Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: I need help!!!!

1. #1 I need help!!!! 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hello Guys, my name is Uwe and am a German biker.
    I am in China working and living now more then three years.
    All time I wanna enjoy my hobby to ride a bike, but I canīt find a way to do.
    Now Iīve met some foreigner there are riding bikes, but illegal. I have a Chinese driver license for car and bike so I think it must work.
    One problem may I have because I have a flat in Shijiazhuang capital city of Hebai province.
    My next job site will be in Henan province where I plan to buy a KTM 390.
    Now I would like to know if anyone has some information what will happen if I will take my bike to Shijiazhuang, because Iīve got
    the information all bikes are forbidden here in Shijiazhuang.
    It will be very helpful for me to get some information how it works here in that city.
    Thanks a lot and best regards,
    Uwe

2. #2 Re: I need help!!!! 
    C-Moto Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by noname0171 View Post
    Hello Guys, my name is Uwe and am a German biker.
    I am in China working and living now more then three years.
    All time I wanna enjoy my hobby to ride a bike, but I canīt find a way to do.
    Now Iīve met some foreigner there are riding bikes, but illegal. I have a Chinese driver license for car and bike so I think it must work.
    One problem may I have because I have a flat in Shijiazhuang capital city of Hebai province.
    My next job site will be in Henan province where I plan to buy a KTM 390.
    Now I would like to know if anyone has some information what will happen if I will take my bike to Shijiazhuang, because Iīve got
    the information all bikes are forbidden here in Shijiazhuang.
    It will be very helpful for me to get some information how it works here in that city.
    Thanks a lot and best regards,
    Uwe
    Most cities have the rule of where you will be allowed to drive them. Maybe not allowed to drive in the city but outside will be fine. You might have problems registering the bike if you live in the city. you might need to sort out some paperwork for residence outside the city in order to register it. Not sure on the specifics of the city though. Maybe you can phone the local police and ask them.

3. #3 Re: I need help!!!! 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    G'Day Uwe. You'll likely find that riding a MC within the MC banned area will/may lead to fine and possibly confiscation of the MC. Some locations also deduct points from the riders drivers licence. As VroomVroom points out, attempting to plate your MC legally within the MC banned area of Shijiazhuang is not likely to be an option. You'll probably find that there will be some suburb/area or district nearby Shijiazhuang that MC's can be plated/insured in etc. You'd need to show proof of residence in that area unless you get a trusted (cough cough) local to help you.

If you buy your Duke 390 in Henan as planned, and get it plated there, then you take the MC back to Shijiazhuang, Hebei province (not Hebai) - your bike can retain the plate etc from Henan. Keep in mind though that you then have to return the bike back to city where the bike is plated in Henan for the inspection when it's due. If you ride in the Shijiazhuang banned area, you might get stopped, you might get a fine, you might get points deducted from your PRC DL, you might end up with your MC confiscated. You might not experience any of these.

If you want to transfer the bike officially between cities (e.g. Henan to Hebei) then you must do this through the Traffic Management PSB where the bike is first plated in Henan, taking with you all your documents (registration slips, passport, DL etc). Normally both buyer and seller must be present for this process. The Henan based Traffic Management PSB will provide hard copies related to the bike registration (including relevant documents of the previous and new owner) and seal these into a large official envelope - which has to remain sealed (thus creating a file) which will given to the new owner. Any tampering of the file (envelope) results in the MC becoming un-registrable. Transaction fees need to be paid. The bikes current plates are removed and retained by the Henan Traffic Management PSB, who will issue a temporary paper plate (which is only valid for 21-28 days). Long enough supposedly for the bike to be transferred to the new intended location (provided that intended jurisdiction allows MC's).

You will have to work this one through before you action it... as you need to consider ongoing insurance and inspection both of which can be dependent of the other. Meaning without valid insurance, one can't complete the MC inspection. The MC must be legal (which includes a valid/current inspection) at the time of insurance. So the two often are done on the same day at the appropriate Traffic Management PSB. During the re-inspection process, one goes to another office or counter at the Traffic Management PSB to buy the insurance, after which one often has to wait for 30-60 minutes for the Traffic Management PSB IT system to be updated (the IT system is shared). Once the Traffic Management PSB IT system is updated showing current insurance then the blue wallet card can be updated.

Major caveat... TIC - one country made of many little kingdo0ms each with it's own seat of power and chieftains. What works in one place may not in another!
    Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist
    - Pablo Picasso