Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Fujian suggestions? 
    Hey all,

Looking to head into Fujian from Jiangxi this coming week for a 10 day-ish long ride, and was wondering if people had suggestions?
    So far we're thinking of going to Wuyishan, Jianyao, and to see some of the tulou down toward xiamen. reading through reports and wuyishan seems great, but didn't know if others had suggestions of good places or good routes?

2. #2 Re: Fujian suggestions? 
    I had some fun on this ride. Last time I went to Fujian was during a holiday and I used the expressway to get from Dongguan to Wuyishan 970 kilometers in 10 hours averaging 110 km/h ... good times.Download the kml here Wuyishan is very beautiful, but the traffic kind of sucks.

Cheers!

3. #3 Re: Fujian suggestions? 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Wuyishan is beautiful but the town itself is expensive. When I was there, all hotels with baoan or some sort of secure parking were RMB400 up.... I prefer inexpensive hotels over the expensive ones, when I finally found one with good parking for RMB200, it was disgusting but I was tired and it started to rain so I stayed.

Its a bit off your route but not far from Wuyishan is Sanqingshan and then Ancient Village Area of Wuyuan. These two places are spectacular, especially villages of Wuyuan (not Wuyuan itself)

remember to post RR ;)

4. #4 Re: Fujian suggestions? 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    I rode with a bunch of riding mates & others several years ago round a few provinces including Fujian & we stopped in Wuyishan for a couple of days. We stayed in a hotel on the outskirts of Wuyishan which was affordable & there were no issues with parking etc. However, I was riding with a group that included mainly PRC nationals - so not sure if that had any influence.

Wuyishan itself was worth the effort so definitely worth 'doing'. If you have the time, try riding to DongShan Dao further South. Dongshan Dao is an island connected to the mainland via a causeway, so no bridges or tolls to worry about. Dongshan Dao is a fairly under developed relaxed island area with white sandy beaches which are fairly empty too, though many apartment & condominium complexes are being built which might change that. One of the high end complexes is by a wealthy Zhejiang investor.

There are a couple of towns by the 'island' on the mainland side that offer affordable lodging options as well as lots of street side/outdoor eating late at night. Can't recall the names of the towns, as I had a riding mate living down that way until recently. We drove his Z3 down from Ningbo when he moved down that way last year (he's since moved back) - mainly because the factory they built down by a bigger town near DongShan Dao, was unable to get staff & poor logistics despite local government assurances that things would improve & the train tracks being right beside the factory - anyway I digress.

Have a safe and enjoyable trip... look forward to your RR.
    Last edited by bikerdoc; 11-25-2014 at 01:38 AM.
    Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist
    - Pablo Picasso

5. #5 Re: Fujian suggestions? 
    Awesome, thanks all. Internet has been spotty so the ride report will probably be after the ride, but we're in wuyishan now. came down through wuyuan and sanqing shan, which were awesome. the ride from Shangrao to wuyishan seemed like it'd be great but it was dark but the time we were going up to the mountains. pictures will be coming soon!