Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Hainan Island to Guangxi / Vietnam's Detian Waterfalls Fall Ride 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    [COLOR="#FFFFFF"]After getting all settled on Hai Nan for some winter biking - we decided to take an autumn tour along the China / Vietnam border. So late last month we loaded the 250CC Mega Scooters for this special ride . It was dry warm { mid 20s } weather with a great visibility. We had a fast smooth ride to the Haikou Xiu Ying Ferry Port.
    Then met the Beihai Ferry for the Beihai Fery Port { Guangxi Province }. Got there early for tickets at 200 RMB per person { with us having a sleeping berth } , as this is a 12 hour big ferry boat excursion. Motor bikes were 100 RMB. Arrived Beihai 7 AM and headed northwest with a westerly turn about noon.

Roads were mostly in good condition with on / off construction along some special 'shortcuts we tried. Ride up to the falls area was very rural with fair road conditions and lots of ' rock formations. Plus the Vietnam / China granite border markers along side us 'overlooking a beautiful river .The overnite at the falls was very nice in a new private villa .
    Got up at daybreak for an 8 minute walk to ticket booth { 80 RMB entry } and walked thru some magical fog down to the roaring of waters. Continued walking 20 mins to a rustic Vietnam village atop the falls .Fog was burning off fast and then ' bright blue skies and stoic 'karsts all around us !...plus crystal clear blue waters .

Pictures attached , plus we have many more.

These waterfalls are as nice as the USA / Canada 'Niagra & Horseshoe Falls . They could well be sisters .The motor biking back thru the countryside was simply "breath taking with mostly good roads til we got near some towns & cities - there we had to slow way down for rough asphalt and pot holes .
    Its going to be a return tour , as we whizzed by roadside monkeys , caves , 'karst boating and lots of lush sugar cane & banana plantations.

B NOW - back to Hainan Island for the best winter motor biking in China . Lets us know 'when you are coming down .... Cheers Mega[/COLOR]
    Attached Images

2. #2 Re: Hainan Island to Guangxi / Vietnam's Detian Waterfalls Fall Ride 
    You sound more like a tour company then a RR, done the same trip back in July this year but can confirm the Detian waterfalls is worth a look but it is a good 3 days ride along the Vietnam /china border and from my ride the first part of the border road heading west out of Dongxing on the 325 was some of the worst road I have been on in China with pot holes 300 mm deep which goes on for over 60 km and I find it doubtful IMO that a scooter would be the best type of bike to ride the border road with Vietham . Most of the time the water at the falls is not blue as you say but more a dirty brown , this is just my opinion first hand and I would love to hear more about what you think about riding around Hainan !

image.jpg

image.jpg
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

3. #3 Re: Hainan Island to Guangxi / Vietnam's Detian Waterfalls Fall Ride 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    The falls are recommended for autumn & winter viewing , as locals say the river gets a lot more water during spring . The waters were a spectacular emerald color , along with the mist & sun - gave us the above pics . They were building a floating 'platform close to the falls - so hope it will not stay there .

My bike has 14" wheels and as long as I was not in a hurry { we were not } , along with dropping the tire's pressure a little - the rough roads were not a problem for the sights you got .

We looped back to Nanning and had stretches of Poplar trees lining some very good roads , as well as some 'crawl along roads under construction . We had no problems staying ahead of cars or trucks .

Hainan Island is a bikers dream for bikes or motor bikes . This is our 3rd winter on the east coast of the island , as it is a great 'base to bike SW China .

PLUS ...its an outdoorsman paradise with everything from surf fishing to mountain hiking ,along with quiet lonesome beaches you can bike on .... Cheers Mega

4. #4 Re: Hainan Island to Guangxi / Vietnam's Detian Waterfalls Fall Ride 
    Yes I love Hainan as well have a home in Wuzhisham Hainan which is nicely placed town to explore the mountain roads and area but Yunnan comes high of my list as 1 of the best provinces in China to ride in .
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

5. #5 Re: Hainan Island to Guangxi / Vietnam's Detian Waterfalls Fall Ride 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Wow Prince - you are close - less than two hours from us .
    Today's weather is overcast , but a 'real nice 22 C 'over here on the coast .

There are quite a few of us meeting after Christmas to do some Hainan cruising . When will you be to Wuzhishan ?

I travel a lot - just get me a text 138.1663.6060 with updates . Cheers

6. #6 Re: Hainan Island to Guangxi / Vietnam's Detian Waterfalls Fall Ride 
    Sorry to say this time of the year I always do a long trip down to North Thailand and not due back until
    end of March next year, I am sure we will meet up on Hainan one day soon .

7. #7 Re: Hainan Island to Guangxi / Vietnam's Detian Waterfalls Fall Ride 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Enjoy that 'Thailand ! ...& "SAFE travels !
    " many of us will stay on Hainan Island 'til the mainland air is breathable ......should be about April for Shanghai .
    For our Beijing { and surrounding area } bikers - lets pray for those 'favorable Beijing winds !..wonder where that 'bad air goes ????..
    Last ..[I]Happy Holidays !!....Time for some coconut 'punch ...

8. #8 Re: Hainan Island to Guangxi / Vietnam's Detian Waterfalls Fall Ride 
    Very nice photos Mega. Looks like a beautiful area.

Have you got a map you could post to give a better idea of where you rode?

Cheers,

Dan K.
    Dan Kearney - Black Hawk, Colorado, USA
    Zongshen RX-3 - Zongshen TT250 - Ural GearUp Hack - Honda CT110
    Ural M70 Retro Solo - BMW R100R - Royal Enfield Bullet 500
    http://dansmotorcycleblog.blogspot.com/

9. #9 Re: Hainan Island to Guangxi / Vietnam's Detian Waterfalls Fall Ride 
    Never given oral sex to my sister.. Never though about it.. But then.. Never felt inclined to drink non-alcoholic beer.. I mean.. what's the point?
    \
    Quote Originally Posted by prince666 View Post
    You sound more like a tour company then a RR, done the same trip back in July this year but can confirm the Detian waterfalls is worth a look but it is a good 3 days ride along the Vietnam /china border and from my ride the first part of the border road heading west out of Dongxing on the 325 was some of the worst road I have been on in China with pot holes 300 mm deep which goes on for over 60 km and I find it doubtful IMO that a scooter would be the best type of bike to ride the border road with Vietham . Most of the time the water at the falls is not blue as you say but more a dirty brown , this is just my opinion first hand and I would love to hear more about what you think about riding around Hainan !

image.jpg

image.jpg

10. #10 Re: Hainan Island to Guangxi / Vietnam's Detian Waterfalls Fall Ride 
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonsims View Post
    Never given oral sex to my sister.. Never though about it.. But then.. Never felt inclined to drink non-alcoholic beer.. I mean.. what's the point?
    \
    You need to ask the Doctor in your area