Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Where to buy bikes in China? 
    C-Moto Guru
    Hi all,
    not really sure which part of the forum to post this in so here goes.

A couple friends and I have been trying to find 250CC dual sport bikes here in China for the last 6 weeks without any success. We live and work (full residence permits) in Jiangsu province close to the Shanghai border (about an hour away from the Shanghai zoo by scooter). We've been to a few shops in Shanghai but the bikes were about a year old and at least 3,000 RMB more expensive than what we were expecting. All the shops we've seen in Jiangsu province are only selling 125CC street bikes (Yamaha, Honda, a few Quinqi and one 250 CC cruiser style). Where can we go that's not too far away to pick up a couple dual sport 250's? We'll also need plates as we live here in Jiangsu and plan to do some touring over the spring and summer. Can anyone help us out?

Here's what we're specifically looking for:

Quinqi 200GY, or

Lifan LF250GY-7, or

Shineray X200GY (series)

Any help much appreciated, just hoping we don't end up on Yamaha YBR125's but we're getting a little desperate.
    Last edited by Nuhaus; 03-25-2009 at 12:14 PM.

Asiawing have some left over bikes, which are 250cc! Or did have a month ago, Suzuki engines. 8000RMB, probably can registered in Jiangsu, with residency visas. This is one during assembly.............

If you have more money there is a version of the Asiawing LX/LD450 for 20,000 RMB, more with rego too, if you are feeling rich, this has 17" wheels, lights and is liquid cooled, aluminum frame too! Could be more difficult to register, although the company say they can register them in the city the factory is in (Taian, Shandong) Possibly 400KMS or more from you.

Contact Shenli on 13854836452, he speaks fairly good English.

C-Moto Guru
    Thanks very much dude! Will be calling him tomorrow. I have a few Chinese friends so will get them to talk to him. Will let you know how it works out.

Can you explain the way plate registration works in China? If I buy a bike in Shanghai province would it be possible for me to obtain plates in Jiangsu? Does a foreigner have to get the plates at the time/place he buys the bike or can he get them after?
    Last edited by Nuhaus; 03-25-2009 at 02:07 PM.

OK, chinabiker (Andy) can correct me on this (he's sort of the guru on Chinese law and mostly as it relates to Beijing).

I suspect as foreigners you should technically be able to register your bikes in Jiangsu, as this is where you are registered, you would need a letter from your employer confirming your status, and copies of your passport visa and photo pages, and the actual passport itself, to register the bikes in Jiangsu.

Each province is administered differently, I've heard from others conflicting stories about Jiangsu. One guy said it was almost impossible for a foreigner to register a bike in Jiangsu in their own name. So in this case I would bring your own documents to the factory, also an ID card of a Chinese person who you trust, preferably female, not a holder of a Chinese driving license (legal reasons).

1. Attempt to register the bikes in Jiangsu in your own name (could be tricky)
    2. Attempt to register the bikes in Jiangsu in someone Chinese's name, (again could prove tricky as the bikes were bought out of province, so receipt from Shandong could upset local PSB).
    3. Attempt to register the bikes in Shandong in your own name, (again tricky as you are not working in Shandong so Shandong PSB may refuse the request).
    4. Attempt to register the bikes in Shandong in the name of a Chinese person who you trust from Jiangsu (might not work as they are not from Shandong).
    5. Attempt to register the bikes in the name of someone female with no Chinese driving license from Taian city Shandong. (This one will probably work).

Red Tape = Lame (this OTT red tape surely creates people riding illegally? )

Some other points to note

- A bike registered in someone else's name can be legally ridden by you.
    - The bike is insured for all riders with compulsory insurance which comes with the registration, insurance is 3rd party only and does not cover injury to you fire or theft, no other insurance for motorcycles is available inside China.
    - A bill of sale or receipt makes it your bike and the name sometimes cannot be changed after the fact especially on bikes under 250cc in some provinces.
    - It is safer for the Chinese person whom the bike is legally registered to if they have no driving license, if any of you don't have Chinese Driving Licenses yourselves.

Disadvantages of not having Jiangsu registered bikes I am not completely sure of, I think Shandong plates in Jiangsu will cause more hassles than Jiangsu plates, one of which could be going back to Shandong each year to renew your insurance, other hassles I don't know for sure (does anyone know?) TIC

This is the best info I can give you.

C-Moto Guru
    Thank you for your very detailed response, those are the best answers I've had about licensing a motorcycle in China yet. Certainly a change from the response you get on Shanghaiexpat .

Talked to your friend, but Shandong is rather far for us. Our plan is to see about getting some bikes transported to Jiangsu from Shandong (my abilities aren't up to riding one all the way here - yet), or to look again at the bikes in Shanghai. They did have some Zhongshen and Loncin (sp?) bikes in the shop I saw that might fit the bill.

Any other suggestions from people for where to buy bikes around Jiangsu / Shanghai are much appreciated.

I would certainly try to contact Qingqi, and see if you can find a dealership near you to get a 200GY. Although a YBR125 is a well proven very reliable bike, but get the version with a front disk, not the drum, also there is a kind of dual sport version of it called the YBR125-G. Don't forget the YBR250!

http://www.yamaha-motor.com.cn/mc/index.html

hey don't know if i'm too late on this one, i just saw the thread!

I live near you in Suzhou and bought myself a Galaxy XTR 250. They're made in guangdong but there is a dealer (lovely people too) in jiangsu in yizheng, a small town near nanjing. i bought mine there and drove it back to suzhou easily. (G312 all the way home)

12000 RMB for a 2009 model (don't buy 08), it's a great dirt bike with good suspension and awesome brakes.

if you're still looking for a bike i'll send you the details of the dealer

ps: mine's registered in nanjing but not in my name, they wouldn't let me, even though i have a chinese driving liicense. it's in a chinese friend's name but haven't had any trouble with that.

C-Moto Senior
    Interesting. I went ahead and sold my Suzuki GZ150 to Nuhaus and bought myself a Rebel. At first I was set to get a dirt bike, but we are both relatively happy with our cruisers. When I think about it, around here, anyways, 95% of our riding is on ashphalt and the comfort and panniers of the cruisers are awfully nice (I can't believe I am saying this, being a cruiser hater since day 1). The cruisers are also very nice for taking girls for rides on, not that I know anything about that.

That said, both of us have been hankering for more power and the Galaxy is about 6 hp more than my bike. I wonder what the gearing is like.

We have already decided to put a Suzuki GN or GZ 250 engine in Nuhaus's bike. That should give him about 20 hp.

C-Moto Guru
    The 150 is doing pretty sweet right now. Modded the air box and put a better muffler on it for more power all around. Cruises the 318 nicely at 100K. I'm about to go on summer vacation so I'm not in the market for a dirtbike right now, but perhaps in the fall when I come back to work. Jim and I'd really appreciate details on the whereabouts of the dealer if you could provide us with a specific address. Our original plan was to spend the spring holiday on a long bike trip but we were unable to find any bikes whatsoever at the time. In the meanwhile we're both thinking about getting a couple of sportbikes for next year. Perhaps something like one of these :) :

No that ain't my paunch behind the bike.

To be honest I have some trouble understanding the appeal of dirtbikes, but I am new to riding so time will tell. So far we've been mostly cruising the local highways.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuhaus View Post
    To be honest I have some trouble understanding the appeal of dirtbikes...
    How about this?

Photo by ChinaV

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast