I've got a question that I am sure has been answered many times in the past but I can't seem to find the answer anywhere.

I'm currently on a business visa (M) multiple entry for 1 year. I dont normally stay in Shanghai for much longer than a month at a time but due to work commitments I will be here for a little longer than usual throughout this year and the next.

I have checked how to get a license plenty of times and even before the new year called to check if I can take the test both practical and written exam in order to get a motorcycle license. Today I called to confirmed that I can use my temporary residence permit in order to get the license and was with replied with a slight laugh and a 不可以. When I asked why it was confirmed I need to be on a work visa or a student visa in order to get this kind of license...

Now, I know many people on here have the license and have gone down many roads to get it. Now my question is, can I not use my temporary residence permit? If not, then I'm assuming I can't get the license.

I apologize is this has already been covered many times and if someone can either let me know the correct answer or send me a link to a thread which states the answer I'll ver much appreciate it.

Thanks, Josh