Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. #11 Re: California Scooter Company RX-3 Cyclone Test and Info 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    I have an open mind with the RX3, but I'd need consistent reports of it being good, and not for a few rides but actually a bunch of guys riding it up to 10,000 kms or more. My Chinabike is is far from terrible, but it will take a heck of a lot to get the quality of parts and avialability, assembly and 2nd hand resale at anything like Japanese levels. My normal suggestion to people who ask is 'buy a 2nd hand Honda instead' and honestly I feel I'm giving the right advice.
    ^ Ditto... and I write this from the perspective of having owned and ridden my fair share of PRC motos over my 13 years here, and like ZMC888 dealing with moto shops, dealers and manufacturers with all the BS and just plain fabrication and straight out lying/lies that go with it.
    Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist
    - Pablo Picasso

2. #12 Re: California Scooter Company RX-3 Cyclone Test and Info 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    True, but some opinions are formed from bigotry, where people just don't like the whole idea of Chinese motorcycles and say 'no' regardless. However my eyes are open and I've formed this opinion from personal experience. I think there is a difference, a similar conclusion has been reached from different avenues. There are also some western commenters that say something like 'in the 1960s and early 1970s Japanese bikes were looked down on and called 'Jap-crap' by many people, there was little innovation and they were essentially copying Italian, British and American designs, now Chinese manufacturers are going through the same stage - so cut them a break'.

But really Japan isn't China and 99% of each population will testify to that with every ounce of their being. Sadly design and innovation outside of electronic engineering, modern architecture and fashion in China is pretty seldom, due to the education system, in most part IMHO. I can see nothing much more than a slow catch-up then China being a big manufacture hub for big western brands like Thailand or India. The government is hoping for 'a Honda of China', surely meaning a world leading R&D marque for motorcycle automotive design and excellence, honestly, I just can't see it, although I'd be happy to be proven wrong.
    ^Touché.
    I think several key words and concepts that separate Japan from PRC, are motivations like honour, integrity and honesty... most of which are sorely lacking in PRC IMO.
    Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist
    - Pablo Picasso

3. #13 Re: California Scooter Company RX-3 Cyclone Test and Info 
    Hi CC
    Great site and happy to be a member , both Bikerdoc & ZMC888 IMO consided to be very aware of
    what is happening in China with Moto and between them have had there fair share off chinese bikes in the pass
    but I read the Doc has a new BMW and 888 if his situation allowed him and I hope it does change soon
    would most likely not buy a chinese made bike again? . This is a clear message IMO to all if these guy don't have
    faith in Chinese made Moto so why should others.
    From my point of view sadly only 4 years in China with only 3 Chinese bikes , but have clocked up over
    50,000 km between them with some long rides , for me it's time to move up all my existing bikes
    will go and my next bike will be a Japanese made imported bike from Thailand , for me Chinese bike are just
    too problematic for my taste .
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

4. #14 Re: California Scooter Company RX-3 Cyclone Test and Info 
    C-Moto Noob
    My Real issue, Carl, is CSC not realizing that they have what they have, a REAL challenge to Jap bikes. The Japs been screwed by NHTSA, EPA, etc, etc on recalls EPS BS, constantly and for MILLIONS. You think, when this bike takes off, and clueless (I'll bet) CSC gets slammed with a NHTSA recall, some emission issue, and needs a 5 mil bond for each bike sold, and has to ship bikes to the repair station (owners CANNOT REPAIR, as not "certified" by Gov't.) SOme Japanese motorcycle rep/lobbyiest doesn't RAISE HOLY HELL, and call in the dogs! Really?
    CSC needs to monitor every issue and ONLY that for the first couple yrs, minimum, then MAYBE, look at expanding sources of funding.

5. #15 Re: California Scooter Company RX-3 Cyclone Test and Info 
    C-Moto Noob
    I don't really see this as a ZongShen story, but really more about CSC. My last post touches on this indirectly, but fundamentally the real winning or losing here goes on at the importer. ZongShen will sell many times more of this model to other countries. Plus, if it's successful in NA (almost entirely due to CSC's work), they will likely just use that fact to promote sales in other countries who have absolutely massive demands for a relatively big 250.

Exactly correct Carl! However, its the political capital the Japanese manufacturers flexed, (and I'd bet some "hints" Mr. Zongshen got from certain US agencies), as to why he hauled ass!
    SO CSC, lets all hope you are looking out. (and over your shoulder/back). You have my $ now. Lets also hope you are long term focused, on importing and supp, oops SUPPORTING a motorcycle YOU are saying you stand behind, and are offering a pretty fantastic warranty on, IMHO. Can you , no, HOW can you warranty our motorcycles, if NHTSA or EPA gets Jap pressure to shut you down? If you bankrupt, or say screw this (as I would) what can we do after we have bikes uncompliant, and no importer, much less dealer!
    In support of CSC, It would look REALLY BAD if NHTSA, and EPA decided to run CSC out of business. Easy, but really shitty. Here's hoping government, for ONCE does the right thing! (not SOShit)!

6. #16 Re: California Scooter Company RX-3 Cyclone Test and Info 
    Hey Thill, I'm betting CSC is pretty aware of this. Regarding Japanese companies putting up brick walls, it is possible but I wouldn't imagine it happening until sales started to bit into a line they already offer. There are no current Japanese models that are comparable to this so probably won't be a big issue. Also worth noting is some of the Japanese bikes are made by Chinese manufacturers so it may not be in their interest to start pissing matches on the other side of the Pacific.

Like you said, the real trick is promoting and supporting this model for several years until the next gen, or totally new model, comes out. Either way, I think we all hope CSC the best of luck!

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

7. #17 Re: California Scooter Company RX-3 Cyclone Test and Info 
    C-Moto Noob
    Absolutely agree, Carl. As someone who has the tendacy to bite off more than I can chew/handle from time to time, I thusly speak from experiences:) hehe.

Hopefully, they will handle those MOST important issues first, and stay on them u til sales are stabilized, parts are stocked in sufficient quantities that allow us to maintain and service our bikes.

I think that there is a pretty amqazing amount of support for CSC currently, and a minimal amount of naysaying even, as the initial persons issues were broken down and shown meritless (as much as could be withut us actually having our bikes and doing actuual miles and trips to report back on. Actually servicing the bikes, maintaining them remotely from CSC, without dealers. It could be perfect, and great. It could be a NIGHTMARE, also, if they are unprepared for a huge sales demand, before safeguards are pt in place, and before support services are set up and in place.

I'm keeping fingers crossed and hoping my bike is all I am dreaming about, and will allow me to do what I want to with it (and my sons) where we can ride some adventures together:)! Hopefully, set up some annual events/rides/get togethers, and meet some fellow RX-3 rider/owners at some great places to ride. (Like Tail of the Dragon/Blue Ridge Pkway on East Coast, and some similar in the West Coast as well.

Hopefully, everyone will keep some small amount of "the voice of reason" to keep things in perspective;)! The bikes make CSC some $ and the line expands to add a 450/500 cc model and maybe the 125 as well, for beginner riders and smaller riders.

8. #18 Re: California Scooter Company RX-3 Cyclone Test and Info 
    C-Moto Noob
    Also, Carl,
    I just thought someone should put the POSSIBLE issues out there to be aware of, pondered on a little, maybe, but IF something starts, we can all be aware, and write letters to Congress, or whatever CSC and their Lawyers want us owners to do to help. Key would be a hard hit really quickly back at whomever agency starts with the initial hit, hopefully with enough people, and the correct wording etc in the replies and support of CSC and the bikes, that the agency decides that maybe pickings are easier elsewhere;)!! hehe.

If CSC has done what they promised, and are trying to support us and the bikes (as I fully expect them to CONTINUE doing:),
    then it would not be imprudent to ask and expect even owners of RX-3's and other CSC bikes, to take some time and write/email, call, (whatever they need us to do to help), IMHO, so we can continue to enjoy CSC importing and sales and servic, parts uport, etc, as usuall...

Really, I think their AMAZING amount of honesty, FULL and truthfull , openness with the entire process from EPA certification, through Dock workers strike and delay of shipping our bikes, the Zong factory visit, adding upgrades as available (without a price increase!! even on the smoking original deal for us early adopter/buyers. Especially rectifying the worrisome 15" tire issue! (though stator upgrade will be handy also, in WInter especially:)!
    This helps us feel better about any reservations we initially may have had, IMHO. Its very important to build that trust with initial buyers, as there will, most likely, be some initial issues with the bikes and additional distribution hassles and probles in addition to dock workers striking. The openness and honesty will alsobreed patience with all this, I think.

This I KNOW, though. I have NEVER seen a post re ANY productbeing shipped from ANYWHERE:) before this purchase, and new websittes springing up to support it, etc. To me, this PROVES that Zongshen (and cSC) are seeing EXACTLY what the market wants to buy, but heretofore could not, as it wasn't available, at ANY price from a manufacturer. We could buy something to mod (like CRF 250L or Yamaha WR 250, add 4000.00 worth of tank, panniers and mounts, engine protection,and all the handguards, tank bag etc. SOe we will also need to add to our RX-3 as well, but waaay less, I'm budgeting 1000, for mine, and already have GPS mount, bids on heated clothing and associated riding gear.

9. #19 Re: California Scooter Company RX-3 Cyclone Test and Info 
    C-Moto Noob
    Great write up on the RX-3! Thats the best "advertising" since money can't buy good ride reports/press, since its not purchased, so should be non biased. Since CSC isn't made of $ (like other manufacturers and importers) they aren't gonna get butt kissing articles so the spend huge $ on advertising for their product "line". Makes me feel that the article is a TRUE representation of the riders experiences riding the bike:). Additionally, the other articles the other internet magazines are very close to the same plusses as your article, again, good reinforcement of its accuracy in the ride reports:).

Honestly, I feel pretty dang good that the ownership experience and riding experience is as described in the article, and will be exactly what I wanted in my next bike, and need to do proper adv rides in the future:).

10. #20 Re: California Scooter Company RX-3 Cyclone Test and Info 
    The engine will be the gem of this bike, considering it is used in a few other bikes. That is the big thing, considering some of the early adopters of the CFMoto 650's according to their posts seemed to have problems in that area. Any engine or engine part or the rest of the RX3 can be sourced directly from China via TaoBao, but I am assuming CSC will have parts as well. My 'lowly' TMEC 200 is well supported by its distributor, so I would think that CSC would do the same

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast