Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Taiwan motorcycle purchase brought into China 
    what would happen if i bought a moto in Taiwan and drove to china, using the ferry of course? when i went to laos , the customs guy told me to bring in foreign moto the duty at the border is 200 percent. i confirmed my understanding with my girlfriend and she said yes.

i also understand in Taiwan there is a loop hole, something about a moto registered to a foreigner can only be re-registered/sold to another foreigner.... thereby making it cheaper maybe???

anyone have any ideas...also if its plated in taiwan..then i can also be allowed to drive in china for a limited time and must exit after that period of time...like tour groups etc... im not sure so im asking
    thanks

2. #2 Re: Taiwan motorcycle purchase brought into China 
    Need to pay 20.000 rmb deposit to the Chinese custom when the bike come in to china ,
    The money will be repaid when you leave on or before your declared exit date !
    If you don't leave then you lose the 20k and then you will just be riding a illegal bike
    and your passport will have a black mark posted on it !
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

3. #3 Re: Taiwan motorcycle purchase brought into China 
    Quote Originally Posted by prince666 View Post
    Need to pay 20.000 rmb deposit to the Chinese custom when the bike come in to china ,
    The money will be repaid when you leave on or before your declared exit date !
    If you don't leave then you lose the 20k and then you will just be riding a illegal bike
    and your passport will have a black mark posted on it !
    thanks for the important info...dont like the answer though..he he

4. #4 Re: Taiwan motorcycle purchase brought into China 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    But according to Chinese Taiwan is China so why the duty?

5. #5 Re: Taiwan motorcycle purchase brought into China 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kikikillercat View Post
    what would happen if i bought a moto in Taiwan and drove to china, using the ferry of course? when i went to laos , the customs guy told me to bring in foreign moto the duty at the border is 200 percent. i confirmed my understanding with my girlfriend and she said yes.
    Assume you mean that you were at Laos/PRC border, and it was a PRC Customs official who provided the information? Also arriving at a PRC land border and expecting to just import the MC into PRC paying the 200% taxes/duties - sorry doesn't quite work like that. One has to get approval via BJ first, which means using an import/export agent that has the correct business license to import vehicles. No different if one wants to import a MC from abroad and ship the MC in vai a sea port. PRC Customs approval has to be obtained BEFORE one has the MC shipped in (that means before the MC departs port of origin).

i also understand in Taiwan there is a loop hole, something about a moto registered to a foreigner can only be re-registered/sold to another foreigner.... thereby making it cheaper maybe???
    Someone been telling you porkies.

anyone have any ideas...also if its plated in taiwan..then i can also be allowed to drive in china for a limited time and must exit after that period of time...like tour groups etc... im not sure so im asking
    thanks
    Possible. You'd need to organise this through an approved tour guide. Yes, even you have Visa to be in PRC, and a PRC DL. The MC is not from PRC so therefore it has to be bought in one of three ways. Through an agent, temporarily, and then out it goes. Or, you smuggle it in, and it just becomes another illegal MC, or you go through the official process to import the MC - which is not easy. Bike has to be brand new, with zero mileage on it, you have to be working for the correct business unit that has the correct credentials and you must use an approved agent to handle the importation.

As Prince666 advises too just bring in a MC temporarily requires a bond of 20K this is dealt with by an approved MC tour company/guide. This usually means that there has to be trip itinerary that must also be approved (this is where the tour company/guide comes in). Once the MC leaves PRC via designated border on the specified date, and everything is in order, the 20K gets refunded, albeit after the fact. Meaning the refund doesn't happen the day the MC leaves Ch!nese soil.

If the bike fails to leave on the designated date then the bond is forfeited, the MC becomes an illegal MC, same status as any of the other smuggled in MC. I'd suspect that not only would the passport of the MC rider be flagged which might have other implications e.g. when trying to depart PRC, but the tour guide/group might also get into trouble.

Ch!na is a closed shop. Bikes can flow out of PRC to ASEAN countries and beyond more freely, but not the other way round.
    Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist
    - Pablo Picasso

6. #6 Re: Taiwan motorcycle purchase brought into China 
    Sorry forgot to mention that valid point that the Doc made is your deposit will only be refunded to a appoved bank account and can take upto 14 days to be paid backed , just for infore for a car it is 50K !!!
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

7. #7 Re: Taiwan motorcycle purchase brought into China 
    Quote Originally Posted by modron View Post
    But according to Chinese Taiwan is China so why the duty?
    That depends what side of the fence you are sitting on ?

8. #8 Re: Taiwan motorcycle purchase brought into China 
    This is China, a country of 1.4 billion all trying to make money. Any loophole will have already been found and exploited before you have even heard about it. Therefore it will be common knowledge or no longer exist.

9. #9 Re: Taiwan motorcycle purchase brought into China 
    thanks all for the good info...im frustrated...i love driving in china as you can pretty much go anywhere and no one tells you no' or 'what are you doing on my property', of course except for the expressway.. but i hate so few choices in 2015 now.
    i hope to do a lot driving in 2015 but on what? thanks again

10. #10 Re: Taiwan motorcycle purchase brought into China 
    Just buy a YBR125, CBF150, YBR250 or GW250 and work from there.

If more choices come onto the market and for less money then you're covered as you'd have a good quality reliable and fuel efficient machine that will be easy to sell and retain its value.

If it was me I'd hope for the CB500X to be imported in 2015, failing that a CB500F.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast