Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. #11 Re: 8000km with no plan 

We follow the 303 for several days, getting higher and closer to Tibet. The scenery is gobsmackingly beautiful and the road at times is so new we ride on smoking asphalt.
    We pass through Xiaojin and Danba and eventually we come to Litang. Its not possible to go further west without a guide and various permits so we turn south towards Daocheng. We ride for days, stopping to eat and sleep. The names of the towns mean nothing we just enjoy the roads. Everything is cheap and the cops give us no trouble, we are cruising. We come to Peoples Provincial Highway (S216) heading south from Xianggelilazhen. Seeing this bridge. We are afraid and do not want to cross the bridge.

We ride along the valley but there is no other bridge or ford. The river is high and fast, a dirty brown uninviting mess that I don’t even want to look at. Turning around and riding back hundreds of km is our option so Murray walks down to inspect the bridge. He doesn’t come back so I scramble down the goat track which passes as the approach road. There are signs of recent maintenance and the cables are greased and at least 25mm in diameter, there are lots of cables, the bridge is actually strong. It is however swaying about like a drunken whore and just like a drunken whore we decide to ride it.
    When I say ride I mean cross it. I had no intention of riding across as the thing was swaying like the aforementioned whore. I took off my jacket and helmet, slipped the bike into first and walked it over then rode up the track on the far side. Murray just rode straight over in full gear. We were now on the Wawa highway to Muli.
    The bridge sets the tone for the Wawa. The road is rough as guts made of rocks and red clay, remote, inhabited only by ethnic minorities, travelled only by bikes or horses. We are very happy to be here.
    It is quite a long way to Muli and it is not a place to ride fast. So slowly go we went and of course it eventually became dark. Around the corner this appeared.
    Our home for the night complete with roof, covered parking and pool table.

2. #12 Re: 8000km with no plan 
    C-Moto Regular
    Fuck. where did you find a KTM duke? I'd kill for one of those in Chengdu.
    Whats the bike your giving away free? I live in Chengdu also.

3. #13 Re: 8000km with no plan 
    China V it is indeed the 216, we rode down the Eastern part of the loop after we had crossed that bridge. Sure didn’t look like it was new but it came out to Muli after a day and a half. You can see that a bridge has been washed away under the swing bridge and there is a ford there which I suppose would be passable in the dry season .

We stayed the night here

4. #14 Re: 8000km with no plan 
    Quote Originally Posted by VroomVroom View Post
    Fuck. where did you find a KTM duke? I'd kill for one of those in Chengdu.
    Whats the bike your giving away free? I live in Chengdu also.
    The Duke is a 94 model with left hand kick only, it goes well but the guy wants a lot of money for it .If you want to have a look at it give me a call I can take you there. Wechat johngbtyler

5. #15 Re: 8000km with no plan 

Yep we were also short of water

6. #16 Re: 8000km with no plan 

Although there was plenty falling from the sky.

7. #17 Re: 8000km with no plan 
    Great RR the pictures are amazing but your choice of font sucks (black)?? it makes reading very hard for us old timers heheh . I think I can recall seeing that bridge before in someone else RR. could be wrong.
    Last edited by prince666; 09-15-2014 at 08:37 AM.
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

8. #18 Re: 8000km with no plan 
    Sorry I have the font set to white that is about it for my computer programming skills. I am writing on a word doc and pasting it here but this font also set to white. Open to any suggestions.

ok got it now ,cant edit the posts with pics sorry . Will stay away from the darkside from now on.
    Last edited by zhu; 09-15-2014 at 10:43 AM.

9. #19 Re: 8000km with no plan 

10. #20 Re: 8000km with no plan 
    We finally got to Muli and I don’t know what is the story there but the cops had a little hissy fit , told us we couldn’t stay and to get on our bikes right now (8pm and getting dark). After a bit of negotiation we were allowed to stay the night but we were not allowed to exit to the south. We road 40km north and then took another road to a checkpoint. Much phone calling and visa inspecting later we were free to proceed.
    No idea what is up with the place but I would suggest giving it a miss. They did have awesome bbq pork chops though .

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast