Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Just had my gas scooter impounded... 
    Hey all,

So i moved to Shanghai a year and a half ago, and have really been missing riding sportbikes and driving cars in general. Last week I bought a sweet little second hand gas scooter from a coworker. It was one of those GJSY gas powered jobbies. After a quick mechanical once over I had it filled with gas and was good to go.

I literally rode it for 4 days to and from work then I got caught today and they took it and said I had to pay 500rmb to get it back in 3 days.

My question is, can I get this thing street legal and use it, or as it basically a waste of money?

2. #2 Re: Just had my gas scooter impounded... 
    Sadly it is basically a waste of money. You could , I’m not saying you should , ride that in smaller cities , but in the big smokeysyou need some kind of plate. As the wee scoot doubtless has no paperwork and may have been sold about like a cheap whore, you might as well keep the 500 kuai and let the cops take her to the big yard under the overpass.

3. #3 Re: Just had my gas scooter impounded... 
    Quote Originally Posted by loganhudak View Post
    Hey all,

So i moved to Shanghai a year and a half ago, and have really been missing riding sportbikes and driving cars in general. Last week I bought a sweet little second hand gas scooter from a coworker. It was one of those GJSY gas powered jobbies. After a quick mechanical once over I had it filled with gas and was good to go.

I literally rode it for 4 days to and from work then I got caught today and they took it and said I had to pay 500rmb to get it back in 3 days.

My question is, can I get this thing street legal and use it, or as it basically a waste of money?
    Ho so the bike was not legal ??? and you live and ride in "Shanghai" which is conceded one of the hot spot for illegal bikes ? . You have been lucky to not be put in prison and get a big fine?
    Sorry to sound a bit abrupt on this matter . But please do all the other "laowai" a favour and try and get legal please .
    hope you get your bike back and you sort out everthing.
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

4. #4 Re: Just had my gas scooter impounded... 
    Quote Originally Posted by zhu View Post
    Sadly it is basically a waste of money. You could , I’m not saying you should , ride that in smaller cities , but in the big smokeysyou need some kind of plate. As the wee scoot doubtless has no paperwork and may have been sold about like a cheap whore, you might as well keep the 500 kuai and let the cops take her to the big yard under the overpass.

The thing is, if the scooter lasts me even one week its worth it. I pay over 100rmb a day in taxi, and im not here on some fancy expat package.

I have had a license for cars and motorbikes in canada since i was 16, but last year my license expired. If there a thread here about actually taking a driving lesson or motorbike course in shanghai?

5. #5 Re: Just had my gas scooter impounded... 
    Quote Originally Posted by prince666 View Post
    Ho so the bike was not legal ??? and you live and ride in "Shanghai" which is conceded one of the hot spot for illegal bikes ? . You have been lucky to not be put in prison and get a big fine?
    Sorry to sound a bit abrupt on this matter . But please do all the other "laowai" a favour and try and get legal please .
    hope you get your bike back and you sort out everthing.
    Ok i get it, you are the smart ass know it all. cool.

The bike was not stolen it was bought new by my boss. I do live in shanghai, about a 40rmb taxi from my office. You think i should be imprisoned for riding a beat up little gas scooter? you are an idiot. My question was about getting it legal, does anyone know if these are even able to get registered? Also im not about to pay 10,000rmb to plate a shitty 500rmb scooter...

6. #6 Re: Just had my gas scooter impounded... 
    C-Moto Regular

The bike was not stolen it was bought new by my boss. I do live in shanghai, about a 40rmb taxi from my office. You think i should be imprisoned for riding a beat up little gas scooter? you are an idiot. My question was about getting it legal, does anyone know if these are even able to get registered? Also im not about to pay 10,000rmb to plate a shitty 500rmb scooter...
    Shanghai isn't the place for riding illegal bikes. I understand that sometimes in China these things just aren't worth the time/hassle/money. But if you drive illegally in SH you can and will be picked up quickly. Those cheap scooters can't be registered especially if you don't have the documentation. Maybe consider a fast ebike? Those can do up to 45 km/h if de-restricted.

7. #7 Re: Just had my gas scooter impounded... 

You come on here with your first post and ask for help ???
    and now you call me a smart ass?? yes smart another to know not to ride a illegal bike in shanghai .
    you just can't help some people , and yes you need to read up on Chinese law about riding without a valid Chinese Driving licence.. i think you will find its 14 days prison and free soap on a rope

Nuff said
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

8. #8 Re: Just had my gas scooter impounded... 
    Quote Originally Posted by VroomVroom View Post
    Shanghai isn't the place for riding illegal bikes. I understand that sometimes in China these things just aren't worth the time/hassle/money. But if you drive illegally in SH you can and will be picked up quickly. Those cheap scooters can't be registered especially if you don't have the documentation. Maybe consider a fast ebike? Those can do up to 45 km/h if de-restricted.

i have seen some electric bikes with sportbike fairing around the past few months. Is there a local dealer on the forums that can track those things down?

9. #9 Re: Just had my gas scooter impounded... 
    Quote Originally Posted by prince666 View Post
    You come on here with your first post and ask for help ???
    and now you call me a smart ass?? yes smart another to know not to ride a illegal bike in shanghai .
    you just can't help some people , and yes you need to read up on Chinese law about riding without a valid Chinese Driving licence.. i think you will find its 14 days prison and free soap on a rope

Nuff said
    thanks for you input.

10. #10 Re: Just had my gas scooter impounded... 
    Don’t know about Canada but my country (nz) allows the licence to be renewed from overseas within 12 months of expiry. If you are planning to stay here a while do yourself a favour and get a drivers licence. As Prince rather bluntly put it you could wind up doing 14 days in the slam. In their own way people here just trying to help you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast