Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Shineray Explorer 200 trouble 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Hey guys, I am driving a Shineray Explorer 200 which I believe to be a knock off of the QingQi200GY or just another name for it here in Central America. I am having some problems with the motorcycle and it is about brand new! Maybe some guys can shed some light on this for me. Mind you I have less than 400 km on the machine. I am taking it in tomorrow but the guys here do not have formal schooling in regards to motorcycle maintenance and if I could point them in the right direction that would be great.

About 2 weeks ago it began to leak some oil. I took it in and got it fixed. It was simply a bad drain plug. About the same time it began to be difficult to start up in the morning. It is a four stroke single cylinder 200cc engine. I've done all the normal routine. I put the choke on, put it into neutral, start it, let the choke halfway out and once it warms up I turn the choke fully off. After starting it, the motorcycle warms up. However, my issue has been that the engine will start fine with the choke on, and then be very finicky with the gas as I let the choke halfway out, and begin to die. If I let the choke all the way open, it goes kaput pretty quick. Then it sucks to get started again.

Well, after awhile of this, the motorcycle has started to turn off while driving it, usually only when I have the clutch it. I have had no engine trouble in terms of hitting anything so I am wondering what the issue is. What will happen is I can be driving along with enough gas for another 50km at least, and next thing you know, usually when downhill and applying no gas with the clutch it, the engine will just go off. I will only notice because I need to accelerate and then I got nothing. I have to pull over and get it going again, which typically is very tricky after it turns off. A lot of choking it, waiting, then opening it up and hoping it doesn't die again. I rode it this morning and had the same issue, it turned off 6 times in 40 km! Now, here is the kicker (and the reason that I believe it to be a gas or oxygenation issue), when I take the cap off the tank and then go to start the motorcycle, it turns on almost immediately after turning off while I was driving it! Anybody have ideas?

2. #2 Re: Shineray Explorer 200 trouble 
    C-Moto Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by olesoncs View Post
    Hey guys, I am driving a Shineray Explorer 200 which I believe to be a knock off of the QingQi200GY or just another name for it here in Central America. I am having some problems with the motorcycle and it is about brand new! Maybe some guys can shed some light on this for me. Mind you I have less than 400 km on the machine. I am taking it in tomorrow but the guys here do not have formal schooling in regards to motorcycle maintenance and if I could point them in the right direction that would be great.

About 2 weeks ago it began to leak some oil. I took it in and got it fixed. It was simply a bad drain plug. About the same time it began to be difficult to start up in the morning. It is a four stroke single cylinder 200cc engine. I've done all the normal routine. I put the choke on, put it into neutral, start it, let the choke halfway out and once it warms up I turn the choke fully off. After starting it, the motorcycle warms up. However, my issue has been that the engine will start fine with the choke on, and then be very finicky with the gas as I let the choke halfway out, and begin to die. If I let the choke all the way open, it goes kaput pretty quick. Then it sucks to get started again.

Well, after awhile of this, the motorcycle has started to turn off while driving it, usually only when I have the clutch it. I have had no engine trouble in terms of hitting anything so I am wondering what the issue is. What will happen is I can be driving along with enough gas for another 50km at least, and next thing you know, usually when downhill and applying no gas with the clutch it, the engine will just go off. I will only notice because I need to accelerate and then I got nothing. I have to pull over and get it going again, which typically is very tricky after it turns off. A lot of choking it, waiting, then opening it up and hoping it doesn't die again. I rode it this morning and had the same issue, it turned off 6 times in 40 km! Now, here is the kicker (and the reason that I believe it to be a gas or oxygenation issue), when I take the cap off the tank and then go to start the motorcycle, it turns on almost immediately after turning off while I was driving it! Anybody have ideas?
    I'm no expert about these bikes and maybe my answer is completely wrong. Old bike that used to have was always having this problem when the breather hole was blocked. It had a little hole in the tank plug not even 0.5mm, maybe you bike has one and if it does check to see if it's blocked. Sorry if this answer isn't fully related but you could give it a go.

3. #3 Re: Shineray Explorer 200 trouble 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshmakesnoise View Post
    I'm no expert about these bikes and maybe my answer is completely wrong. Old bike that used to have was always having this problem when the breather hole was blocked. It had a little hole in the tank plug not even 0.5mm, maybe you bike has one and if it does check to see if it's blocked. Sorry if this answer isn't fully related but you could give it a go.
    I will check on it. If it is that simple I will be pretty happy!

4. #4 Re: Shineray Explorer 200 trouble 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Hey guys, I wanted to say thanks. I got the motorcycle back today, it runs and breathes like a charm now. The guy who fixed it (whoever it may be) agreed with you all. It was an airflow issue to the fuel tank or the delivery system. Somewhere the engine couldn't get the right mixture. It got fixed and I am happy again. Stay tuned to see if I have more issues.