Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 I値l never take the elevator again ? 
    People see China as a great and safe place ??? I for one think when I see such a sad accident I just get pissed off with the whole shit who cares a fuck about safety attitude we see all the time living here in China. R.I.P.

Warning: this video contains disturbing images that may upset some viewers.

This is currently the most watched video on Youku with over 2.8 million views

A student at Huaqiao University got stuck in the school elevator and died of suffocation, this incident happened in Xiamen

On the night of September 14th, according to the verified Sina Weibo account of Huaqiao University News Center: Today at around 17:50, our school security received a call claiming that a student was stuck in the C4 elevator in the comprehensive teaching building. After the report, campus security immediately called 110, 119, and 120, at the same time rushed to the scene. At around 18:00, after the rescue workers opened the elevator, they discovered that this student was stuck in the elevator opening, and had already suffocated to death. The police and supervising authorities are currently investigating this incident

At times I really thing about the saying.... "There, but for the Grace of God, go I"
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

2. #2 Re: I値l never take the elevator again ? 
    There is that horrific incident caught on video of that one woman who got decapitated... in a crowded elevator in front of fellow riders, no less! Yes, RIP!!

3. #3 Re: I値l never take the elevator again ? 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    That is a very sad incident IMO.

The inner elevator doors and outer floor doors being open - normally provide a fail safe between the electromechanical system to the door interlocks essentially providing a type of negative feedback loop. The elevator should not have moved with the doors open, other than either a significant failure of either the door interlock or electromechanical components, or when the over ride key is used e.g. fire service personal or lift company maintenance.

When the elevator is aligned with the outer door opening, the ramp activates a limit switch to stop the elevator from moving. If the door interlock switches also sense that the elevator is in the proper/assigned floor location, the electric door opening motor is activated to open both the inner elevator doors and the outer floor doors.

If the elevator had a current safety inspection certificate then likely the elevator company will be held to task for the majority of compensation, though I can imagine that the university or institution will likely be held accountable too.

--- that was sad to watch.

Suffocation absolutely due to severe and constant compression of the diaphragm and chest wall impeding any movement, however looking at MoI, significant crush injury syndrome also would have been a real and significant contributor including significant fracture of the rib cage likely leading to both pneumothorax and haemothorax.

It amazes but also saddens and troubles me that this type of video especially where the victim can be easily identified, makes it onto a public platform (you.ku)... not good (insensitive) for the victims family and friends to have to see/witness this trauma and suffering of a loved one. This video IMO differs somewhat with the grainy videos of the road crashes and the like to my mind as those often have images that make recognition of participants difficult. This video provides far more clarity. IMO.

I feel for the victim, the person who accompanied the victim and only by chance avoided a similar fate, and those of the victims family and friends.

YMMV
    Last edited by bikerdoc; 09-20-2014 at 07:40 AM.
    Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist
    - Pablo Picasso