Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Cross-Country Recommendations / Thoughts? 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hi all.
    Very happy to have found the forum. Friend and I have been riding around various bits of the planet for a few years now - France - Kazakstan via the Parmir, Mexico, South America, Iran / Iraq, Australia, India, Burma, Russia - and enduro riding in Mauratania, Tunisia, Morocco and Senegal.

We've been working towards the 'final frontier' - China - for a while now. Last year, we headed to China, did our exams, and are proud owners of a PRC DL.

We're at the point of purchasing bikes and finally dipping our toes into China. Initial thoughts are to start from Xi'an, and head west, ultimately weaving through Lhasa to Kashgar.

The big question: the bikes.
    I've heard horror stories about local bikes, but lurking here seems to indicate that with some intelligent choices and a bit of prep, it's not all doom and gloom.

We're not afraid of dirt - we'd actually prefer it - nor the occasional thing breaking or exploding - as long as it can be fixed in a day or so.

My eye was initially caught by the:
    Jialing 250cc Motocross ( http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=...cket=17#detail ) - around CNY 5k

Then on the other end of the scale:
    The Zongshen RX3 looks quite interesting too (BMW F650 lookalike..?)

But it's a world of bikes I'm unfamiliar with. What lies between the 5k price mark and the 20k price mark? Pain, sorrow and suffering?
    I'd be really interested in member's thoughts, advice and experience - seems a lot of guys have ridden similar paths, and would know what to expect.

Finally, a few images from recent trips to add some colour to the post :)

Iraqui police loved the big BMW :D

Thanks in advance!

2. #2 Re: Cross-Country Recommendations / Thoughts? 
    NOT real Jialing. Quality varies by assembler , if u MUST buy these. Pls went to CQ & order the best …

3. #3 Re: Cross-Country Recommendations / Thoughts? 
    C-Moto Noob
    Thank you for the reply..
    What would you recommend for this type of trip?

4. #4 Re: Cross-Country Recommendations / Thoughts? 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Hello kwx,

Some great moments you showed us, thanks.
    Your trip sounds amazing, how much time are you planning to spend? I dont know if you know but you need special permits for Tibet and they are pricey buy well worth it.

As for your question, well that little bike you posted will probably not make it out of Shanxi but it might take you all the way back to France....never know. I wouldnt risk the stress ;)
    The RX3 is a good bike and would do ok for the entire trip i think but its nor really an offroad bike. Look up some reviews here and you will get some more info.
    On the cheaper side there is Jialing jh150gy-3 like here. A lot people rode them around China and they made it so it would seem that they are good, but its only 150cc.
    There is Shineray X2 here is good. It has both good and bad reviews but mostly good and Id say its the best Chinese enduro bike. You could probably get bigger tank and softer sit for it n taobao.
    The 3rd one is Shineray X5 here bigger, more comfy with big tank and high clearance, pretty decent for this kind of trip but more expensive.

There is also a fleet of cheap and reliable hondas, suzukis and yamahas but you cant find a real offroad bike among them

hope this helps

5. #5 Re: Cross-Country Recommendations / Thoughts? 
    The REAL workhorse is "五羊款" 150. http://www.motorfans.com.cn/bbs/view...originator=yes
    EVERY bike mechanic in mainland China stock their parts.

6. #6 Re: Cross-Country Recommendations / Thoughts? 
    C-Moto Noob
    Thanks guys - you're definitely helping form a picture of what to expect, and how to do it.
    We'd be looking to have a local friend purchase the bikes, which would allow us to leave the country without issue, and come back a few months later, to continue the trip. China is huge, and I'd like to be able to visit as much as humanly possible :)

A few questions come from reading the vey helpful replies here:
    1. There seems to be a bit of pro-china-bike or anti-china-bike. Those against seem to recommended the YBR250 or GW250 - presumably on the basis of their manufacturing quality / reliability. As you say though, less clearance, and they'd need a few mods to handle the backroads. What are getting parts like for these?
    Those for chinese-bikes seem to revere the JH600 as the cream of the crop, or the RX3 for 'big style' bikes, and as you say, the 150cc mini beasts.

2. You'd mentioned T.bet permits - how pricey is pricey ? It seems for what you'd see, and how you'd see it, a price to pay willingly.

Thanks again for the help, now it seems a case of preference :)

I had noticed on the forum, there seems

7. #7 Re: Cross-Country Recommendations / Thoughts? 
    If you are planning a trip cross country then contact the manufactures and seek a sponsor….The object would be to get from location to location and in that service center to service center. In the hinter land some of the aforementioned bikes will be tantamount to foreign objects, they will not have parts for them.
    http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...ght=roadrunner
    Guess you could say choose your tool and keep your passion in your pants.

8. #8 Re: Cross-Country Recommendations / Thoughts? 
    here is the real Jialing cabbage bike...
    http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=...id=38996865443

9. #9 Re: Cross-Country Recommendations / Thoughts? 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    I can recommend the Shinerary X5 400cc there is thread about it here with first hand experience. Recently a few guys rode them from Beijing to Europe.
    Problems wheel bearings and broken casting part at the centre shock.
    I have been riding the bike now for 5k without major problems.
    http://www.mychinamoto.com/forums/sh...Yuan-X5-review