Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 9 Days Italian Trip with Keeway (QuanJiang) Cruisers 
    C-Moto Guru
    Introduction:
    This trip may be for some of you a little weird, because it was a religious trip with a tourism as option.

I started it to pray for my Son (he will be born in 10-14 days ) in a place in which is hold the Veil of Veronica(a Catholic relic of a piece of cloth, which, according to legend, bears the likeness of the face of Jesus not made by human hand)

I will not write much of the religious part of the trip, more of the other side of the trip.
    Please be patient, because i must translate a lot, and my English is not so excellent.

Then, lets start:

Day 0 (Friday)
    In the morning before work I threw the entire tourist inventory on the bike and drove to work.

While driving I checked again the steering wheel and ?
    And at a speed of 40km/h after releasing the steering, front wheel is dancing, a litle bit, but still.
    At lower and higher speeds, nothing happens.
    Damn, i have a trip over 3 thousand kilometers and with moto is something wrong.

-the headframe beering was checked
    -Wheel balanced (static)
    That might be broken wheel bearing, I have new bearings with me so I will be check this at my friends (Jack).

It ended up, that the bearings are ok ...

A quick phone to a friend, what he think, it may be that the rear wheel is not in the axis with the front wheel?

Well there is such possibility, so we look for a bracket (with a flashlight), setting the wheels.

At 23:00 the problem was not solved, but i decided to go on this trip.
    I will go as it is.

Moreover, it turned out that on the bike of my friend Jack is exactly the same ... riddle unsolved to this day.
    It was the time to sleep, the next morning we start...

Day 1 Saturday

In the morning a delicious breakfast at Jack, Iza, the wife of Jack has prepared Sausages in hot sauce tomato and onion.

Additionally we got two jars of stew ... just where to push it ?.
    We ready to start the trip...

In fact, the road through the Czech Republic was boring, freeway (concrete, holes, hole cutters, concrete).
    One thing you have to give them,they can mill a surface that you do not feel you're going on milling cutters.

First stop after 100km, its free wi-fi zone, so I uploaded the first photos.
    I promissed to our members in Chineese Motorcycle Club that i will upload photos every day.

A moment later at the gas station comes a old russian car Volga.
    Very nice maintained. The driver was a little surprised that we watch at the car.
    "In Poland you had some Volgas too, or not?"

Just take a photo and on the way, the Alps wait for us !!

Just over the border between the Czech Republic and Austria started nice views, well,we thought that they are beautiful, but the later views where better.

At this day , the whole time we where chased from a rain cloud and showerheads. We purchased a vignette for Freeway and go further to Graz (Austria).
    We stopped regularly every 100km, because our asses were not comfortable with the road :-).

The pauses were not long. We have stayed at the stops only to the first drops of rain. Then we have to run from rain.
    In the surroundings of Vienna started to rain, but basically it was a sunny spells, just after the rain sun came out which was drying our jackets.
    Tunnels where godsends, before tunnel was raining, after the tunnel was whole sun.

The accommodation in Graz we had in a Closter of Fathers Missionaries-Lazarist.
    It was difficult to find them.
    Normally I ride "with the map", in the cities I prepare "driving through plan" with google street view.
    I always memorize landmarks.

Unfortunately, in Austria there are no street view, and I had plan the route "via satellite view".

The road seemed to be easy to remember, but i missed the freeway exit and used the the next one, which was an entrance to a tunnel.
    I do not know how many kilometers the tunnel was, but I had the impression that we drove under the whole city ... we left the tunnel near a quarry.

Rain Cloud was just around the corner and it got chilly.

Time to give up be a hero and launch the GPS navigation.
    Navigation we had, had a headphone jack, but micro-jack ... not mini-jack.

Jacek couldn't hear any word, but he managed trough the city just with looking on the screen.

We drove to the monastery, and the rain started ...

Lazarite Priests greeted us with bread and salt, we gave them Polish Honey (i am hobby beekeper) and Polish traditional sheep cheese.

The Priest offered us a place for bikes in a former convent corridor
    (linking the church with former hospital.) Of course we took the opportunity

Father Florian suggested that due to the heavy rain we can spend the night in the guest room in the monastery.
    But we have proposed that we will sleep in the hallway along with motorcycles.

View of the hall of the church and monastery park.

At 18:30 began the Holy Mass in the church.
    After Mass was prayers at convent chapel and singing to the Lord.
    The Team music really give advice, and the atmosphere was very friendly.

Jacek went to sleep around 2 I about 23, I woke him because he slammed the door, and the key to the corridor had he ...

to be continued...

2. #2 Re: 9 Days Italian Trip with Keeway (QuanJiang) Cruisers 
    C-Moto Guru
    Day 2 (Sunday)

We woke up quite early, The Fathers have at 7:30 breakfast, and before that they could open for us the convent/monastery gate.
    Motorcycles packed:

And so without breakfast and coffee (!) we went on the road, the highway was empty. weather was rather coldish.
    For breakfast we stopped at the Saint Leonardo pass .
    We put gas stoves on the table, water boiled in one cup for coffee, in the other stove ...

At the same parking lot, we met a Polish driver in a IVECO with broken engine ...

A man from Kłodzko transport styrofoam to Barii.
    From him we learned that the highways in Italia are boring.
    And the side roads are almost empty and give lovely views.

After eating and drinking coffee it's time to wash the dishes.
    In the men's room was no water and in the women's was no light, so Jacek washed at Women's room and I held the door.

After breakfast I went to the observation tower,

In Austria are 1000 such towers in , they are devoted to individual artists and the Länder (provinces).
    My fear of heights allowed me to do photos only from the "first" floor.

Next stop was Klagenfurt am Wurthersee.
    definitely worth it to feel this atmosphere.

By the lake was still pretty empty, but the German brass band played hits.

At the shore you can see large bream and some strange species of fish.

In Klagenfurt, we met for the first time automatic Tankstelle (gas station).
    Jack was quite skeptical about the idea of ​​buy gas in such a strange way, but the price has convinced him to do that.

It gets warmer, and I do not have anything to drink. The only shop open on Sunday was a roadside bar. 1.5liter of mineral water 2,5Euro ;-( (In Poland under 0,5 Euro).

All the way from Poland I worried about the steep climbs in the Alps. What was odd going uphill was not the problem, but a moment later when it was over the hill I had to reduce to fourth gear to keep at least 90km/h, motorcycle stopped to accelerate. Jacek caught up with me and asks if I also have a problem with the engine because it is something wrong. The motorcycle will not accelerate when drive downhill. but accelerate going uphill. After a while we realized that we are the victims of an optical illusion. Steep mountains and 'mild' driveway has done that the uphill road seemed as a downhill road.

After entering the Italy we took a quick pic, unfortunately the border sign was in an inaccessible location, so we took advantage of the name of the highway which we will not going to, "Alpe Adria".

The view from the border towards Austria.

Side route through the Alps in Italy was beautiful, here Jacek makes photos straight from the motorcycle.

As we drove a bit further to Italy was warm, so it's time for clothes change to "summer" set.
    View of the Alps priceless.

A Moment later it turned out that Italy looks but also smells. The whole time we were accompanied by a very strong smell of blooming linden and something else. I have no idea, jasmine, roses or maybe something else?
    So strong smell i had never felt before in my life and it was everywhere, not only in the area of ​​trees.
    Very pleasant feeling.

Choosing side roads you can see the real Italia, fields, orchards and beautiful small towns with historic houses. Completely different construction as in Poland. Peace and quiet and a whole bunch of scooters and motorcycles. Motorcyclists raise the lefthand to salute, but only as an answer. Anyway, it is not so strange, with so many motorcycles they would have to carry one hand all the time in air.

Along the way we found the remains of a palace or castle.

In the evening we got to Lido di Jesolo , the first camping was only for Campers and trailers. It was not possible to pitch a tent there, but the man who greeted us gave us right away a map with other camping places and more or less explain how to go there. Another campsite that we found has 4 stars, it was necessary to check the price, but I thought it would be to expensive... I'm going to the front desk and ask "Have you places for tents, and if yes then what is the price" . The receptionist sayed to me, "Is it not better we talk in Polish?" After a brief chat we came to the conclusion that we do not need 4 star camping for 25Euro / person + 1 Euro per hour of internet.

We found near the a camp with two stars "Silva", accommodation 10Euro / person, free Wi-Fi in price.
    [Url] http://www.campingsilva.it/newsite/eng/listino_camping.php [/ url]
    Except that warm shower is possible only during the day because the hot water is pulled from the Solar Panel. Camping worthy of command.

Well, here we meet a Polish Girl, with three children and an Italian husband.
    In fact, it looked so as the guy came here with colleagues and she has to watch children (slave?). Massacre ...
    As soon as the husband has not seen She approached us to ask for a few sips of beer, because the husband let her no drink.

The Camping is by the sea, adjacent to the beach:

I eat "Penne pesto" in the camping resaturant for 6,50Euro and go sleep.

Map reviev:

3. #3 Re: 9 Days Italian Trip with Keeway (QuanJiang) Cruisers 
    C-Moto Guru
    Day 1/2 photos:

Day 3 (Monday)

On this day we had planned accommodation in the vicinity of Lugo (ravenna) and we had to drive only 200km, it consisted good because we had time to "see" Venice.

From the owner of the camping I learned that from the end of the peninsula to Venice you can go with boat, They proposed that we should buy from him a bus + ship ticket for 18euro. However, we decided to go to the peninsule with ours motorbikes and there we will buy tickets.

In Punta Sabbioni (at the end of the peninsula) is a Auto Club Venice parking lot. The cost of leaving the motorcycle is 5 Euro, they informed us that there is also a free parking for motorcycles little bit further. The Auto Club Parking was not a strictly guarded, but we paid the 5 Euro, the workers have an eye on our bikes. At the free parking there no workers, and our motorcycles were fully packed.
    Now is the time to buy tickets to the ship, I walk up to the window, The Cashier do not speak German, than i speak in English. "I need two tickets to Venice ...".
    One-way ticket 6,5 Euro (in both directions 11 euros, but then you need to determine the time of your return) I took one-way tickets, we can go back with water bus, they run every hour.
    At this point comes
    Jack and asks:
    "Have You got tickets?"
    And the Lady Cashier speaks in Polish to us: "Yes, He had bought tickets, why do you speak to me english?." (Am I a seer to know that?).

In anticipation of the ship:

Here the view from the ship:

In Venice we stayed over an hour, enough to take some photos:

In any case, no one can tell me that I was not in Venice, although the hordes of people don't encouraged us to explore. City of love? In such a crowd? You rather have to watch that you're not plucked out of cash because in such a crowd is easy. Architecture is impressive, but I can not imagine standing in queues for museums or other attractions.
    It turned out that in Venice is difficult to buy postcards, They had them in one stall and we planned to buy them on the return from the city. But we were to late to do that, the Water Tram almost drifted away.
    But it turned out that in Punta Sabbioni they have Venice cards, 30% more expensive than in the Venice.

From Punta Sabbioni we guided towards Lugo driving "via Adriatica" and here we took our first steps in driving a motorcycle in Italian style.
    Why Italian motorcyclist enjoys a view of the continuous double line on asphalt?
    Because I is broader than the intermittent line and is easier to overtake cars...

The solid line, double continuous line, or other broad lines on the road are here to overtake (In Poland for such driving, Police can take your driving license).
    What is interesting cars "watch" motorcyclists and as soon as they see any in the mirror they attracts a maximum to the right. This allows you easily pass with 80km/h all cars. When you overtake a car and on left lane appears a Truck, the car drivers automatically make you place within them, so you can safely hide for a moment.
    In Italy reigns Aprillia, Piaggio, Burgman, Ducatii and BMW, and then the rest. And what noticeable that even with monster power, Italian motorcyclists ride just a little more than 100km / h, no thrills, no wheelie, stoppie. The power of motorcycle is needed to overtake.

In place of accommodation we arrive in the evening.

Pitched tents in Krystyna and Soliedo garden .
    Krystyna lives in Italy 12 years, she left Poland for work and stayed. Put together her life with an Italian man. Solideo also had motorcycles, always Kawasaki, as he saw that we have Chinese Keeway he told us that as he had in the late 60 early 70 a Kawasaki everyone said that Japanese motorcycles are crap. The best were the English machines. But he did not have any problems with the Kawasaki, it was cheaper than the English bikes.

Krystyna also rides a bike:

As soon as we arrived, Krystyna called the other Poles living near Piotr and Aneta: "They came already, come here we can talk Polish".

In Lugo was waiting for us real stodge, Solideo baked Piadina, dough cakes baked on iron plate on gas.

To this were white cheese, and other specialties. Lamb meat and Italian sausages with wine of their own production. After that we bacame fruits to eat.
    There conversations and laughing took place till in the night.
    Piotr said that the car drivers let motorcycles go, because they're all motorcyclists, after returning from work or shopping they wear leather dress and go "fly". It is widely known that motorcyclists are the best drivers.

At the end we got an Italian espresso, I had no problem with sleep after rinking coffe, but Jacek couldn't sleep whole night.

4. #4 Re: 9 Days Italian Trip with Keeway (QuanJiang) Cruisers 
    C-Moto Guru
    Day 4 (Tuesday)

This was probably the most difficult stage, we got up around 7.
    Soliedo went, as every day in the morning, the Trattoria, all Italians eat a bun in the morning and drink coffee at the local diner / cafe,
    there is always an opportunity to exchange a few words with neighbors and friends.,
    We ate breakfast and drank coffee with Ms. Krystyna.

We left Lugo about 8 am, according to the navigation, this day was to drive 366km, so it seemed easy.

First stop after 99km was planned in Loreto. There is a house in which lived Mary, mother of Jesus.
    The House was transported from Palestine during the Crusades by the D'Angelo family.
    If it is true or not, is impressive sanctuary.
    It is rather quiet and peaceful, and as in Italy, there is a parking for motorcycles and beautiful views:

Later it was getting worse, we rode the famous route "via adriatica" near the sea, but the whole 200km was (almost) jammed:

Here were useful skills that we have acquired in previous days, without "aggressive" driving and pushing up you can not go.
    I can not imagine going that way by car.

At once i noticed the blue of the sea, I was tired in traffic, so we turned to the sea. We found a pizzeria with a view to the sea:

With reasonable free wifi I called my family, Jacek waited patiently ...

At the next stop we encountered a litle Fiat, I liked it, but I do not know, which model it is:

In a shop we encountered Polish woman, but there was not much time to talk.
    The road had become tiresome. From time to time we have seen the Adriatic but tiredness was problematic.
    In the evening we arrived at Pescara, the accommodations were still in 50km distance.
    In addition, my sense of direction failed and we lost, We found a backyard with a motorcycle, so I decided to ask a "colleague",

From the building came out a very tattooed Man, He did not speak English nor German, but tried to explain as best he could.

He partially helped us, although I did not understand him in 100%, because 20km later we got lost.

This time, however, it was worth it to get lost because we got to the cheapest petrol station.
    Gasoline 1.589euro, which compared the rates of 1.68 to 1.77 seems to be attractive.
    This time we took again our navigation.

To Manopello we arrived after dark.
    I have lost somewhere card with the address campsite.
    Quick phone to my sister and the address came with sms.
    Navigation Battery was exhausted and led us to the village with the campsite.

However, the street where the kokopelli Camping is , was on the auto map not shown.

Fortunately Jacek stopped a passing car whose driver pointed out the direction and said, "avanti, avanti".

Next clue we received from the owner of the bar in Seramonacesca.
    At the campsite we were about 23, We pitched tents in the light of the motorcycle lamps.

We drank a bottle of wine and go sleep.

5. #5 Re: 9 Days Italian Trip with Keeway (QuanJiang) Cruisers 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Excellent RR. Nice photos, though some look like water colour paintings, especially the background in the photo where you cross the border into Italy, with the mountains in the background. Look like someone painted them with water colour paint. Hahaha.
    The band in the video sounded nice, but not many people to enjoy the music?
    Your impression about vehicle drivers reminds me of my impression I felt about the majority of vehicle drivers in Northern Thailand. Aware, considerate and willing to yield to a motorcycle (a majority of the time). Stark contrast to the majority of the vehicle drivers and even riders of all things two wheels in mainland Ch!na.
    Hopefully the sentiment concerning the early Japanese motorcycle quality improvements will be realised with the Ch!nese products too, over time. Time will tell...

Anyway, great RR.
    Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist
    - Pablo Picasso

6. #6 Re: 9 Days Italian Trip with Keeway (QuanJiang) Cruisers 
    C-Moto Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerdoc View Post
    The band in the video sounded nice, but not many people to enjoy the music?
    It was early, maybe 10 A.M. So there where not many people yet. This band was playing traditional Austria/German music.

Day 5 (Wednesday)

As you remember, the previous day we rode the shores of Adriatic Sea, and we got to the campground at night.

At times it seemed that the road goes steeply up, but what I saw the next day after leaving the tent, did not fit in my head.
    how I got in here.

Camping is located on the border of the Natural Park Majal.

It is really well equipped, there are pots, cups, plates, cutlery, barbecue. (All what you could need but you have no place to take with motorcycle)
    Bathrooms and toilets are very clean, the price was reasonable because only 10Euro / person (whether by car, bus, camper or camping) + 0.50 cent per shower.
    The views were breathtaking.

in such circumstances of nature, you can enjoy breakfast.

Camp owners also traveled through Europe with VW Camper T25, now they are owners of a campground and settled in Italy.
    Sleeping in the camper you can hire:-).

They are very friendly, the owner knew the brand Keeway and immediately told us that this model is an optical copy of the HD Fat Boy.

I highly recommend this place (they even can pick you up from the nearest airport):
    http://www.kokopellicamping.co.uk/got.html.

After packing we went to the Sanctuary of the Holy Face:
    http://manoppello.eu/eng/
    After leaving the church we went on the road, after an hour we did a breakfast break.

The road from Manopello to Rieti is a beautiful, very low traffic, beautiful views and curves:

[/img]

It is worth to note that the Italians do not take too much ecology and use their natural resources.
    In this case, they finally get rid of one of the mountains (quarry pictured).

The next stop we made on the picturesque Lago di Pedilucca:

Jacek was the captain of a ship for a while:

I wanted to buy ice cream ... It seems, however, that it was siesta time and everything was closed.

The views on the way to Assisi beautiful, the most beautiful were the picturesque town on the slopes of the mountains.

And finally, in the evening we got to Assisi, the town makes a big impression.
    A medieval village full of modern people. Simply Stunningly:

The impression was intensified view of the mountains:

Here I got the impression that here was filmed one of the last films of Agent 007.
    Some Russian mafia wanted to kill him in the street ??
    Or Was That another movie?

We were looking for a grocery store, but in the streets of Assisi were just commercial Souvenir shops.
    We finally found one grocery store... but unfortunately we will not drink wine today, because the store was closed, just in case, I pulled the handle.
    Nothing, still closed, but after a few seconds the owner of the store opened and allowed us to do some shopping.

Camping is located 500m from the center of Assisi, so the price is increased
    17.50 euros per person. But we got a discount and paid the 15Euro.
    The lady at the desk said that it's not fair when for two motorcycles you must pay more than for a Camper.

After checking in at the camp and set the tent I started to preparing the dinner.

Dinner was cooked by the light of the lantern and a headlamp.
    This day was very nice, a lot of impressions and beautiful views, and rather it was quietly without unnecessary race. For all we had time.
    Last edited by beniamin82; 10-28-2014 at 07:36 PM.

7. #7 Re: 9 Days Italian Trip with Keeway (QuanJiang) Cruisers 

8. #8 Re: 9 Days Italian Trip with Keeway (QuanJiang) Cruisers 
    C-Moto Guru
    Day 6 (Thursday)

This day we started calmly, to drive was only 230km with more than 100km via expressway.
    So we had time to explore Assisi.

These streets were breathtaking.

A motorcyclist garage here ...

However, climbing the steep streets was tiring

The Italian cigarettes and lack of daily exercises done their job...
    In addition, we walked the streets in full motorcycle gear and helmets under our arm.

Helpful was the fountain, i shed my head and neck with cold water (I hope no one spat there:-))

Inside of the Basilica of Saint Francis is forbidden to take pictures, so here only from the outside.

Views and atmosphere of Assisi is impossible to capture in photographs.

Well, these religious souvenir shops. Devotional shops remind me of things rather serving religious purposes, and here, you could buy a glass for vodka with St. Francis, an ashtray with St. Francis, mug for beer with St. Francis, St. Francis sling, sword, pistol.
    Next to that hung rosaries, earrings, dresses, aircraft, electronic pigeons.
    Pure commercialism.

After returning to motorcycles it was time to calm blues on my harp:

A moment of rest and get in the way. Looking at the map it turned out that we will drive through the Tuscan countryside.

We planned that we go down the highway to go bit of Tuscan roads.

In the end, we had time that day. We visited non-touristy small town, but the views were very historic.
    But you can see that the Italians live here. On the map I saw that in the area is also a lake.

The access to it, we asked encountered Italian. He explained the way in English and so we got on a gravel road but did not see the lake.
    Instead, we saw two beautiful house in the Tuscan style.

After the gravel roads of Tuscany, motorcycles looked like they participated Dakar Rally. After all it was worth.

Returning walked into urban mini-supermarket. However, the goods were completely different than in the stores that we have seen so far, it is no wonder we previously shopped in shops for tourists.
    And here we hit on local products.

We purchased the dried slices of prosciutto ham, Italian tomatoes, Tuscan bread and roll. I took a "stinking" sausage. At the entrance to the store were roofed tables, so I went back to the shop and asked if we could eat on them. There was no problem, so we started, I went to the motorcycle after salt, and Jacek began to look for the blade to cut off the bread. But here helped us salesman from the store which brought us knife for slicing bread. Moments later, a saleswoman came she brought us olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and also plates and cutlery.
    At the same time she said something in Italian style: pomodoro, olive e Aceto?
    How do you come up with such a terrible idea, and eat tomatoes without olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Ridiculous, is not it?
    In any case, Italian hospitality is worth praising.

15 km from the end of today's stage, our asses already very hurt, I went down the road to a parking lot, which as it turned out was next to a small market town. On the market took place a festival for children.
    And what the hell humor you must have:

At the same festival we met a Polish woman who takes care of old woman in Italy.
    That's where we get, because this woman needed to spill the beans and complain.
    Although older lady did not look malicious, but I know how it is.
    Older people are sometimes tiring.

In the evening we arrived at accommodation to Lugo, and this time Solideo did not disappoint us.
    It was real Italian stodge:

It was Piadina and ribs, roasted tomatoes, roasted peppers, Italian sausage, and lots of other delicacies.
    You know how stupid is doing pics of the table being a guest...?

And here is our "patron de la casa", that is, host of of the household, Solideo in person:

Conversations happen long, though delicious wine we drank less than the last time.
    But it was rather a common sense approach.

Additional photos from Jacek.
    https://plus.google.com/photos/10261...37158572455809

9. #9 Re: 9 Days Italian Trip with Keeway (QuanJiang) Cruisers 
    C-Moto Regular
    nice trip and good photos ...thanks.

C-Moto Guru
    Jmgoujun, you must not thank me.
    I glad to write if someone read it and have fun.

I also love read about trips, but only the ones they started normal people with not many money.

I belive that nobody needs a lot of money and a super motorbike to do trips.
    Last edited by beniamin82; 11-04-2014 at 06:52 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast