With all the various brand tags out there, the search for a china atv is challenging to say the least.

I am an older (52) guy looking for an inexpensive 4 wheeler to cruise woods trails and just generally putt around.
I am steering more toward a utility ATV with racks and a headlight to carry gear for day adventures. I am not planning big air antics or climbing giant grades...just mostly flat root/rock strewn wooded logging trail work and perhaps some winter sno mo trails. Not looking to travel light speed either. This brings me to the thought that with my above average mechanical aptitude and mediocre needs, a 4-$7000 ATV is not warranted. Also, and quite frankly, I am not dealing with a lot of cash here so at $800-$1200 a China ATV seems like a cool bet.

I am quite certain y'all get plenty of the "which China bike is best" questions, and this one may not be any different.
I know what to expect having owned 2 China scooters. I know these Chinese rigs need a LOT of TLC and a fair amount of blue loctite to keep them in service. I see so many negative reviews on these China machines, primarily I suppose from those that are expecting their $900 machine to perform like their cousin's $5k Banshee.. Again, I know (pretty much) what waters I am wading into. So, on with the query..

Is there any particular engine manufacturer that stands out as perhaps better than the rest? I know these Chinese engines are mostly Honda clones, but is there a certain brand that is more durable than the other? Living in the US, it seems that not everything as far as brand tags are concerned is 100% accessible. What have you seasoned China machine owners found that works best for you? Or is it really all a cookie cutter crap shoot?

Thanks in advance.