Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. #11 Re: New member, Beijing! 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Good up-to-date info, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by galenernest View Post

2: According to the lady at the desk, you don't need an official company to translate the license. Anyone can translate the license and sign the above mentioned translation form. So, I'll have my Chinese friend do the translation for me and keep my fingers crossed.

3: I had my friend ask twice to be sure: My Chinese driver's license should be valid for driving cars and motorcycles. According to the lady, the Chinese license will mirror my USA license relating to what kind of vehicles I can operate. I'm crossing my fingers on this one... I've heard some contradictory information. We'll see.
    I experienced the same many years ago - anyone can do the translation. Good to see that it is still that way.

One recommendation is ... if your WA is a full, unrestricted motorcycle endorsement, make sure your friend's translation includes a notation that you are licensed to ride BOTH 2 wheeled motorcycles and 3-wheeled sidecar motorcycles. In WA state, I believe, a sidecar license & a motorcycle license are the same thing. In China, they are different. In China, just a 2-wheeled motorcycle license is a C1E (C1 = passenger car and E = 2 wheel motorcycles), whereas a C1D includes passenger cars, 2 wheeled motorcycles, and 3 wheeled motorcycles (sidecars). You may as well shoot for the C1D, as you are indeed licensed for sidecars.

In my experience, the Beijing TMB are pretty good when dealing with foreigners. Given the large foreign population, with all of the Embassies, etc., they have pretty much seen it all and do not appear to have any concerns with foreigners becoming legal. In fact, the TMB actively encourages it. Seriously, there is no reason why anyone in Beijing should not be licensed.

As for bike nights, weekly rides, etc., I've recently been riding more outside of China than inside, sorry, so I'm a little out of the loop. There used to be a Tuesday night meet-up at Frost Burgers in Sanlitun, but I don't know if it is still going on. With such a transient population, it is really tough to organize and maintain anything. Frost is listed on The Beijinger, and you can contact Jeff (the owner, an American) for more info. Jeff is a local rider.

Finally, answering one of your initial questions - yes, a B plate is fine for anywhere outside the 4th Ring Road, except on the actual 4th or 5th ring road (side roads are fine). If you are in the NW (Haidan district), the rule may be that you still technically need an A plate to register the bike in your name. Haidan is one of the 6 restricted motorcycle plating districts. However, a decent motorcycle shop (pick one of the large ones) can help you out with how to get a B-plated bike.

Good luck in your pursuits!

2. #12 Re: New member, Beijing! 
    Thanks for the info on the SanLiTun meetup... I'll look into it once I get my bike. Of course, by then it'll probably be winter and not too many folks will be out and about on their bikes just for fun.

I'm not sure when the law changed in WA, but sidecars now require an additional endorsement to operate, which I do not have. It may have changed when the CanAm spyder came out? Not sure. But I'm not too concerned, I can live without riding sidecars. (Incidentally, I was the "monkey" in a sidecar race one time. That's a whole different experience, lol).

Lao Jia Hou, did you live on the West Coast at one point? You're spot on about the DMV personnel back in the States... you'd think that they were affiliated with the mob to be so damn rude and still keep their jobs.

3. #13 Re: New member, Beijing! 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Thanks for the info on the SanLiTun meetup... I'll look into it once I get my bike. Of course, by then it'll probably be winter and not too many folks will be out and about on their bikes just for fun.
    That's where a scooter (maxi scooter is my preference) comes into it's own... all year round riding... just got to watch for snow and black ICE

I'm not sure when the law changed in WA, but sidecars now require an additional endorsement to operate, which I do not have. It may have changed when the CanAm spyder came out? Not sure. But I'm not too concerned, I can live without riding sidecars. (Incidentally, I was the "monkey" in a sidecar race one time. That's a whole different experience, lol).
    The Traffic PSB would not likely know there's a difference. I'd still be inclined to follow LJH's advice and push for the 'D' category. Given the familiarity with which the local BJ Traffic PSB deal and have dealt with foreigners, there's a good chance they are familiar with this request. Never heard the term "monkey" swinging on an outfit... where I'm from they're termed 'swingers' hehehe. A couple I used to house share with many many years ago raced outfits, he rode, she swung
    Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist
    - Pablo Picasso

4. #14 Re: New member, Beijing! 
    Lao Jia Hou, did you live on the West Coast at one point? You're spot on about the DMV personnel back in the States... you'd think that they were affiliated with the mob to be so damn rude and still keep their jobs.
    Give it time...
    One could apply that liberal interpretation here easy enough when dealing with many aspects of daily life and work in many contexts - it's far from peaches and cream here... IMHO.
    - Pablo Picasso

5. #15 Re: New member, Beijing! 
    Heh, swingers :P

This particular sidecar motorcycle got up over 150 MPH (about 240 KPH) down the front straight. My visor flew open on our second warm-up lap, DOH! It was a pretty cool machine. Amazing how much power you can feel and how much it slides around the corners.

6. #16 Re: New member, Beijing! 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Ah, ok. I was just guessing about the WA state DLs. Tx for clarification. BTW, I've heard that the Beijing TMB has copies of virtually every jurisdiction's DLs, and associated rules, so you best come clean with what you are licensed for.

My DMV experience is from just North of you, in Canuckistan ... just as rude (despite being Canadian), and a similar multi-volume set of nanny rules always at the ready.

BTW, that is some scary looking sidecar racing. Rule # 1 - don't eat a bran muffin before riding.

7. #17 Re: New member, Beijing! 
    Hi everyone,
    Just wanted to give an update that I got my Chinese driving license with motorcycle endorsement C1E, and now I'm bike shopping. There's a motorcycle store not far from where I live that I'll check out to see if they have the JH150 and can do a 京B plate for me.

8. #18 Re: New member, Beijing! 
    Great news and well done with the C1E 1 more can say I done it .
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

9. #19 Re: New member, Beijing! 
    Hi everyone,
    Just wanted to give an update that I got my Chinese driving license with motorcycle endorsement C1E, and now I'm bike shopping. There's a motorcycle store not far from where I live that I'll check out to see if they have the JH150 and can do a 京B plate for me.
    Congrats... spend time shopping round and don't be too eager to pull that trigger. Also be wary of what dealers tell you or promise you. If they suggest or promise to do such and such, get it done before you hand all money over. Once most local sellers have your money there is little to no incentive for them to help or make good on any pre-purchase promises. They can look you straight in the eyes and lie full on without flinching.

If it was me, I'd go for a 250cc before I'd go for a 150... as the 150cc will get old real quick IMO... just sayin... YMMV
    - Pablo Picasso

10. #20 Re: New member, Beijing! 
    Can confirm you can't beat C.C. for long rides, just done over 24K on the 125cc YBR ( big bore kit to 150cc) in 30 weeks and to be fair I have rode the bike hard over that time with some long runs
    using 80% of the revs for long periods of time and sadly the engine bearings are all shot
    found them to be cheap Chinese parts so replaced with Japanese branded parts , which brings me onto my
    point maybe a 250cc would of lasted longer !
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast