Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. #11 Re: Just had my gas scooter impounded... 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    French biker detained for saying ‘non’ to police.

September 3, 2014.

A FRENCHMAN who tried to flee from a police checkpoint on an unlicensed scooter on Monday has been detained, officers from Huangpu District said yesterday.

Police indicated for the unnamed man and his female pillion to stop for a routine check during the morning rush hour. The man, however, declined the invitation, turned his bike around and rode away in the opposite direction.

Zhang Jun, one of the officers at the scene, said the man glanced back at the police as he rode away at high speed.

Unfortunately for the biker, the whole incident was captured on a surveillance camera, and he was soon identified. A further probe determined his scooter was unlicensed and was consequently impounded.

When questioned later by police, the man claimed he had no idea he had been asked to stop.

According to Zhang, the man’s refusal to agree to the check could be deemed as obstructing a public security official, which carries a maximum sentence of 10 days’ detention or a fine of up to 200 yuan (US$32.50). For a foreigner, the penalty might also include a reduction of their residence term, he said.

Unlicensed scooters and mopeds are not allowed in Shanghai, and their riders can be fined up to 200 yuan.

Source: Shanghai Daily
    Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist
    - Pablo Picasso

2. #12 Re: Just had my gas scooter impounded... 
    All ways best to be legal if you can or want to be .
    Now on a ride out today to Yantai (shandong province), 10 bike in Total 9 are illegal and I had the only legal one. On the way back home we all stop to fill up with petrol, ALL the 9 other bike was refused petrol? I being the only one who had a blue book and my Chinese DL so I was accepted,
    Before the petrol attendance filled up the tank you need to go into the office and get a ticket if you had all the correct documents, The end result was I had to go into the office 10 times to get tickets for all the other riders to allow the petrol attendance to fill up the other bikes.?
    I have kept on advising the other members that times are changing in China and it won't be to long
    before all these illegal bikes are a time of the past, today it hit home to a few that maybe it's time to start looking at getting legal bikes , Yes the guys are ok in their local area/petrol station, but how boring is that .
    I rode back home with a big smile on my face just think it's funny
    Last edited by prince666; 09-13-2014 at 04:23 PM.
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

3. #13 Re: Just had my gas scooter impounded... 
    C-Moto Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by prince666 View Post
    All ways best to be legal if you can or want to be .
    Now on a ride out today to Yantai (shandong province), 10 bike in Total 9 are illegal and I had the only legal one. On the way back home we all stop to fill up with petrol, ALL the 9 other bike was refused petrol? I being the only one who had a blue book and my Chinese DL so I was accepted,
    Before the petrol attendance filled up the tank you need to go into the office and get a ticket if you had all the correct documents, The end result was I had to go into the office 10 times to get tickets for all the other riders to allow the petrol attendance to fill up the other bikes.?
    I have kept on advising the other members that times are changing in China and it won't be to long
    before all these illegal bikes are a time of the past, today it hit home to a few that maybe it's time to start looking at getting legal bikes , Yes the guy are ok in their local area/petrol station, but how boring is that .
    I rode back home with a big smile on my face just think it funny
    For some people its very difficult or impossible to get a license. Personally I've got my bike registered (far too much hassle then it was worth) but went to get the license and hit too many obstacles. For example:

1. Need to register residency outside the city (I live JUST inside the city, 2 minute drive) but they said no.
    2. Visa doesn't last 6 months+

The system is bullshit and is literally just a lot of paperwork. The practical test is ridiculous and no training is provided. People don't want to jump through a ton of hoops just to get a piece of paper.
    Unless you want to drive in and around big cities, not worth it. The countryside I never see legal bikes.

4. #14 Re: Just had my gas scooter impounded... 
    Quote Originally Posted by VroomVroom View Post
    For some people its very difficult or impossible to get a license. Personally I've got my bike registered (far too much hassle then it was worth) but went to get the license and hit too many obstacles. For example:

1. Need to register residency outside the city (I live JUST inside the city, 2 minute drive) but they said no.
    2. Visa doesn't last 6 months+

The system is bullshit and is literally just a lot of paperwork. The practical test is ridiculous and no training is provided. People don't want to jump through a ton of hoops just to get a piece of paper.
    Unless you want to drive in and around big cities, not worth it. The countryside I never see legal bikes.
    Yes I do understand , how hard it is for some people to get a Chinese DL ? it took me over 3 years to sort out all the bullshit before in the end I was able to take and pass the test, it just come down to how bad you want to be legal and comes down to ones point of view.

But I won't except it can't be done and 2 wrongs don't make a right

Real integrity is doing the right thing, knowing that nobody's going to know whether you did it or not.
    Oprah Winfrey

I think that we as a people are always prone to think about, well, tomorrow will be a better day. Well, why will it be a better day? And I think the more that we believe in doing things better, doing the right thing rather than hoping that that's going to happen, let's make it happen.
    Bobby Knight
    The truth of the matter is that you always know the right thing to do. The hard part is doing it.
    ~ H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Nuff said.
    Last edited by prince666; 09-13-2014 at 04:26 PM.
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

5. #15 Re: Just had my gas scooter impounded... 
    bro you just quoted oprah winfrey? GTFO here.

Quote Originally Posted by prince666 View Post
    Yes I do understand , how hard it is for some people to get a Chinese DL ? it took me over 3 years to sort out all the bullshit before in the end I was able to take and pass the test, it just come down to how bad you want to be legal and comes down to ones point of view.

But I won't except it can't be done and 2 wrongs don't make a right

Nuff said.

6. #16 Re: Just had my gas scooter impounded... 
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerdoc View Post
    [...] A FRENCHMAN who tried to flee from a police checkpoint on an unlicensed scooter on Monday has been detained [...], the whole incident was captured on a surveillance camera, and he was soon identified. [...]
    That's new, eluding a barrage always meant being out of trouble till now.

Now if they do bother finding u without plates, for us with real plates they'll be waiting at our house before we even get there.

This means no more burning through barrages I guess.

Thx for sharing...
    Le siècle ou nous vivons est un siècle pourri. - Tout n'est que lâcheté, bassesse, - Les plus grands assassins vont aux plus grandes messes - Et sont des plus grands rois les plus grands favoris. - Hommage de l'auteur à ceux qui l'ont compris, - Et merde aux autres.
    Georges Brassens

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12