Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: Hello folks!

1. #1 Hello folks! 
    C-Moto Noob
    I am Adam, been living in Shanghai for over a year. When I arrived to China I tried to get Chinese motorcycle licence but seeing / hearing how difficult it is, just gave up. Got myself a nice scooter and though I should be fine with it. Eventually got pissed off and decided to get the licence. Here is what I did:

- If i had motorcycle driving licence it would far easier just to convert it to type D or E, sadly I just hold car driving licence issued in the UK,
    - got my Chinese friend to call two side car motorcycle shops that claim to help foreigners to go through driving school and all the steps. Both places said they do not offer any help even though it says they do, and how much they charge.

So as for now, I am hopeless and desperate how to obtain Chinese motorcycle licence if my Chinese is almost non existing. Is there any way to deal with that?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Adam :)

2. #2 Re: Hello folks! 
    Hi and welcome
    You need to start with reading this thread on MCM loads of pages and loads of different story's
    but until you understand the whole picture, were do you start? it all come down on how bad you want to be legal.
    Just start at what you need? and start chipping away at getting all the correct documents and in the end YOU will get it done , don't give up.

wish you luck

Link .... http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...rcycle-License

P.S. I have a full C1E Chinese DL with no motorbike category on my UK DL!
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

3. #3 Re: Hello folks! 
    C-Moto Noob
    I have spent enough time getting information and reading various forums or articles in order to understand how to obtain motorcycle licence. Having only car licence forces me to start from the driving school here in Shanghai. While the theory test can be done in English, driving school most likely not. I need to know if there are any places where then speak English or anyone could accompany / help with translating. It seem to be doable but I can not find any information where I should go. Possibly some people on here have gone this way?

4. #4 Re: Hello folks! 
    Ok I now understand you need help from someone in Shanghai well that's puts me out of here.
    Well good luck
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

5. #5 Re: Hello folks! 
    As I said before you need to read on MCM , sorry to say people don't use the search box
    well here is a link that could help you from MCM.
    http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...enses+Shanghai

I did my E Chinese DL from scratch with Jinqiu Driving School at Wubao Rd. (金球驾校,吴宝路), close to Hongqiao Airport. I did everything in Chinese though, including the two computer tests. Perhaps you can do tests in English, but I'm not sure. Anyway, no one there speaks English. To make it more difficult, the instructor for the "road test" gives his comments in Shanghaiese by default, and switches to Mandarin only if you ask him to do so. But he's a nice guy. In general they don't teach anything there, but rather tell you how to pass the exam. It takes about 10 weeks from the health checkup to getting the DL into your hands. In May the price was 1500 RMB. I've heard about another school (军体驾校) that does E licences, but I didn't check that as Jinqiu was more convenient for me.

Good luck!
    M.

7. #7 Re: Hello folks! 
    C-Moto Noob
    Theory test can be done in English, so not worried about that actually. I know that staff at driving school will not speak English, although I heard about someone attending the course and having English speaking instructor. Anyway, what I am hoping for, that I will be allowed to bring a friend along and help with translating. Not sure how this would go, but that is my only chance.