Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Beijing: Riding a jing-B (京B) plated bike inside the 4th ring question 
    What will happen?

I searched already and didn't come up with an answer. What can the police do if I'm caught riding within the 4th ring road? Take my bike from me? Give me a fine? Give me a warning? And what will likely happen? Give me a warning? Ignore me?

I teach at a school once per week that's just inside the 4th ring. I'm trying to figure out if I'm risking a 200 kuai fine or risking losing my bike if I just ride straight to the school. Alternatively, I could probably find a tingche just outside the 4th ring near my school and walk or take a bus from there...

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts...

2. #2 Re: Beijing: Riding a jing-B (京B) plated bike inside the 4th ring question 
    Beijing Police in their weixin message have said they will start checking bikes again , am not sure how this would play with a Jing B.
    LMMC/LAMF

3. #3 Re: Beijing: Riding a jing-B (京B) plated bike inside the 4th ring question 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by galenernest View Post
    What can the police do if I'm caught riding within the 4th ring road? Take my bike from me? Give me a fine? Give me a warning? And what will likely happen? Give me a warning? Ignore me?
    The WORST that could happen is they give you a maximum fine of 200 rmb, and a 3 point penalty on your driving license. It is the points that really hurt, because they can add up quickly.How likely? Well, there are apparently some traffic cameras (I have no idea where they all are) that will tag motorcycles, but these supposedly focus more on riding in prohibited areas (e.g., on the Ring Roads, in the Emergency Lanes on the expressways, etc).

If you are stopped by a policeman, I have heard the most common fine is 100 rmb, but no points. The police can exercise discretion, of course, so someone with "attitude" will likely get a 200 rmb fine, and 3 points.It is impossible to predict. As one example, I know someone who rode their B-plated scooter every day to/from work (inside the 4th ring road) for a couple of years, without any incident. Then within a period of a couple weeks, she had 9 points on her license and was a few hundred rmb poorer.

Be aware of the crackdown periods, as that seems to be the riskiest times.

4. #4 Re: Beijing: Riding a jing-B (京B) plated bike inside the 4th ring question 
    Awesome, thanks for the clear information once again, Lao Jia Hou...

I owe you at least a beer or two :)

5. #5 Re: Beijing: Riding a jing-B (京B) plated bike inside the 4th ring question 
    C-Moto Noob
    Don't worry, Man! I ride a 10-year old 150cc dirt bike. I have no driver's license and no license for the bike.
    I rode it into the 3rd ring many times and never got caught. Even if the police want to stop you, don't stop, just ride through, they will not force you to stop.