Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Recommendations for touring bike (YS250 vs GW250 vs JH600 vs X5) 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    As I finally got my legal motorcycle license, I'm now looking for a bike that can take me places. I've owned a CQR and a cheap Regal Raptor, but they weren't made for local roads, so I sold them (read: the parts that didn't break).

I've browsed through this forum and I think that the new YS250 2013 (previously sold as the YBR250) with some modifications might be a good one for touring through China and further, but the GW250 (S) gets more love from the folk around here and looks like a fine traveller too. Also, a JH600 or Shineray X5 might do the trick, but I've heard they need more maintenance and I lack some skills in that field.

A lot of major mountain roads here in Sichuan are not that nice for 2-wheelers and some roads are completely gone. There's plenty of great, new pavement around here too, but most of the touring will be on roads that don't offer the same smoothness as some of the roads people around Beijing/Shanghai ride on. So, which of these motorcycles (especially the YS250 or GW250) can you recommend, and why?

EDIT: I know there are some other threads around here that ask for recommendations, but I can't find real comparisons between the bikes I named in this posts. In addition, some of those threads are incredibly out-dated

2. #2 Re: Recommendations for touring bike (YS250 vs GW250 vs JH600 vs X5) 
    If you want to save some money, check out this bike http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...150-in-Beijing The guy who started mychinamoto, 'Crazy Carl' (he also lived in Chengdu working at the university there) started out on one of these 150cc Jialings and even filmed a documentary of his riding one all over China. The YBR 125 or 250 fitted with modifications (i.e. dual sport tires) seems to have a good reputation here on mychinamoto, but it takes modifications (meaning more $$). Don't rule out the Zongshen RX-3, but that, like the Jialing, would take some skills in maintenance which really is not as hard as it sounds. I guess, since you live in China and the repairs are reasonably priced as well as parts all over, you could use bike shops more frequently to maintain your bike, if you chose one of the Chinese offerings over a joint venture bike like the Yamaha or Suzuki.

3. #3 Re: Recommendations for touring bike (YS250 vs GW250 vs JH600 vs X5) 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Thanks for the answer. I'm looking for something a bit more powerful than a 150cc Jialing. The RX-3 was on my list before and I had the chance to ride it, but it looked too appealing for a 20,000RMB bike. The report on http://kelleyssilkroad.blogspot.jp/ also put me off. There were just too many issues for a comfortable ride.
    Reliability is really important for me now. My CQR required too much maintenance and I spend every trip repairing the SOB. In the end my entire luggage rack came of and the chainguard snapped in the middle of nowhere on the Tibetan Plateau. With freezing temperatures and no passerby's to bring me back to civilization this wasn't a pleasant experience.

4. #4 Re: Recommendations for touring bike (YS250 vs GW250 vs JH600 vs X5) 
    Reliability, it's got to be the YS250 or GW250. I keep buying China bikes, my current CFMOTO650NK has survived well for a Chinabike, but it still has lots of silly issues, like they saved 500 yuan by cheaping out on things they shouldn't have. I also had a Regal Raptor 250 before that, honestly when the engine got hot it lost a third of its power, crap reverse engineered thing. I did 20,000mkms on my old Sundiro Honda CBF150, just one fork seal in all that time. Total reliability. China keeps tricking you, there just aren't many bikes that have big engines or can tour here well that are made established brands for a reasonable price, like we are being manipulated. That some 250cc-600cc single road/trail tourers that everyone wants to buy isn't made here by any Japanese JV, is it so the Chinese get their slice of the market? I'm tired of playing this game, I recommend that others stop it too.

Dependent on how much rough road touring you're going to do depends on which one of the bikes I'd choose. The Suzuki being a water-cooled twin seemed fairly low-slung when I rode on it and there is a fair bit of weight for a 250. Also that 'design element' front fender will absolutely clog up with mud on the wrong day. Although I prefer the Suzuki as it's more powerful great city and well surfaced road machine, the YS seemed a more straight up air cooled single not trying too hard to be anything more than a nuts and bolts air-cooled single when you tour in China you know that a third of the roads will be being rebuilt with no diversions every summer so in the real world the YS is a better choice.

5. #5 Re: Recommendations for touring bike (YS250 vs GW250 vs JH600 vs X5) 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Thanks for the advice. I hear you on Chinese bikes. I burned through 2 bikes in the course of a year and I could have bought one nice bike for the same price. The constant problems are the reason I'm thinking of moving to a Japanese bike (or Traitor Bike as some locals call 'em ).

I've found a workshop in the city that installs aluminium side panniers on a YS and GW, but I don't know what they did with the exhaust on the YS. Is this modification safe or will I experience trouble during rides?

TB2Ku6JaFXXXXbyXpXXXXXXXXXX_!!2199628210.jpg

this is the bike without the mod:
    fazer-ys-250-ano-2013-cor-vermelha-muito-linda_MLB-O-4253649396_052013.jpg

6. #6 Re: Recommendations for touring bike (YS250 vs GW250 vs JH600 vs X5) 
    That exhaust mod could be done well. However the locals like to earn as much as possible doing as little as possible, so you'd need to make sure it was done right and be a fascist micro-manager. Make sure the welds are very good and you find someone with real skills like a boilermaker, not just some bodger who could only manage to weld a gate with welds that look like old chewing-gum. (Most bike mechanics in China can weld, but they normally are not good enough at it for what you need. A car exhaust fitter might have enough skills for an OK job, but not ideal) also the hangers nuts and bolts all need at to be thread-locked with at least Loctite 243 or more and need to be made out of good quality steel.

7. #7 Re: Recommendations for touring bike (YS250 vs GW250 vs JH600 vs X5) 

8. #8 Re: Recommendations for touring bike (YS250 vs GW250 vs JH600 vs X5) 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    I have YBR250 and never complained about, well maybe apart from it being a 250cc. Great bike, very reliable, very comfortable. If you are not planning on riding two up than I would suggest different panniers. I bought some fake fake pelican boxes on taobao and put them on. The whole thing cost me much below a 1000 and its very durable. I heard those aluminium boxes wont be waterproof after you drop a bike.

The exhaust mod on the pic you posted is necessary cos it goes up quite high but I just mounted my boxes like this. The only problem is that its uncomfortable for your pillion. My GF is only like 158cm and weights 45kg but even she can only stand it for an hour at most

But if I have to be truly honest Id not put any boxes now if I was going around China again. YBRs back suspension is not great and fully loaded it bottoms out a lot. Id take soft bags.

9. #9 Re: Recommendations for touring bike (YS250 vs GW250 vs JH600 vs X5) 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by modron View Post
    But if I have to be truly honest Id not put any boxes now if I was going around China again. YBRs back suspension is not great and fully loaded it bottoms out a lot. Id take soft bags.
    I haven't thought about this, so I'm gonna follow up on this advice. The modification for the aluminium cases seems a bit too difficult and I'm sure I'll experience some problems later on (it's a very basic shop). I'm a bit worried about the heat coming of the exhaust though, as saddlebags are right on top of it. Won't they rip after a long trip? Any knowledge on GDW bags?

Also, the stock tires don't seem suitable for bad roads, does anyone have any recommendations on a good set of tires for the YS? Something more "dual-sporty" maybe?

10. #10 Re: Recommendations for touring bike (YS250 vs GW250 vs JH600 vs X5) 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    the exhaust does not get that hot so dont worry. I have a set of bags and its all good even tho they hang about 1,5-2cm from the exhaust.

As for the tires the only dual sport option I could find are these CSTs. They are decent. Back tire lasted around 15000km for me ;) to compare with 6000km for the Michelin super sporty, but Michelins grip on tarmac is way better

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast