Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 New From Sunny South Africa 
    Just to introduce myself, I like riding off-road and own a Loncin LX250GY equipped for touring. In the past year I toured 11 000 km or approx 6 500 miles around Southern Africa. My dream ride is a road- bike trip to Kenya. I have a blog on my bike and experiences.
    Picture of my bike.
    Fiets 2.jpg

2. #2 Re: New From Sunny South Africa 
    Hi and welcome
    Interesting blog you have thanks for posting
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

Welcome and thanks for sharing your information
    SWM RS500R, R1200GS LC

4. #4 Re: New From Sunny South Africa 
    Welcome to here! I saw this wonderful thread on Horizonsunlimited.com and he is also dual posting it on advrider.com. Of interest for Chinese bikes' sake is pages 6 (about half way down) to page 7--his friend joined him on his around-Africa trip, from Europe, in S. Africa, bought a 229cc Bashan, and rode it approx. 6500 miles from S. Africa to Zanzibar where he sold the bike and flew back to Europe. The only issue with the Chinese bike was a constantly stretching and stretched out chain, and they could not find one (or did not know where to look--Chinese bikes are plentiful all over Africa, and many use 428 chains, so I think they just did not know where to look!

The entire thread is interesting (and is currently still ongoing), but since you want to do long rides, and you live on the continent, you might get some good ideas reading through it!

http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hub...urfboard-72401

5. #5 Re: New From Sunny South Africa 
    Quote Originally Posted by culcune View Post
    Welcome to here! I saw this wonderful thread on Horizonsunlimited.com and he is also dual posting it on advrider.com. Of interest for Chinese bikes' sake is pages 6 (about half way down) to page 7--his friend joined him on his around-Africa trip, from Europe, in S. Africa, bought a 229cc Bashan, and rode it approx. 6500 miles from S. Africa to Zanzibar where he sold the bike and flew back to Europe. The only issue with the Chinese bike was a constantly stretching and stretched out chain, and they could not find one (or did not know where to look--Chinese bikes are plentiful all over Africa, and many use 428 chains, so I think they just did not know where to look!

The entire thread is interesting (and is currently still ongoing), but since you want to do long rides, and you live on the continent, you might get some good ideas reading through it!

http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hub...urfboard-72401
    Thanks. I know about the African adventure rides and also that of Dr Greg Frazier. Any adventure biker should know that name! I have e-mail communication but may not publish them. My blog is still new and I'm building it up towards my road trip to Kenya. Thanks for sharing this as many other forum readers will also benefit.

6. #6 Re: New From Sunny South Africa 
    Greg Frazier is no fan of Chinese bikes, at least from what I remember reading from him about 10 years ago. This particular blog showed how durable these Chinese bikes can be! The guy did not even kit it out for touring...he just bungied his stuff and rode for 10000Km'!! I did write to Jonway in South Africa who imports the Bashan bikes, and linked them the thread--they were not aware of the trip, and appreciated seeing who well one of their bikes did. I do believe Bashan use Loncin engines, which would be of interest to you and your Loncin.

7. #7 Re: New From Sunny South Africa 
    Quote Originally Posted by culcune View Post
    Greg Frazier is no fan of Chinese bikes, at least from what I remember reading from him about 10 years ago. This particular blog showed how durable these Chinese bikes can be! The guy did not even kit it out for touring...he just bungied his stuff and rode for 10000Km'!! I did write to Jonway in South Africa who imports the Bashan bikes, and linked them the thread--they were not aware of the trip, and appreciated seeing who well one of their bikes did. I do believe Bashan use Loncin engines, which would be of interest to you and your Loncin.
    Very few serious adventure bikers would ride Chinese bikes. Me being in the lower income group can now enjoy a African motorcycle adventure as the Chinese bikes proved reliable enough and if you do service and maintenance yourself, the results is rewarding. I focus my communication with other bikers on the adventure rides rather than the type of bikes. I'm glad Bashan / Jonway showed some positive interest to the information. Thus far the Loncin did very well off-road but freeway riding or commuting a bit uncomfortable as the bike is slow.

8. #8 Re: New From Sunny South Africa 
    your bike looks very organised and sturdy

9. #9 Re: New From Sunny South Africa 
    Quote Originally Posted by zhu View Post
    your bike looks very organised and sturdy
    Thanks, very comfortable. I fitted a drop side delivery box for the next adventure. On the previous run my stuff was wet, muddy, dusty, dirty and all of that. The box can lock-up and I could tape the lid when riding extreme off road. I gave it a test run with all my stuff and it seems to be worth the effort. If uncomfortable I can revert back to the original or even consider some proper panniers. The aluminium cases are a bit expensive but a second hand set may work.