Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Motorcycle license(Shanghai) : loose ends 
    C-Moto Regular
    I've got a question that I am sure has been answered many times in the past but I can't seem to find the answer anywhere.

I'm currently on a business visa (M) multiple entry for 1 year. I dont normally stay in Shanghai for much longer than a month at a time but due to work commitments I will be here for a little longer than usual throughout this year and the next.

I have checked how to get a license plenty of times and even before the new year called to check if I can take the test both practical and written exam in order to get a motorcycle license. Today I called to confirmed that I can use my temporary residence permit in order to get the license and was with replied with a slight laugh and a 不可以. When I asked why it was confirmed I need to be on a work visa or a student visa in order to get this kind of license...

Now, I know many people on here have the license and have gone down many roads to get it. Now my question is, can I not use my temporary residence permit? If not, then I'm assuming I can't get the license.

I apologize is this has already been covered many times and if someone can either let me know the correct answer or send me a link to a thread which states the answer I'll ver much appreciate it.

Thanks, Josh

2. #2 Re: Motorcycle license(Shanghai) : loose ends 
    Now my question is, can I not use my temporary residence permit? If not, then I'm assuming I can't get the license.

I can't see why you can't many people just use a tourist visa and in some provinces will except a 3 month visa but most want at least a 6 month visa so I am sure you will be fine , please keep the forum updated on your progress Josh
    And good luck
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

3. #3 Re: Motorcycle license(Shanghai) : loose ends 
    C-Moto Noob
    try to read this article, hope it can help you:
    http://www.thebeijinger.com/forum/20...plates-beijing

4. #4 Re: Motorcycle license(Shanghai) : loose ends 
    C-Moto Regular
    Thanks for the advice and encouragement gentlemen.

Today I decided I would go to a few schools and find out, I took my girlfriend along just in case I missed anything important (my Chinese isn't the best).

Anyway, I was told I could use my temporary resident permit to apply for the license and also take the two test.

Hopefully there is a light at the end of the tunnel but the process has for sure not fully started yet.

I will use this thread to keep things up to date.

I also checked the price of a 250 qingqi in the local dealer new my apartment. The bike itself will cost ¥9,000 and the lovely Shanghai 户C will cost ¥20,000. This is what I was told by the dealer anyway.

If anyone has any input on the price and the plate etc. Please let me know

Josh

5. #5 Re: Motorcycle license(Shanghai) : loose ends 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hi Josh
    ¥20,000 for 户C plate is the right price... :-(

6. #6 Re: Motorcycle license(Shanghai) : loose ends 
    C-Moto Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by peterp5x View Post
    Hi Josh
    ¥20,000 for 户C plate is the right price... :-(

I guess the price is what it is, I try to think of it as an investment rather than anything.

If I really wanted to I could register a bike in my girlfriends hometown for less than ¥2000 but I just feel having the correct Shanghai C is better than having a different province plate. I always feel the police look for the other plates more than the actual 户 plates. But this is just me trying to justify to myself that i will pay 20,000 a plate that in another province I would pay hardly nothing for.

I guess it's the way the cookie crumbles, now I am kind of thinking what bike I will get again. I mean, if I spend so much on a plate I might as well get a very good bike.

7. #7 Re: Motorcycle license(Shanghai) : loose ends 
    I might as well get a very good bike.
    Then don't buy a Chinese made bike if you are looking for a "very good bike" not seen one not heard of one so one can say it's as rare as rocking horse shit !
    "Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

8. #8 Re: Motorcycle license(Shanghai) : loose ends 
    C-Moto Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by prince666 View Post
    Then don't buy a Chinese made bike if you are looking for a "very good bike" not seen one not heard of one so one can say it's as rare as rocking horse shit !
    You argue a very good point there, apologies for my madness.

At the moment any kind of bike that will run and isn't as slow as an old pony would do. But this mindset will change as soon I get on a road hiding out of shanghai.

I guess you either go two ways, get a cheap chinese bike and expensive plate with the good opportunity fixing the bike fast and cheaply or purchase a more expensive bike with parts you have to wait on order for, haha.

The joys of China.

9. #9 Re: Motorcycle license(Shanghai) : loose ends 
    C-Moto Regular
    Tried a number of schools in Shanghai, every one I tried so far are all saying I am not able to take the test as there is no english version. What a load of s**t! Please excuse my French.

I'm sure I came across a guy on the forum before and he took the full test in Shanghai, does anyone have a link to that thread I can't find it anywhere.

Josh