Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Attn Beijingers: ride early January (3rd or 4th) 
    I'm going riding somewhere outside of Beijing next weekend to celebrate the new year with my new bike. Anyone care to join? I don't have a plan, just wanna go explore, maybe do a little trail riding or fire roads, or just tarmac. Could be a "trip" of sorts, ie ride to a different city, stay the night, back in Beijing the next day. Or just a day trip. I have the days off, and my wife and wee little one are gonna be visiting family in Shandong, so I'm free!

I would love to ride with someone either with local experience that can show me some good roads/trails or another newb like me to explore with!

About me: over 20 years experience riding motorcycles of all kinds in the States, zero experience riding in China. So, I'm a newbie again!

2. #2 Re: Attn Beijingers: ride early January (3rd or 4th) 
    Bump... guess there aren't a lot of year-round riders in Beijing? Anyway, I'm riding on Sunday, January 4. I plan to head north out of Beijing towards some windy road off S213 that looks to follow a river, and from there I don't know. The pace will be mild (breaking in a new bike and knocking the dust off my motorcycle muscles) with plenty of stops for pictures, water, relaxing, sight seeing, etc. Periodic views of the Great Wall expected, and hopefully some interesting villages and a farmhouse lunch somewhere. Expected total distance 200-300 kilometers.

I might even be enticed to meet up for beers after the ride (and bikes are put away)!

Personally, I don't think the weather could be better... forecast is for plenty of sun and a high of 9 degrees. That's coconuts!

3. #3 Re: Attn Beijingers: ride early January (3rd or 4th) 
    Okay, well I did get out for a scoot yesterday morning, but I had to be back in Beijing by 12:30, so I didn't go far. I followed the QingHe river (which kinda follows the 5th ring) out to the Botanical Garden/Fragrant Hills area. The little road that goes along the river is a quite nice alternative to the main, boring long, huge, wide straight roads inside of Beijing. I got a bit lost looking for the roads up above the Botanical Garden, but when I have more time I'll get back there and explore some more. There are a few roads that look simply fantastic from the maps!

I brought along my GoPRo (Chinese knockoff actually) but failed to take a single picture or video! I don't know, I just wasn't in the mood to pull the camera out and fiddle with it. I was having too much fun just enjoying the scenery and the motorcycle. Next time I'll take pictures!

It was pretty cold. My gloves suck, so my hands got pretty cold, but my roadcrafter suit worked great to keep me warm otherwise.

Cheers, riders! I'll probably go riding again in a week or two. PM me if you want to come too!