Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Looking to upgrade my dual sport in China. 
    C-Moto Regular
    I currently own a Shineray x1 (150cc) dual sport. Has done me well but really missing having more power and longer gearing. I'm planning a multi-country trip next year so want to upgrade.
    I'm looking for a dual sport that meets these requirements:

- Legal to register in China (Chengdu)
    - 250cc+
    - Reliable
    - Good for some off-road and touring long distance (Big tank, nice cruising revs, luggage rack)
    - Easy to source parts
    - Under 15,000 rmb (can push this higher if need be).

I drove a DJebel suzuki XC 250 and it felt amazing. But does not meet some of the above requirements, Looking for something similar.

Any advice is appreciated.

2. #2 Re: Looking to upgrade my dual sport in China. 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    based on your selection criteria... good luck with that oxymoron...
    Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist
    - Pablo Picasso

3. #3 Re: Looking to upgrade my dual sport in China. 
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerdoc View Post
    based on your selection criteria... good luck with that oxymoron...

That one got me Doc had to look at the meaning ....... (oxymoron)

Got it now

As i would say he has 2 "HOPES"

1 ... BOB HOPE
    2.... NO HOPE

But i wish you luck ........

After reading your old post about problems you have had with the X1 I can understand your reason
    to look for a better bike

Front brake pulsating at slow speeds
    - Chain keeps stretching far too much resulting in rough gear changes (chain is new, sprockets aren't)
    - Gear ratios are far too short for long distance
    - Black smoke from exhaust at very high RPM's (I guess the carb needs cleaning)
    - Bike stalls every 20-60minutes randomly. Easy to start up again.
    - Battery needs replacing (2years, no change)
    - Headlight needs change (I'm not sure which type to replace it with, I can't find this information anywhere) H2/H1??
    - Slightly stiff steering at slow speeds (compared to another bike I drove)

Just out of curiosity what are the power specs on the X1 i.e. KW and Nm ??? for the 150 cc
    Last edited by prince666; 09-17-2014 at 08:18 PM.
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

4. #4 Re: Looking to upgrade my dual sport in China. 
    C-Moto Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by prince666 View Post
    That one got me Doc had to look at the meaning ....... (oxymoron)

Got it now

As i would say he has 2 "HOPES"

1 ... BOB HOPE
    2.... NO HOPE

But i wish you luck ........

After reading your old post about problems you have had with the X1 I can understand your reason
    to look for a better bike

Just out of curiosity what are the power specs on the X1 i.e. KW and Nm ??? for the 150 cc
    Some 250's can be registered? no?

actually most of the problems with tbe x1 have mainly been maintenance required. Not sure on the kws. But not enough power for long distances required to travel around China.

i understand that some of the criteria is a little hypocritical. But just looking for some recommendations of what people have. Buying a used Japanese bike is out of the question. If I have to increase budget then tell me what you recommend I increase it to.
    Last edited by VroomVroom; 09-18-2014 at 12:26 AM.

5. #5 Re: Looking to upgrade my dual sport in China. 
    Hi Vroom and Welcome!

My advice. You can't get any 250cc bike worth a shit for 15,000 new. If you find one it will be a brightly polished China-bike turd.

However your best bet, and damn it won't be easy is to find a used/plated and hopefully insured Yamaha YBR250 put a road/trail tire on the front or both ends with the official luggage racks you kind find on Taobao, then optional hand guards, gators and home brew a sump guard. Alternatively just buy a new YBR250 and do that.

Or buy a Sundiro Honda CBF150 and kit it out or buy a YBR125G or K or whatever it's called.

I'm not saying no 'China bike ever' in fact I think a Jialing JH600 would be a great bike for you, but it might be a little over budget, but damn I'd stretch for one if you find a 2nd hand one.

6. #6 Re: Looking to upgrade my dual sport in China. 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    Hi Vroom and Welcome!

My advice. You can't get any 250cc bike worth a shit for 15,000 new. If you find one it will be a brightly polished China-bike turd.

However your best bet, and damn it won't be easy is to find a used/plated and hopefully insured Yamaha YBR250 put a road/trail tire on the front or both ends with the official luggage racks you kind find on Taobao, then optional hand guards, gators and home brew a sump guard. Alternatively just buy a new YBR250 and do that.

Or buy a Sundiro Honda CBF150 and kit it out or buy a YBR125G or K or whatever it's called.

I'm not saying no 'China bike ever' in fact I think a Jialing JH600 would be a great bike for you, but it might be a little over budget, but damn I strrech for one if you find a 2nd hand one.
    +1

The YBR125G or YBR125KG model is a dual sport bike, a worthy contender... the YBR250 is a road bike, but as stated a set of knobblies might get the bike better suited, however a YBR125G or KG it is not... but based on OP's criteria the 125cc fails to make the power grade. Still I think it's a better bike all round compared to the sounds of the X1.

The JH600 is definitely a worthy contender too, and if the OP were to trawl the MCM for sale section there was fairly high mileage one for sale in SH for somewhere round the OP's budget. On the local buyer scene the JH600 has little to no value at that mileage IMO. There are few used JH600's for sale though... a new one will set a potential buyer back 35K+ depending on the particular model wanted. Unfortunately there aint much else worth consideration as ZMC888 quite rightly points out, from local manufacturers at this moment in time IMO, especially at the OP's price point.

OP - Good luck.
    Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist
    - Pablo Picasso

7. #7 Re: Looking to upgrade my dual sport in China. 

Rx3 gotta be the best 250 available now , You can even test ride it in Chengdu. 2 year 30k warranty and 20,800 rmb without the tin boxes. I am buying one soon so if you don't like the rx3 buy my haojian 250 for 8k.
    Crap ! Photobucket wants 99 cents! Anyway Zongshen Rx3 I,m sure you know what it looks like.

8. #8 Re: Looking to upgrade my dual sport in China. 
    The reason I ask about the KW and NM on the X1 is that I modified my engine on the Yamaha YBR KG 125cc to obtain 10 KW and 22.4 NM which is a massive increase in NM
    The NM now is in line with a 250cc engine. On my recent 10,000 km trip around China/ Thailand the standard engine on the YBR did lack a bit of power, but was still ok with me and 70 KG on the back and would still hit just over 100 kmh .
    The YBR KG cost new just over 10K and is a dual-spots bike great for off road and still very good for the roads. The engine modification engine only will cost under 2k so now you can get a bike with the NM of a 250cc and well under 15K and that's if you buy a new YBR. Find a old engine damaged one and then re-build the engine. Change the back sprocket to 2 T more and you will find the bike will zoom up hills in 3rd gear compared to the OE engine would struggled in 2nd gear, even with the 2 T bigger sprocket on the back the YBR now hits close to 120 Kmh but using more rpm. fuel range is close to 450 km and will sit all-day at 90 kmh.
    The whole bike is ideally suited for Chinese roads and boy would it be a very good bike around IMO "IF" it was made with a 250cc engine but that said the YBR road bike comes in at over 22K and maybe my KG in a 250cc could cost more.
    Now to find someone to modifier the engine in China and to do a good job will be your hardest challenge ??? most of parts can be found on Taobao.
    Have now done over 20,000 KM and 10k with the modified engine runs like dream love it .

just my 2 cents

thailand and hainan 2014 1620.jpg
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

9. #9 Re: Looking to upgrade my dual sport in China. 
    C-Moto Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    Hi Vroom and Welcome!

I'm not saying no 'China bike ever' in fact I think a Jialing JH600 would be a great bike for you, but it might be a little over budget, but damn I strrech for one if you find a 2nd hand one.
    The jialing does look nice but yes, too far out of my price range and I think too much power/weight. Not experienced enough for that. I'll take a look at the yamaha's. I dont do any serious off-roading, just the odd gravel/mud road that is inevitable in my area of China. I only plan to keep the bike for 1-2 years so don't need something that will last me the next 20 years.

Quote Originally Posted by prince666 View Post
    The reason I ask about the KW and NM on the X1 is that I modified my engine on the Yamaha YBR KG 125cc to obtain 10 KW and 22.4 NM which is a massive increase in NM
    The NM now is in line with a 250cc engine. On my recent 10,000 km trip around China/ Thailand the standard engine on the YBR did lack a bit of power, but was still ok with me and 70 KG on the back and would still hit just over 100 kmh .
    The YBR KG cost new just over 10K and is a dual-spots bike great for off road and still very good for the roads. The engine modification engine only will cost under 2k so now you can get a bike with the NM of a 250cc and well under 15K and that's if you buy a new YBR. Find a old engine damaged one and then re-build the engine. Change the back sprocket to 2 T more and you will find the bike will zoom up hills in 3rd gear compared to the OE engine would struggled in 2nd gear, even with the 2 T bigger sprocket on the back the YBR now hits close to 120 Kmh but using more rpm. fuel range is close to 450 km and will sit all-day at 90 kmh.
    The whole bike is ideally suited for Chinese roads and boy would it be a very good bike around IMO "IF" it was made with a 250cc engine but that said the YBR road bike comes in at over 22K and maybe my KG in a 250cc could cost more.
    Now to find someone to modifier the engine in China and to do a good job will be your hardest challenge ??? most of parts can be found on Taobao.
    Have now done over 20,000 KM and 10k with the modified engine runs like dream love it .

just my 2 cents

thailand and hainan 2014 1620.jpg
    This sounds great but I find it very difficult in China finding a good mechanic who can make all these changes. What about the reliability of the YBR? Have any problems with it?
    My Shinerayx1 does about 100kmh top pseed and cruises at 70-80. Its geared very low so hits the high RPM's very early. Lots of vibration.

Quote Originally Posted by zhu View Post

Rx3 gotta be the best 250 available now , You can even test ride it in Chengdu. 2 year 30k warranty and 20,800 rmb without the tin boxes. I am buying one soon so if you don't like the rx3 buy my haojian 250 for 8k.
    Crap ! Photobucket wants 99 cents! Anyway Zongshen Rx3 I,m sure you know what it looks like.
    Just had a look at the rx3 and it looks like a good contender for my next purchase. Don't wouldn't need the tin boxes. How would it be off-road?
    Last edited by VroomVroom; 09-18-2014 at 05:26 AM.

10. #10 Re: Looking to upgrade my dual sport in China. 
    This sounds great but I find it very difficult in China finding a good mechanic who can make all these changes. What about the reliability of the YBR? Have any problems with it?
    As I said the YBR is a good made all round bike road and off road version, done over 10.000 km with the new engine upgrade sweet as a nut , did fit a oil cooler to keep the engine inline.
    What I done was to buy a new YBR and do a great ride over to Thailand , will the intension off having the engine modified by competent mechanics, that way I killed 2 birds with one stone , have a great ride in other countries and get the bike modified at the same time, can help you with the contacts in Thailand is this is the way for you, due to leave again in December with 1 more new YBR KG to be modified in Thailand?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast