual purpose/ADV styled ride is the way to go. Figure on 30% crap riding surfaces, and likely 10-15% of those being only suitable for a suitably styled ride.

Another point worth consideration, as touched on by ZMC888, is that any ride you buy - need to factor in part availability and costs, aside from the skills of any wrench monkey. This is where locally manufactured rides are better placed. If one buys an imported bike, then these very issues need careful consideration and analysis. That's where the locally assembled KTM/CFMoto Dukes have an advantage IMO over say, a CB250-CB500 or the like.

But, at the end of the day - it's your money... enjoy the ride.
    Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist
    - Pablo Picasso

5. #15 Re: Just got my license, looking to buy a bike now! 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    BTW, luv the Honda Grom... saw lots of them in Thailand in Jan-Feb '14, and thought they'd make a fun platform for riding here. Sadly they aren't being distributed here officially.
    Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist
    - Pablo Picasso

6. #16 Re: Just got my license, looking to buy a bike now! 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Honda Grom, as modded in Thailand ...

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bike...ster-gromcati/

http://www.x-speed.co.th/

BTW, 速度驿站机车俱乐部 deals in illegal bikes. If you are at the Riveira, and looking for an "undocumented" bike, Shao's is much closer on JingMi (make a left onto JingMi, he's on the right).

7. #17 Re: Just got my license, looking to buy a bike now! 
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

8. #18 Re: Just got my license, looking to buy a bike now! 

9. #19 Re: Just got my license, looking to buy a bike now! 
    C-Moto Noob
    wow, i'm really excited to read all these posts, but sadly will have to wait till i get home as my iphone screen just won't cut it.

Re Lao Jia Hou from earlier, I'm definitely looking to buy a legit bike, so thanks for the clarification in what that shop deals in, much thanks for saving me the headache of finding out later!

Seems like it's the 390 Duke or Ninja 300 for me! :)

hopefully i'll get to swing by the 'dealers' over the weekend.

Cheers,
    Felix

10. #20 Re: Just got my license, looking to buy a bike now! 
    C-Moto Noob
    ooo, question i just thought of, are there any other authorized Kawasaki dealers asides from FHL? I know CFmoto does the KTMs.

Thanks!

Felix

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12