Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: 450 Enduro

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 450 Enduro 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    The Chinese 450.

I thought I would knock up a little introduction to the reason I'm on this site...

image.jpg image.jpg

Here in the UK it’s called a WK 450rx, but the variations of the same bike have been available throughout the world for a few years now-
    Argentina (Heikon TT450 and Backfire BXF450),
    Australia (Odes MCF450E),
    Brazil (Tokens TXR450),
    Chile (Takasaki LX450),
    China (Asiawing LD450),
    Czech Republic (Václav Vizinger VV MX450),
    Finland (Menopeli LD450),
    France and other border countries (Upower PZF 450),
    Germany (Borossi BT 450 LX),
    Italy (GioItalia 450 Motard),
    Netherlands (Asiawing LX 450X),
    Russia (Forsage 450),
    South Africa (BigBoy SMR450),
    Spain (Impormotor IMR 450R),
    Sweden (Monstra 450),
    United States (Christini AWD 450, CCW Hooligun 450X)
    United Kingdom (WK 450rx, Christini 450)

I was looking to buy a used jap 450 and for the money I was looking to spend I was going to be looking at bikes at least 4-5 years old, for the same money I have this, brand new, from a local dealership and with something not even Honda would offer on a brand new 450x, a warranty!

First impressions,
    I was actually really impressed overall, I was expecting to see some tat and poor quality areas but to be fair those areas are really only items like reflector brackets and final fitting of the graphics, small things like that I can live with.
    The tires fitted to the off road wheels are awful looking cheap nasty dual sport “kings tires” these have been removed and replaced with some lovely Maxxis, these wheels also came with discs and a rear sprocket, but I have replaced and upsized the rear sprocket as standard both wheels use the same gearing.
    This upsize has also required a longer chain, swapping the chain on a week old bike might seem daft, but now I have a chain perfect for the road/super-moto set up and for a enduro wheels,
    The switchgear is not up to jap standards,

On the plus side the overall build quality looks really good, the welding on the frame looks as good as I’ve ever seen on a jap bike, the suspension is multi way adjustable,
    the engine looks great, no traces of sealant splaying out of joins, no leaks or nasty noises..
    I have however changed the oil as I’ve heard the OEM fluid isn’t great, and it holds less than a Lt so its cheap piece of mind.
    My first ride was when I collected it from the dealership, pouring rain, fading light, heavy traffic, couldn’t have been much worse.
    But the bike worked perfectly, never got hot and flustered in the traffic,
    The next day I had chance for a little bit of a better ride, and again I have to say it did well, while removing it from storage I noticed the twist grip assembly wasn’t as tight as it should have been, this was nipped up and I ran over the rest of the bike looking for things to tighten but didn’t find anything worth worrying about.
    The engine runs well, but was far from aggressive, much more like my old WR426 rather than the CRF450r I had,
    oh and the grips are the hardest plasticly rubber available, made from melted down cd cases and frying pan handles I think.
    These will be changed as soon as.

That afternoon I got on with the couple of mods I had in mind, first was too shorten the rear number plate mount, on mine this is an aluminum stay that required cutting down, I think this is plastic on the earlier bikes.
    My next, and much more important was to change the exhaust, I had been told this was very restrictive and true to what I had been told had a cat in the center section, I had bought a “Bill’s pipes” exhaust for a 2006 CRF450, with a bit of trimming of the front pipe this fitted a treat, not only has this lost a few kg off the bike and made it a little (lot) more vocal it feels a lot more willing to rev, so much more aggressive, I am still treating it softly as its about 60odd miles old, but feels better already.
    It’s mush closer to the feel of the CRF now, with a carb upgrade I suspect it would be pretty much there.

Brief conclusion
    It’s a lot better than you might expect, the important bits seem great, “consumable” bits like the grips, tires, graphics and final finish of the plastics show where the corners have been cut.
    It’s less half the price of a new Honda, but it offers so much more than half a Honda..

IMG_0224 (2).jpg IMG_0208.jpg
    Last edited by Brook877; 11-12-2014 at 05:22 PM.

2. #2 Re: 450 Enduro 
    Great looking bike! We look forward to the reports (at least I do). CCW claims on their site they had a hand in helping improve this bike--it has been around for several years. Someone has a thread on one of these (he lived and worked in China and bought it there).

3. #3 Re: 450 Enduro 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by culcune View Post
    Great looking bike! We look forward to the reports (at least I do). CCW claims on their site they had a hand in helping improve this bike--it has been around for several years. Someone has a thread on one of these (he lived and worked in China and bought it there).
    Cheers
    It is a bit of an unknown and I struggled to find many owners review until I worked out the various names it's sold under so I'll happily post as often as I can on how it's doing, hopefully help other people out in the future.
    I've seen CCW's site and what they've said about their input, not sure what input they've had but I have noted their bike has an 02 sensor in the front pipe and a different exhaust, better standard tyres by the looks of it as well,
    Oh and a graphics set that is 100% nicer than the UK importers design...

4. #4 Re: 450 Enduro 
    Here is the old thread from back in '09; it was last posted in relatively recently (August, 2014) http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...light=asiawing

5. #5 Re: 450 Enduro 
    Quote Originally Posted by Brook877 View Post
    Cheers
    It is a bit of an unknown and I struggled to find many owners review until I worked out the various names it's sold under so I'll happily post as often as I can on how it's doing, hopefully help other people out in the future.
    I've seen CCW's site and what they've said about their input, not sure what input they've had but I have noted their bike has an 02 sensor in the front pipe and a different exhaust, better standard tyres by the looks of it as well,
    Oh and a graphics set that is 100% nicer than the UK importers design...
    I will be interested to know how tall it is. I am 5' 7" but am not intimidated by tall bikes like many people are (I think many of those people are new to cycling). The sensor is most likely to help it pass EPA certification. I actually like your graphics much more than the Cleveland graphics.

6. #6 Re: 450 Enduro 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    That's one of the threads I found while making my mind up about buying this,
    I can see some detail changes, (airbox, exhaust, kickstarter, suspension etc) but yeah it's been knocking about in one form or another since 2009/2010

Mine (and the one in the link above actually) have the "anti smog" kit as fitted to CRF Xs in certain states, that and the cat fitted into the centre exhaust seems to be enough to get it through our emissions test.

As for ride hight, now it's on the 18"/21" wheel combo it is a tall bugger, I'll have a measure over the weekend and report back,

7. #7 Re: 450 Enduro 
    Hi and welcome
    Great to have 1 more British guy on here , I am from down south "Essex" now in Hainan China
    I have seen these bike at race meeting here in China and I have been very impressed with the build
    quality as well , most of the racing boys who entry these competition either have "Japs" or these ?
    The best pictures was the one with your dog in heheheh "British Bulldog"love these so much let him have a walk around the bike if he cocks his leg then the bike is no good
    good luck with the bike and keep up with the reviews
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

8. #8 Re: 450 Enduro 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Thank you,

I'm looking forward to visiting China myself, I head out next week and stay until the 21ish of December then back here for Christmas and as long as all the timings work out back to China in mid January for another couple of weeks.
    Luckily there is two of us coming so the weight of constantly getting lost and confused can be shared..

The dog is called Nigel, he'll be three in February.
    I'll add a couple of pics when I get chance

9. #9 Re: 450 Enduro 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by culcune View Post
    I will be interested to know how tall it is. I am 5' 7" but am not intimidated by tall bikes like many people are (I think many of those people are new to cycling).
    Seat hight is 38"
    (Unladen and I've raised it about an inch)

10. #10 Re: 450 Enduro 
    That does sound a little high, but you say you raised it an inch? So 37"?

A little bit of trivia after having read your list of what names the bikes are sold under in which country; about 10 years ago, Odes imported an Asiawing 250cc (probably a 229 or 223) enduro to the US, which was the first 'big' enduro we got here (we were just starting to get 200cc's after having a slew of 125cc and 150cc bikes).

Of course, this was before the US EPA (Environmental Protection Agency--the US government office that regulates emissions on both on-road and off-road vehicles) cracked down on all the imports since so many bikes were finding their way in to the US). I think only about a container made it in, because one guy chimed in on Chinariders.net (this site had not been created yet) that he had one, and that was it. He mentioned that it was an Asiawing bike.

I have to say that I am impressed they (Asiawing) have managed to stay in business for so long, which bodes well for you and your bike. CCW have gained a reputation in the US, primarily for their bobber, but more and more for their British-styled cafe racers (their 'Ace' and 'Misfit'), so with them on board for this bike bodes well for this bike in the US, too. I wonder if CCW's joint venture with Sinnis in the UK will have this bike show up under the Sinnis name, or if WK (and Christini, too) have 'exclusive' distributorship?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast