Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: India Trip

1. #1 India Trip 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hello All,

I recently joined the forum. I should be in possession soon of my own little 200cc bike. A friend of a friend is selling his, great deal, including A plates for inner ring. I will no doubt be asking for assistance later about license and changing the registration to my name.

However this is about India. I saw a poster had recently taken a trip to India and took a bike trip while there. I am planning to be in Tibet, then Nepal and finally India for my winter break. Doing a bike trip for the India portion sounds like a splendid idea. I have 20+ years riding experience. I lived in Taiwan for a year and had a little 150cc death mobile while there. Last winter I hopped down to Vietnam and picked up a 150cc Frankenstein bike and road from Hanoi to Saigon then into Cambodia. Thailand refused to allow me to bring her across the border so we parted ways.

Can anyone direct me to his trip posts? I though I had saved it but seems I had not and I cannot find it again.

Thanks!
    Donald

2. #2 Re: India Trip 
    According to some posters, they will tell you to immediately sell the bike because it will a) fall apart when you first turn it on b) if not 'a' it will fall apart riding around and/or c) it will melt after a few seasons!!!

Personally, I look forward to reading about your ride to India especially if it is made on your death, falling apart, melting Chinabike!!!!

3. #3 Re: India Trip 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hello Culcune,

Thanks for the reply. I am a fair mechanic and the bike seems solid. Even if not, he is selling the bike with legal registration and plates (at least seems to be, will have my Chinese GF come read it all next time) for Y18,000. The plate and registration permit alone are worth Y24,000 last I saw, and that was from a few year old thread. So well worth it. I can always buy a brand new bike for the plates if the bike is really a problem.

I am expecting not this summer (that will be a European bike trip with a European bought bike) but summer 2016, to ride all over China, maybe up to Mongolia and even over to Russia. So I might buy a more dual purpose bike in the future.

4. #4 Re: India Trip 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Ah the plot thickens...
    An 'A' plate for...? BJ, SH...

An old proverb by yours truly...
    Everything in (from) Ch!na is just for looking, beAware the smoke and mirrors, for nothing is as it seems. In other words scratch deep beneath the veneer..!

The simple/easy things here are difficult/complicated, while the difficult/complicated things are simple/easy...

TIC - LFZ!

Buyer BeAware, Donald... and here the locals will tell you all kinds of things, even to the point where they may seek to reassure you that you're a foreigner and it won't be a problem... which might be true but just as likely to be bull faeces!
    Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist
    - Pablo Picasso