Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Tricycling to Europe? 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hi all,

My name is Jieming (Jay), and my friend Nate and I were planning to take two Yamaha 125s to Europe in the Spring, and perhaps to South Africa if we still have money, but then it occurred to us that maybe we should go for a tricycle trip instead. I doubt it would make it all the way to South Africa, but we should be ok going into Europe.

Can anyone help shed some light on European vehicle import regulations? I have an electric one right now, but we would have to find a gasoline-powered tricycle because my electric one won't have the umph to climb mountains, but we also don't want to get stopped at the Greek border

20141215_082241_resized.jpg

Thanks, J

2. #2 Re: Tricycling to Europe? 
    You may be legal if under a certain cc or kw of power and make the journey less trouble with paperwork, however getting through Russia before your visa expires could be difficult.

3. #3 Re: Tricycling to Europe? 
    C-Moto Noob
    thanks for the quick reply! if we come out from xinjiang to Kazakhstan, and then head south, then west through Turkey we can skip Russia. bringing the tricycle into Europe is the part that worries me the most

4. #4 Re: Tricycling to Europe? 
    C-Moto Noob
    Don't think a Gas powered trike would be allowed into Europe without some sort of registration documents.

5. #5 Re: Tricycling to Europe? 
    In Europe even 50cc internal combustion needs registration, in fact much less power than that. To be legal in all the territories you'd intend to pass through a safe legal limit is 200W. (about the same power as a cyclist).

There are internal combustion motors that small, but I think you'd be best off using an illegally large electric motor and lying about the power output, and hope you aren't challenged.

C-Moto Guru
    ZMC888 in my opinion they must not import those motorbikes to Europe. If this is no bike but motorcycle or a trike with gasoline the listed rules are important

1. They must have a chinesee plate.
    2. The driver need to have a international driver license. Many European countries register tricycle as a mitorbike other as car. I think the driver must have both license to be sure that there will be no problem.
    3. The vehicle need to have insurance with "green card"
    4. The driver and the passenger need turist Visa.

Thats all. I will do more research. If i will find any writen laws i inform you.

And of course i invite you to see Poland. We have here a chineese motorcycle club, and the members will help if someone will be in need.
    Or they will show interesting places.

Jeming at 5th June 1987 Poland has made an agreement with People Republic of China. Point 27 says that chineese documents are walid in Poland :-).
    Last edited by beniamin82; 12-26-2014 at 05:02 PM.

C-Moto Guru
    I spoken with my uncle, he was a policeman. He said i am right. This vehicle must have additionaly marking with the international shortcut for China. Such eliptical sign or These marking must be on the plate.

8. #8 Re: Tricycling to Europe? 
    After you upgrade the seat , then go and buy a 1000w gas powered generator . Put the genny on the back with a few litres of gas and you can charge the battery as you go along

9. #9 Re: Tricycling to Europe? 
    Beni if you run maybe a 1kw electric motor but 'claim' its a 200w you'd be 'technically' legal and wouldn't need registration. 1000w gs powered generator hehe Zhu ;-)

C-Moto Guru
    ZMC i mean you can drive trough Europe if you have a propeprly registered vehicle in your country. In this Situation in China.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast