Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Provinces: Shandong 
    Shandong-Provincial-Map.jpg

If you look at the map, you can see the terrain. The most obvious section is the 'highlands' in the center of Shandong. Sure, they are not towering massive mountains, but there are many, many possibly hundreds of 500-800 (1,500 to 2,000 feet) meter peaks, and a few higher, most notably Taishan, just north of Taian city at 1500 meters. The province is densely populated and there are many many mountain roads, with some lovely exciting roads especially south of Jinan and north of Taian on the northern slopes of Taishan. Some other notable roads are around Boshan, Yantai, Weihai, Laoshan near Qingdao (but very busy at holidays and not very extensive).

Also if you look at the map you'll see the flatter areas, many of these are best avoided as they are boring to ride and potentially industrialized. A notable exception is the roads along the banks of the Yellow River going past the north side of Jinan and carrying on up to near the estuary around Dongying.

2. #2 Re: Provinces: Shandong 
    C-Moto Noob
    I lived in Qingdao and spent many days riding all around Laoshan. I ran into Chinese recreational riders while fueling up near Laoshan. There is also a good size group of younger expat riders in Qingdao.

3. #3 Re: Provinces: Shandong 
    How motorcycle-friendly is Qingdao? I thought I heard that they had banned motorcycles in that city? I haven't been there for a couple years, though. My wife and I are thinking about moving to Shandong province to be closer to her parents... Qingdao is certainly a top contender for me...

4. #4 Re: Provinces: Shandong 
    C-Moto Noob
    I don't know if I personally would live anywhere else in Shandong, being a comfortable American guy : ).

I heard they were banned. I never had any problems. There were at least a dozen of us expats riding in my circle of friends, and only God knows how many Chinese. I bought my bike from an expat who was upgrading to a 250cc. Also, there is a Harley dealership there. I saw a guy riding a Sportster around regularly.

5. #5 Re: Provinces: Shandong 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    There are some roads in Qingdao banned. But the police donīt care for motorcycles at all. Many of the bikes you can see on the roads are not plated – but who cares? My scooter is the first choice to get around in the city (even I have a car too). BTW I spotted a new KTM dealership these days in Qingdao.

6. #6 Re: Provinces: Shandong 
    Hey guys if any of you are in Qingdao and have a motorcycle I'd be happy to add you to our Qingdao Riders motorcycle group on WeChat.
    My WeChat ID: reynow
    We usually get together and ride somewhere every Monday (most of us are weekend work warriors) sometimes around Laoshan or maybe to Huangdao district or anywhere really. Any bike, any rider, all welcome. Only two requirements: you're in Qingdao and you have a motorcycle.