Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. #11 Re: please help SOS especially humanbeing :P 
    C-Moto Noob
    Completely unrelated but im buying a quad bike on taobao soon and was wondering if its legal to ride on the road and what registration process i have to go through. I am a student in Jinzhou, Liaoning. You help will be appreciated

2. #12 Re: please help SOS especially humanbeing :P 
    As far as I am aware quad bikes are not road legal in China. This is because they have no license category. I have seen them ridden on road illegally, and I wouldn't bother unless it was a seriously rural area. Silly covered four wheel vehicles with scooter engines and 3 wheelers are legal in some areas and others as 'old people cars' with special registration some with normal yellow motorcycle 'lower form of life' plates.

I know it's a silly rule. In China color-blind people are banned from driving, but I've heard of one-eyed and colorblind international airline pilots...go figure. Obviously quads are fun, and any bureaucrat would be against that on principal.

3. #13 Re: please help SOS especially humanbeing :P 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by meaddict View Post
    Completely unrelated but im buying a quad bike on taobao soon and was wondering if its legal to ride on the road and what registration process i have to go through. I am a student in Jinzhou, Liaoning. You help will be appreciated
    Nope, quads are not legal, non registrable, cannot be ridden on public roads legally - period.
    Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist
    - Pablo Picasso

4. #14 Re: please help SOS especially humanbeing :P 
    C-Moto Noob
    Thanks ZMC888 and bikerdoc but i think i might take the risk lol

5. #15 Re: please help SOS especially humanbeing :P 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by meaddict View Post
    Thanks ZMC888 and bikerdoc but i think i might take the risk lol
    OK meaddict, just so you fully appreciate the possible consequences and risks involved of riding/driving illegally. A local resident very recently spent a compulsory period of time in lock up for riding a unlicensed/plated motor scooter, without a DL and while doing so riding the local streets near my neighbourhood, and while attempting to avoid a set of traffic lights, cut over the wrong side of the road to take a corner into a side street. He hit a child. A foreign child. I dealt with that child in the ER in the hospital I work in. That child was fortunate not to be more seriously injured. So was the rider!

The rider aside from loosing his liberty for the entire October vacation as well as several days before hand, he also lost his only means of transport albeit unlicensed and uninsured. He also has to still face the financial penalty, which will be no less than 5K (a bond the Traffic PSB officer has already taken from the rider). That is before he is dealt with the 'justice system'. But then being a local he might have some Guanxi to play yet.

The rider also suffered some deep abrasions though I can't make a comment to the extent of his injuries.

So 'meaddict' before you go out and buy your intended set of wheels, ask yourself, are you willing to take the risk? Ride a set of wheels knowingly illegally. More importantly, are you willing and able to take on the consequences should the situation go tits up? Are you willing to sacrifice your ride to confiscation should you be stopped while riding in locales you shouldn't? If you are involved in an accident especially one involving injury or damage - then the consequences may not be so easy to get out of lightly. Think mandatory jail time, confiscation and confiscation, restitution and possible deportation as has happened to other 'unfortunate' foreign riders. Even some foreign riders have ended up having to pay what might amount to extortionate like compensation sums.

To say nothing of the possibility of permanent injury or even death.

Round this area many foreigners/locals who've been riding illegally for a variety of reasons, are reconsidering their legal riding status with many going legal. Enforcement actions are getting tougher, and what was considered to be once minor traffic infractions have been upgraded to the more serious criminal offences.
    Last edited by bikerdoc; 10-09-2014 at 04:46 AM.
    Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist
    - Pablo Picasso

6. #16 Re: please help SOS especially humanbeing :P 
    So you are in Jinzhou Liaoning? Is that correct? Hmm right similar size to my city I think. Bikerdoc is talking about the consequences in Ningbo and maybe similar in Shanghai and central Beijing. So that means sure where you are, sure, you can get away with it most of the time. But wrong day, with a purge and you can find yourself in trouble and if you hit someone uninsured could see you become a human ATM, not worth it, unless maybe you know the mayor or the chief of police.

Likely that you aren't connected to god, I'd seriously suggest keeping your quad in a village way on the edge of town and use it on country lanes and dirt tracks only. Please don't use it to commute around town.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12