Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 leaving china on Chinese bike, how? 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hi,

I want to buy a bike in china and drive it in china for some time then leave china into Mongolia. I have read some posts about buying a Chinese bike as a foreigner (driving with insurance, plates , and intentional licensee ) and i am aware that it is not 100% legal.

My big question, will I be able to leave china with the bike and enter Mongolia?
    which documents will I need?

Any other information will be of much help!

Thanks alot

Baror,

More than a couple people on here have bought a bike in China an exited to another country. Foreigners regularly ride between China and MOngolia so ti must be possible. As a matter of fact, I think there is a post on here of someone trying to organize that exact same trip but not riding around "in" China. We'd need more details about your plans.

Leaving one country is entering another and you'll have to pass through both. Perhaps the most simple is to buy a second hand motorcycle which already has plates and registration and ride it around and out. There is lots of discussion in MyChinaMoto (check the Regionals-Asia section) about this so read around if you haven't already.

CC
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Subscribe to the hippest, most happeneing Adventure Motorcycle Magazine around!
    Adventure Motorcycle Dual Sport News Magazine

Help support MCM!! Buy "The Return - Riding Western China" DVD! -

http://www.motocyclops.com/buydvd/

Personal China travel info, photo and video site:

http://www.carlparker.com

C-Moto Noob
    My plans are buying a Chinese bike and driving it in china,Mongolia , Russia...all the way to turkey (Cost to Cost trip, from the Chinese sea to the Mediterranean sea) .I Don't know where in china I'm going to buy the bike, Any recommendation - I'm flexible as I'm at the first stages of planing.

I'm thinking of buying 200-250CC bike , Any recommendation?

At the moment my biggest question is how can i leave china and enter other countries with the bike? what kind of documents will I need?

I looked around and the only thing relevant I found was the post of tokyokid trip to Berlin (from china) on 125 cc bike. But it seems that he has Chinese citizenship so it not too helpful for me.

4. #4 Exiting China by motorcycle 
    C-Moto Senior
    If you are a resident in China, then owning a legal bike should not be too much trouble. And I assume you'll be entering Mongolia at Erlenhot? Again not much toruble. Entering Russia you'll need to make sure all your registration docs are OK and you'll have to buy Russian Insurance at the border but that border is also pretty easy. I rode from Europe to Beijing going though Russia and the length of Mongolia finally entering China at Erlenhot (after an unsuccessful attempt at QiShi (SP)). E-Mail me if you need any advice or directions.
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=Trans-Eurasia
    Regds,
    Jim
    www.bmwsidecar.com

C-Moto Noob
    I'm not a Chinese resident. As crazycral suggested I want to buy a second hand
    bike with plates and registration. The problem is that I don't know if i can exit china with this bike . Do you know?
    What documents did you use in order to leave\enter china ?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by baror View Post
    I'm not a Chinese resident. As crazycral suggested I want to buy a second hand
    bike with plates and registration. The problem is that I don't know if i can exit china with this bike . Do you know?
    What documents did you use in order to leave\enter china ?

Thanks
    1. There was a guy last year who rode around China on a small bike but failed to make it into Mongolia.

2. Tokyokid made it across the border into Kazakhstan 2008, apparently because the bike owner was with him.

3. Franki just returned from Laos on his bike.

4. Two Swiss will leave to Kyrgyzstan in May on their Chinese registered bikes.

5. A German guy will leave to Vlad late June on his

From what I know, it seems you must be the owner of the bike or have a written approval from the owner to leave China and some sort of export permission.

What is your time schedule ? If you are not in rush, we'll know more when the Swiss are on their way.

Btw, Erenhot is the only land border between China and Mongolia open to third country citizens.
    Andy

7. #7 GingerAdam's TransAsia Adventure!!! 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    I left China through Boten into Laos. I didn't own the bike legally, but I made it out alright. They gave me some resistance but I just kept politely insisting I wanted to leave. They finally said I couldn't bring the bike back into China and let me do it. I don't know about Mongolia, but it might be the same. Also, I think someone did it by putting the bike on a train or something.

Chris

I have some more detailed info on when I left china on my website, www.chrison2wheels.com

C-Moto Noob
    do you know why he failed to enter mongolia ?
    Any way I not in a rush, but any other information will help me alot

Thanks

C-Moto Noob
    Thanks Kurisu.

did you buy the bike in china ?
    where in china?

Quote Originally Posted by baror View Post
    do you know why he failed to enter mongolia ?
    Any way I not in a rush, but any other information will help me alot

Thanks
    He failed to obtain the export permission.
    Andy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast