Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Hello, Dutch newbie in Shenzhen 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hi all, just wanted to say hi.

I new to Shenzhen, have been exploring the city and have got myself a fixie type bicycle already. Really helps to get around but Shenzhen is so big! I briefly looked for a 28" roadster with double top bar frame but could not find 28" bikes in China and no shops that even sell these old style roadsters. Saw a few double top bar 26" roadsters on the road though.

I have spotted a run down Chang Jiang sidecar at a local army clothing store. I am fascinated by these motorcycles and would really like to drive one myself. My dad used to drive one when my parents lived in Shanghai around 2000. He is now enjoying it in France where they live.

I've been reading the forum and it seems it will be difficult to get a legal motorcycle in Shenzhen and drive it without hassle. Is the entire city of Shenzhen motorcycle free or just the city center? I live in the Bantian area of Shenzhen in Longgang district. Somehow hope that it's allowed to ride around Longgang and further away from the city.

Not being able to ride here would be terrible, so far I've had something motorized in each country I've lived. In Holland I had a Honda Steed 600cc (http://youtu.be/WQtiFFdHjQ8), in Indonesia a Honda CG110 (http://youtu.be/gHtEUObeC1c) and in Kenya a motorized roadster bicycle (www.bit.ly/kenyanbicycles). I might have to go for the electric bicycle or the monowheel, but they are just not as much fun as a Chang Jiang I imagine.

Anyone any idea if there are any shops in Shenzhen that sell new Chang Jiangs? And how much would registration would cost in Shenzhen for a 长江? Saw crazy prices on the forum for Shanghai.

3.jpg

Black Mamba Kenya.jpg

2. #2 Re: Hello, Dutch newbie in Shenzhen 
    Danger, Will Robinson! Lao Jia Hou's Avatar
    Welcome Remichi

There used to be a guy (Felix) in southern China (Guilin) that was into CJs. Haven't seen him around this forum for a while, but you could try to PM him. He might be able to help you out in your area. He seems to know CJs quite well.

I am not 100% sure, but I think SZ forbids motorcycles and that probably includes 3-wheeled sidecars.

There is no such thing as a "new" CJ750, only "reconditioned" vehicles. My very strongest advice to you would be to STAY FAR AWAY from the crap that comes out of Beijing, as the few remaining "builders" here have a very poor reputation. Most have gone out of business (for selling crap via unscrupulous methods), but there are still a few trying to survive (they simply don't know how to do anything else, and they don't want to get a real job). I have heard that the situation is similar in Shanghai, but I don't know for sure.

Probably >90% of the CJs remaining in China are running illegal plates and documents. But if you listen to one of the CJ dealers, the dealer will assure you everything is legitimate ... to get your money.

Good luck!

3. #3 Re: Hello, Dutch newbie in Shenzhen 
    C-Moto Senior
    The CJ China days are history everywhere but some still trying to stay on....

Could be a small world after all, might ring a bell?
    http://www.changjiangunlimited.com/Leo.htm

Ride safe, PAL

4. #4 Re: Hello, Dutch newbie in Shenzhen 
    C-Moto Noob
    Yes that's my dad! I knew there were some pictures on the internet somewhere but didn't know the address!

Too bad they're numbered, those electric bikes are just not the same.