Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. #11 Re: Help on which moto to buy! 
    Start with the spark plug. It is arguably the easiest thing to check. They often get fouled. You can clean it off, but I have always simply paid the few bucks, gapped it, and thrown a new one on the bike. Next up would be the CDI, which on my enduro is under the seat. It is a module that can be changed easily, too (like how easy the spark plug is). Once you determine that it is not either of those two, then it could be a carb issue. My suggestion is to take it to the dealer and use your warranty. Make sure you ask about the spark plug (if it is fouled, it will be very black) and the CDI so they at least think you know what you are talking about in order that they don't try to take advantage of you. You can't really check the CDI yourself unless you buy a spare one (they are not expensive) to see if that is the issue (or if a friend has a similar bike to exchange the CDI for a while), so that one is harder to diagnose without a spare one nearby, but the spark plug is very straight forward provided you have the spark plug tool. Just be careful taking the plug lead off so you don't pull the wire apart.

2. #12 Re: Help on which moto to buy! 
    Quote Originally Posted by olesoncs View Post

Here is a picture of after its first kilometer
    I never saw the photo back in January--good looking ride! Just remember, since you saved so much over the Yamaha, if it costs a few bucks to repair, you are still ahead! That is the beauty of Chinese bikes. Cheap and 'disposable' or giveaway as one member mentioned how he and his son are going to Zambia in Africa for a several days riding through the country, and then he is donating those bikes to an aid organization (that is the real reason for the purchase, but he will get some riding in!)

3. #13 Re: Help on which moto to buy! 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by culcune View Post
    I never saw the photo back in January--good looking ride! Just remember, since you saved so much over the Yamaha, if it costs a few bucks to repair, you are still ahead! That is the beauty of Chinese bikes. Cheap and 'disposable' or giveaway as one member mentioned how he and his son are going to Zambia in Africa for a several days riding through the country, and then he is donating those bikes to an aid organization (that is the real reason for the purchase, but he will get some riding in!)
    Yeah, I posted the same question in January in a different forum. People said the Yamaha. Then I posted this same issue and got ripped by a guy who pointed out the Yamaha is different. True. It is. However, so far I have needed two repairs. It is completely covered by my guarantee, so I haven't paid a cent, or even less, a lempira cent (the smallest amount of our currency here). I will most likely leave your suggestions to the mechanic, but I will make the suggestions where to check first. I wish I had a set of basic tools here. I can always borrow the missionaries tools but it would complicate some things.

Also, I think it is a pretty good looking ride. The only thing I wish was different is color, I'm more of a black or silver guy, but red wasn't a bad choice either as red and white were my college colors. Hopefully we can just get this bike reliable on the road before the next two weeks are up so that I can drive to El Salvador for spring break.

4. #14 Re: Help on which moto to buy! 
    Sorry about your lack of tools! A basic socket set (with spark plug removal tool) should be fairly low cost. Any word from the mechanics?

5. #15 Re: Help on which moto to buy! 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Sorry about your lack of tools! A basic socket set (with spark plug removal tool) should be fairly low cost. Any word from the mechanics?
    The mechanic I took it to is now no longer authorized for the work since the motorcycle is like new. The vendor is taking it to a bigger city nearby on Friday to a manufacturer mechanic. I get to ride it in the meantime. It should be only gone on Friday.

6. #16 Re: Help on which moto to buy! 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Hey guys, I wanted to say thanks. I got the motorcycle back today, it runs and breathes like a charm now. The guy who fixed it (whoever it may be) agreed with you all. It was an airflow issue to the fuel tank or the delivery system. Somewhere the engine couldn't get the right mixture. It got fixed and I am happy again. Stay tuned to see if I have more issues.

7. #17 Re: Help on which moto to buy! 
    Good to read that! When are you taking your trip?

8. #18 Re: Help on which moto to buy! 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    The hope is in a week to drive in the morning to El Salvador. Be there by lunch, find a small hotel to stay at. Drive back home the next day. It shows as a 3 hour drive but here I am expecting 5 with the roads and the police stops.

9. #19 Re: Help on which moto to buy! 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    The hope is in a week to drive in the morning to El Salvador. Be there by lunch, find a small hotel to stay at. Drive back home the next day. It shows as a 3 hour drive but here I am expecting 5 with the roads and the police stops.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12