Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Chinese ATVs.. Confusing 
    C-Moto Noob
    With all the various brand tags out there, the search for a china atv is challenging to say the least.

I am an older (52) guy looking for an inexpensive 4 wheeler to cruise woods trails and just generally putt around.
    I am steering more toward a utility ATV with racks and a headlight to carry gear for day adventures. I am not planning big air antics or climbing giant grades...just mostly flat root/rock strewn wooded logging trail work and perhaps some winter sno mo trails. Not looking to travel light speed either. This brings me to the thought that with my above average mechanical aptitude and mediocre needs, a 4-$7000 ATV is not warranted. Also, and quite frankly, I am not dealing with a lot of cash here so at $800-$1200 a China ATV seems like a cool bet.

I am quite certain y'all get plenty of the "which China bike is best" questions, and this one may not be any different.
    I know what to expect having owned 2 China scooters. I know these Chinese rigs need a LOT of TLC and a fair amount of blue loctite to keep them in service. I see so many negative reviews on these China machines, primarily I suppose from those that are expecting their $900 machine to perform like their cousin's $5k Banshee.. Again, I know (pretty much) what waters I am wading into. So, on with the query..

Is there any particular engine manufacturer that stands out as perhaps better than the rest? I know these Chinese engines are mostly Honda clones, but is there a certain brand that is more durable than the other? Living in the US, it seems that not everything as far as brand tags are concerned is 100% accessible. What have you seasoned China machine owners found that works best for you? Or is it really all a cookie cutter crap shoot?

Thanks in advance.

2. #2 Re: Chinese ATVs.. Confusing 
    Quote Originally Posted by fattybikejones View Post
    With all the various brand tags out there, the search for a china atv is challenging to say the least.

I am an older (52) guy looking for an inexpensive 4 wheeler to cruise woods trails and just generally putt around.
    I am steering more toward a utility ATV with racks and a headlight to carry gear for day adventures. I am not planning big air antics or climbing giant grades...just mostly flat root/rock strewn wooded logging trail work and perhaps some winter sno mo trails. Not looking to travel light speed either. This brings me to the thought that with my above average mechanical aptitude and mediocre needs, a 4-$7000 ATV is not warranted. Also, and quite frankly, I am not dealing with a lot of cash here so at $800-$1200 a China ATV seems like a cool bet.

I am quite certain y'all get plenty of the "which China bike is best" questions, and this one may not be any different.
    I know what to expect having owned 2 China scooters. I know these Chinese rigs need a LOT of TLC and a fair amount of blue loctite to keep them in service. I see so many negative reviews on these China machines, primarily I suppose from those that are expecting their $900 machine to perform like their cousin's $5k Banshee.. Again, I know (pretty much) what waters I am wading into. So, on with the query..

Is there any particular engine manufacturer that stands out as perhaps better than the rest? I know these Chinese engines are mostly Honda clones, but is there a certain brand that is more durable than the other? Living in the US, it seems that not everything as far as brand tags are concerned is 100% accessible. What have you seasoned China machine owners found that works best for you? Or is it really all a cookie cutter crap shoot?

Thanks in advance.

Check out these guys not the best but worth a look I have had over 30 of there units so far
    at work in North Thailand , for me cost was a very big factor in purchasing this brand

Odes ATV/UTV link .....http://www.liangzipower.com/Aboutus.asp

Now the best ATV/UTV in China IMO is CFMoto.
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

3. #3 Re: Chinese ATVs.. Confusing 
    C-Moto Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by prince666 View Post
    Check out these guys not the best but worth a look I have had over 30 of there units so far
    at work in North Thailand , for me cost was a very big factor in purchasing this brand

Odes ATV/UTV link .....http://www.liangzipower.com/Aboutus.asp

Now the best ATV/UTV in China IMO is CFMoto.
    Thanks. The CFmoto's look pretty beasty! Looking for something a little more mild mannered. The liangzi look about my speed. The more I sift through the piles of reviews online, the more it is occurring to me that they are pretty much all the same.

4. #4 Re: Chinese ATVs.. Confusing 
    C-Moto Noob
    Okay.. I guess my suspicions were on point. Pretty much all the same as far as most of these China bikes are concerned..

I opted for a Tao Tao T125F1. Full size, 3 speed semi auto with a reverse. $1000 shipped. Should suit me just fine.

5. #5 Re: Chinese ATVs.. Confusing 
    Quote Originally Posted by fattybikejones View Post
    Okay.. I guess my suspicions were on point. Pretty much all the same as far as most of these China bikes are concerned..

I opted for a Tao Tao T125F1. Full size, 3 speed semi auto with a reverse. $1000 shipped. Should suit me just fine.
    Yes it is a sad fact of life with Chinese manufacturer, is that you pay your money and you take the chance
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

6. #6 Re: Chinese ATVs.. Confusing 
    C-Moto Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by prince666 View Post
    Yes it is a sad fact of life with Chinese manufacturer, is that you pay your money and you take the chance
    Yessir. I may have a slight edge on some that purchase these crated China machines in that a lot of the folks that buy them don't know what they're in for-ill equipped to perform the necessary set up, maintenance or subsequent repairs; hence the bad reviews. I consider it a challenge and I love to tinker, so this should be right up my alley!

Thanks for your input BTW.

7. #7 Re: Chinese ATVs.. Confusing 
    C-Moto Noob
    taotao125f1.jpg

Here's what I'm getting shipped in a month or so.. pretty excited.

Not that it hasn't been done before, but I will be putting up an assembly; crate to startup video in case anyone cares.

Cheers!

8. #8 Re: Chinese ATVs.. Confusing 
    C-Moto Noob
    It is a LARGE kids model, but if you are going easy you should be OK. You may want to change the speockets and upgrade the clutch based on your weight. Whygostock has both.