Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Suzuki GW250 V.S. Benelli 300gs 
    hi guys, its been a while...
    was out today for a short ride, well i planned to ride longer to enjoy the nice weather but was caught checking bike instead. I sat on the benelli 300gs for the first time and i have to admit it looks way better than my GW, not sure though how it performs. The GW works perfectly fine and never experienced any problems with it, except for the unfortunate incident

Asked the dealer if i could trade-in my bike for a brand new Benelli, was quoted 10k for it (excluding the plate transfer and registration fee ofcourse)
    would u guys consider the deal if u were in position? or any one have more information how the benelli300gs perfoms? any feedback will be much appreciated

2. #2 Re: Suzuki GW250 V.S. Benelli 300gs 
    10k for a 24,000 when new GW250 is a horrible offer and 10,000 for a trade-in is just pure greed. Although how many kms, what condition and how old is the GW? As far as I could imagine 15,000 would be rock bottom for any GW250.

The Benelli....it looks OK...made by Qianjiang in China. Not a JV bike, Chinese management in control, does the tank sticker say 'please not be driving after drink and drunk, always wear bright protected clothes'? I think a Benelli 300 will be a few niggles in the first month, fairly OK first year, annoyances in second year requiring new parts, 4-5 year lifespan. Suzuki some minor niggles for first 5 years 7-10 year lifespan. You be mad to sell the Suzuki IMHO.

3. #3 Re: Suzuki GW250 V.S. Benelli 300gs 
    Not knowing Chinese motorcycle economics, I think, as ZCM888 pointed out, the joint venture part would be key here. The Suzuki is a Suzuki, with worldwide sales of these things vs. the Benelli which may or may not be. At least not now in many countries (i.e. we have the GW, but no Benellis as far as I know), and might never be! Stick with the mainstream brand name since you already own it.

4. #4 Re: Suzuki GW250 V.S. Benelli 300gs 
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    10k for a 24,000 when new GW250 is a horrible offer and 10,000 for a trade-in is just pure greed.
    Ooooppss, Maybe i didn't made it clear, he's more than willing to take the GW but i need to cash out 10k for a brand new benelli. Since my bike only has 5k kms in it i was hoping to lower it down like 8k ish. i ride it daily just to commute to work.

Ive tried checking reviews of the benelii in Chinese website using google chrome but its not translating lately. Still clueless on how it performs or at least the early experience of the owners.

I agree with the sticking with the mainstream brand but suzuki is tied up with a chinese company too. Haojue has been assembling bikes of suzuki in mainland for years. And I'm certain the GWs being sold in overseas are buit in china as well, I know it has something to do with suzuki's quality control policy that makes their bikes in general not only the GWs quality top class.

I'm just being positive here but maybe qianjiang/benelli already figure things out and the 2-year run of the bj600gs taught them a thing or two ....or..... maybe it's just wishful thinking. Still on the fence here guys not rushing it though, still need more opinions before i make any final decision. My main concern is just like what ZMC said, don't wanna kill myself for giving up a great bike for something uncertain.

5. #5 Re: Suzuki GW250 V.S. Benelli 300gs 
    Quote Originally Posted by crismoe' View Post
    Ooooppss, Maybe i didn't made it clear, he's more than willing to take the GW but i need to cash out 10k for a brand new benelli. Since my bike only has 5k kms in it i was hoping to lower it down like 8k ish. i ride it daily just to commute to work.

Ive tried checking reviews of the benelii in Chinese website using google chrome but its not translating lately. Still clueless on how it performs or at least the early experience of the owners.

I agree with the sticking with the mainstream brand but suzuki is tied up with a chinese company too. Haojue has been assembling bikes of suzuki in mainland for years. And I'm certain the GWs being sold in overseas are buit in china as well, I know it has something to do with suzuki's quality control policy that makes their bikes in general not only the GWs quality top class.

I'm just being positive here but maybe qianjiang/benelli already figure things out and the 2-year run of the bj600gs taught them a thing or two ....or..... maybe it's just wishful thinking. Still on the fence here guys not rushing it though, still need more opinions before i make any final decision. My main concern is just like what ZMC said, don't wanna kill myself for giving up a great bike for something uncertain.
    OK, I think I got it. So you give him 10,000 extra and you get the 302? Well make sure you get about 20,000 yuan for a GW with only 5000kms, if it's in reasonable condition. So how much is the Qianjiang/Benelli BN302 new?
    Turns out there is a fair bit on the internet about this bike. Here is an Australian unridden/rumor review.

OK so there is something going for this thing.
    It is pretty powerful up there with the Kawasaki Ninja, and has some tech and looks nice. Qiangjiang are one of the better manufacturers and are putting in real effort. The weight is similar to the Suzuki.

If it was me I'd weight a while and try to get some 10,000km reviews. I was discussing Benelli with some of my Chinese friends recently, they said the BJ600 was uncomfortable, top heavy and had a low-tech engine, and initial reports seem that the 302 is a better package altogether, and a 300 twin priced right is something that really might sell.

So I'll give you a 'maybe'. There is something there, a chunk more power rev and excitement above what a GW can provide, but does it handle better? Is it R&D'd better are the parts and assembly as good? Highly doubt it, I can't really say outright 'no' as Qiangjiang are clearly moving in the right direction, and need to be given some credit.

6. #6 Re: Suzuki GW250 V.S. Benelli 300gs 
    Quote Originally Posted by crismoe' View Post

I know the Suzuki GW's are all built in China, but the circumstances are different...Suzuki gets to 'call the shots' at their joint venture, while the Benelli...who knows, although ZCM888 made it sound like the Chinese 'call the shots' at that factory, and I am pretty sure he is not just making it up!

7. #7 Re: Suzuki GW250 V.S. Benelli 300gs 
    Quote Originally Posted by culcune View Post
    Suzuki gets to 'call the shots' at their joint venture, while the Benelli...who knows
    Yup, i'm afraid that's the case for qianjiang/benelli here in China. Too bad, with the name and Italian heritage their carrying it wont be that hard to surpass all jap JV brands here in mainland if they could just hold their act together. And yeah, qianjiang's customer service sucks as far as i heard.
    BTW a brand new BN302 retails for 24000 rmb....

Anyway, tnx for the feedback guys will keep u posted