Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Yamaha XTZ125, good news 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Today I walked passed my local Yamaha dealer and I saw a little off-road bike there. Got curious so went in and it turns out that Yamaha is selling now a new enduro model. Its called XTZ125 and its pretty cool for RMB11000. If its an old news please forgive me but I didnt see this bike before.

Its an air cooled 125cc engine with a kick/electric start. 10L tank (400km???) and 26cm ground clearance. It comes with dirt tires and there are some decent Kenda or CST tires on taobao in RMB500-700 range.
    Its a shame that it has a drum at the back and that it isnt a 250cc but nevertheless its an interesting lil bike and a good option for those guys who always come here asking about good bikes to travel around China on. I was considering X2 but this might be a winner for me

Tere are not many accessories on taobao yet but it shouldnt be long now. Some good skid plate, handguards and its gonna be a good toy around the back yard.

2. #2 Re: Yamaha XTZ125, good news 
    C-Moto Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by modron View Post
    Today I walked passed my local Yamaha dealer and I saw a little off-road bike there. Got curious so went in and it turns out that Yamaha is selling now a new enduro model. Its called XTZ125 and its pretty cool for RMB11000. If its an old news please forgive me but I didnt see this bike before.

Its an air cooled 125cc engine with a kick/electric start. 10L tank (400km???) and 26cm ground clearance. It comes with dirt tires and there are some decent Kenda or CST tires on taobao in RMB500-700 range.
    Its a shame that it has a drum at the back and that it isnt a 250cc but nevertheless its an interesting lil bike and a good option for those guys who always come here asking about good bikes to travel around China on. I was considering X2 but this might be a winner for me

Tere are not many accessories on taobao yet but it shouldnt be long now. Some good skid plate, handguards and its gonna be a good toy around the back yard.

Why not 250. So much potential to be the best of its kind in China.

3. #3 Re: Yamaha XTZ125, good news 
    They are reactive to the market apposed to being proactive. The market has massing’s they sell into those. For example what does the market purchase the most of, in China it appears that once a certain income is attained then autos become the vehicle of choice. So as the engine size increases the market become smaller the consumers of motorcycles in China are actually price conscious and also require in that fuel efficiency. However it is an evolving market and very large, but it is also hyper competitive so profits are limited.

Yamahas partner Jianshe could consider the new 250 Tenere, however they seem to believe that a touring bike would be the best way to develop that 250cc single into the market?

Tenere 250

Jianshe RT250

4. #4 Re: Yamaha XTZ125, good news 
    Modrod,

I saw the XTZ on the Yamaha website last weekend, I made a few enquires and I went down to my local Yamaha dealer Tuesday to place on order as they didn't have one in stock. So sometime next week I will be taking delivery of a blue XTZ 125. For me the only drawback is the lack of power, but after seeing that there are so many aftermarket engine kits and that these little engines can make more than 20 hp. I couldn't resist.

Yamaha has been selling versions of this bike in Europe and South America for a while, started selling recently in Indonesia as well. So it is tried and tested. The engine is almost the same as the YBR 125, the only difference that I have been able to lean is a different camshaft and carbd setting at least for the South American markets.

As soon as I receive I'll post a review.
    Previous bikes . yamaha DT 50, DT 125, DT 250, DT 400, XT 500. Ossa 350 Trial, Ossa Mike Andrews replica. And now a Yamaha XTZ125 here in China.

Biking is like sex :- you don't have to be good at it to enjoy

5. #5 Re: Yamaha XTZ125, good news 
    C-Moto Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Symon260z View Post
    Modrod,

I saw the XTZ on the Yamaha website last weekend, I made a few enquires and I went down to my local Yamaha dealer Tuesday to place on order as they didn't have one in stock. So sometime next week I will be taking delivery of a blue XTZ 125. For me the only drawback is the lack of power, but after seeing that there are so many aftermarket engine kits and that these little engines can make more than 20 hp. I couldn't resist.

Yamaha has been selling versions of this bike in Europe and South America for a while, started selling recently in Indonesia as well. So it is tried and tested. The engine is almost the same as the YBR 125, the only difference that I have been able to lean is a different camshaft and carbd setting at least for the South American markets.

As soon as I receive I'll post a review.
    What aftermarket kits would this bike take? Would you trust a Chinese mechanic to install it? This bike with more power is just what I'm looking for. But 125 isn't enough for the long distance trips I want to take in the future.

6. #6 Re: Yamaha XTZ125, good news 
    There is so much available for the engine, just search for Yamaha TTR125 on the internet and you will find hundreds of links. The TTR 125 has the same engine, all the part you find on the interent can be used on an XTZ125's engine except the exhaust as the exhaust runs on the left hand side of the bike on the TTR. For the exhaust you can find quite a few options in Argentina or Brasil.

I have bought the XTZ for local use, some road use but mainly offroad, so as long as it will run along the roads at a comfortable 80 kph I will be happy. No fun at higher speeds on offradd tyres anyway. I

have already source some Kenda K270 and extra thick off road type innter tubes from TaoBao. My wishlist for the time being is as follows :-

- A 150cc or maybe even a 180cc big bore kit.
    - Camshaft that gives me improved torque ( better for off roading )
    - I'll buy an extra cylinder head and port the intake and exhaust ports to improve the flow
    - Some sort of improved flow air filter and do some air box mods to improve air flow too
    - Silencer - probably go with the Pro Tork Devil unit. From what I have read it is works well. A second choice would be a FMF silencer.
    - I also need to take a look at the exhaust downpipe and do something about this if there is a restriction of some sorts.
    - Either a VM 24 Mikuni or 26 Keihin Carb, suitable jetted to suit al the mods. There are quite a few internet resources to give baseline figures for the jetting

I don't want to go over the top with the modifications as I still want Yamaha reliabilty so if I can end up with a reliable 13 or 14 BHP that would be ideal.

I would not let a Chinese mechanic even blow up the tyres on my XTZ, I will do everything myself. Any machining ( such as for the 180cc conversion ) I will do at a friend's factory that has everything you can ask for.
    Last edited by Symon260z; 02-01-2015 at 07:38 AM.
    Previous bikes . yamaha DT 50, DT 125, DT 250, DT 400, XT 500. Ossa 350 Trial, Ossa Mike Andrews replica. And now a Yamaha XTZ125 here in China.

7. #7 Re: Yamaha XTZ125, good news 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Hey Symon,

Hows the bike? did you manage to brake it in already? Any modifications done?

I think its going to be quite popular. Ive seen few of them on the streets of Taizhou already. Ive sat on one and it seemed a bit low, but it will do the trick.

8. #8 Re: Yamaha XTZ125, good news 
    I don't want to go over the top with the modifications as I still want Yamaha reliabilty so if I can end up with a reliable 13 or 14 BHP that would be ideal.
    Got the tee shirt done all what you are talking about with my YBR 125cc KG got 10KW and 22.7NM ? Made a big diffance to the bike but sadly it only lasted 13.000 km before on a long hard ride down to Thailand the engine went BANG it just can't take the power upgread so you will not be abel to keep the reliability of the standard engine IMO

Now in the process of fitting a Lifan 250 cc with a 6 speed boxs with 15 kW and 19 NM

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

9. #9 Re: Yamaha XTZ125, good news 
    Hi Modrod,

I have been a bit delayed with my Yamaha as it took a while to get the number plates due to the CNY holiday, anyway I am now 100% legal with HuiZhou number plates and insurance.

I bought this bike mainly for offroading, I don't really enjoy riding on the roads. So far I have clocked up about 400 Kms, all but 40 kms have been offroad :-) It is perfect for what I want but lacking on power. The Suspension seems to work well both on and offroad and I will be leaving alone for while. The Kenda K270 tyres are great, grip well enough on road and so far have been very sure footed off road on hard pack, sand, mud and on rocks. I did go for a quick blast down to my local coffee shop ( 12 kms each way ) and the XTZ sits comfortably at a real 80 kph ( GPS confirmed ) and as such is fine for most of the on road riding I will do. Once I have done the engine modifications I will fit a smaller front gear to make my XTZ a bit longer legged to bring the engine speed down on the road. Should make it more reliable too.

After my second session I did a well documented air box modification ( same as a Yamaha TTR125 ), fitted a KM filter and rejetted the carb. This made a big difference as I can use a higher gear in most situations, using torque not HP. I will wait until may to do any more engine modifications as a customer will bring a Pro Tork exhaust for my XTZ from Brasil next month. As far as I can see Pro Tork is the only company that makes a full exhaust system rather than just a rear silencer. I have already sourced a TM24 Mikuni carb and a range jets to replace the original Mikuni that is not up to scratch and a BBR motorsport 150cc kit with an improved camshaft. Before the weekend I'm off to Hong Kong and i'm going to look for a proper set of handle bars ( the originals are already a little bit bent and some hand guards.

When I have done a bit more riding I'll do a proper report with photos ,and as I go along, I'll post the modifications and results in case they can help anybody else.

Anyway from my short time with the XTZ I am delighted with the bike, it has put up with everything I have thrown at it. Even done some trials type riding on some rocks I found. with a bit more power it will be great. I am sure that Yamaa will sell loads of these :-)

If the engine mods don't give enough I can always fit a YBR250 motor :-)

10. #10 Re: Yamaha XTZ125, good news 
    Quote Originally Posted by Symon260z View Post
    Hi Modrod,

I have been a bit delayed with my Yamaha as it took a while to get the number plates due to the CNY holiday, anyway I am now 100% legal with HuiZhou number plates and insurance.

I bought this bike mainly for offroading, I don't really enjoy riding on the roads. So far I have clocked up about 400 Kms, all but 40 kms have been offroad :-) It is perfect for what I want but lacking on power. The Suspension seems to work well both on and offroad and I will be leaving alone for while. The Kenda K270 tyres are great, grip well enough on road and so far have been very sure footed off road on hard pack, sand, mud and on rocks. I did go for a quick blast down to my local coffee shop ( 12 kms each way ) and the XTZ sits comfortably at a real 80 kph ( GPS confirmed ) and as such is fine for most of the on road riding I will do. Once I have done the engine modifications I will fit a smaller front gear to make my XTZ a bit longer legged to bring the engine speed down on the road. Should make it more reliable too.

After my second session I did a well documented air box modification ( same as a Yamaha TTR125 ), fitted a KM filter and rejetted the carb. This made a big difference as I can use a higher gear in most situations, using torque not HP. I will wait until may to do any more engine modifications as a customer will bring a Pro Tork exhaust for my XTZ from Brasil next month. As far as I can see Pro Tork is the only company that makes a full exhaust system rather than just a rear silencer. I have already sourced a TM24 Mikuni carb and a range jets to replace the original Mikuni that is not up to scratch and a BBR motorsport 150cc kit with an improved camshaft. Before the weekend I'm off to Hong Kong and i'm going to look for a proper set of handle bars ( the originals are already a little bit bent and some hand guards.

When I have done a bit more riding I'll do a proper report with photos ,and as I go along, I'll post the modifications and results in case they can help anybody else.

Anyway from my short time with the XTZ I am delighted with the bike, it has put up with everything I have thrown at it. Even done some trials type riding on some rocks I found. with a bit more power it will be great. I am sure that Yamaa will sell loads of these :-)

If the engine mods don't give enough I can always fit a YBR250 motor :-)
    I am very surprised that you can have a true opinion on a bike with just 400 km
    ? Give it time and for sure the bike will break or some other shit will happen
    I wish I could be wrong but time will tell , wish you luck and safe ridding .

Just 1 point "IF" you do the engine mods as you are talking about change all the engine bearing there are shit chinese made ones that will start to rattle in time ? Mine did ???

Love to hear how you get on with the bike please keep the forum updated if you can .
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast