Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Hello from Tempe today, China in the future? 
    C-Moto Noob
    Hey all,
    I taught English in Qingdao a couple years ago, and I'm considering a return to China this year. When I lived in Qingdao I had a ChanLin 125 that I had quite a bit of fun riding and beating up. It was stolen 3 weeks before I left, but I certainly got 3000rmb worth of riding out of it.

Here in the States I grew up with dirt bikes, and I've had a few other street bikes along the way. Since I returned from China Ive been itching to get another bike, but I might make it back to China first.

The CK Moto 650NK is looking good. I would consider that the best option I've seen yet on here.

Are there any decent Chinese supermotos that have decent power? Anything like a DRZ400 or even better a WR450 in China? A supermoto or dual sport setup seems ideal for the vast majority of riding I did in Qingdao.

Also, has anyone managed to get a CCW bike in China? The looks you would get riding a Heist in China...

Anyways - I'm not there yet, but if I do get back over there this fall I'll be looking for people to ride with.

Best,
    Denny

2. #2 Re: Hello from Tempe today, China in the future? 
    Try these guys--their 450 used to be available in China. However, someone reported a very bad experience with his while owning one in China. That was over 5 or so years, and fast forward to today--this is the bike and the company that Cleveland Cycle Werks is partnering in with for their Hooligun offroad and motard bikes, so quality might have improved (as far as being Chinese).

Jialing has a 600, but that is more of an adventure bike. CFMoto has a couple 650 versions of a bike, but none are trail/adventure type bikes.

3. #3 Re: Hello from Tempe today, China in the future? 
    Hi Danny, I'm down in Zibo not too far away. I've been here 12 years, due to being married to a local.

Unfortunately there is not much available in the really logical road/trail 400-450 cc size. Maybe one day.

I've got a CFMOTO 650 NK. Whist the bike has only given me a few niggles and is a blast to ride, the long term reliability and resale value weigh on my mind. If I had the money and I were to do it all again I'd buy a Thai made CB500, or if my budget was lower a Thai made Ninja 250/300 or Z250/Z300.

There are a few shinerays, zongshens and Asiawings etc that look like they might do the job, really I wouldn't take the risk. China bikes are still mostly a bit crap. The Jialing JH 600, CFMOTOs and Qianjiangs are a bit less crap, but still I'd take a Jap bike any day. We are lucky these days, but the Thai made bikes are much cheaper than import bikes used to be, however we still need to pay 70% more than Thai prices for anything over 250cc.

4. #4 Re: Hello from Tempe today, China in the future? 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Asiawing's 450... or Shinerays 400cc are the main >400cc trail/dual sport bikes available in PRC. The Dirtracker (made in Thailand) is available legally inside PRC- but seems only the 150cc is being bought in. The 250cc Dirtracker doesn't seem to be bought in via the official distributor. But as with all things PRC 'watch this space'. The Jialing JH600 is a more adventure orientated ride, and there are one or two in the MCM for sale section AFAIK.

Other brands and models have been mentioned... QJ (QianJiang or QinJiang) Benelli who manufacture in Taizhou, CFMoto (ChunFeung) manufactured out of Hangzhou and are partnered with KTM (KTMR2R). Towards the later half of 2015 CFMoto will release the 650MT adventure model likely with ABS as standard (now fitted to the '15 150cc as well as the 650NK & 650TR/TK models. The 650MT has design input from Kiska design (KTM designer).

There are a range of legally imported Jap bikes, some of which are manufactured in Thailand, and landing in PRC at somewhat more affordable pricing than bikes legally imported from Japan, the EU or countries outside SEA. This is due to agreements between SEA group and PRC.
    Last edited by bikerdoc; 02-26-2015 at 06:25 AM.
    Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist
    - Pablo Picasso

5. #5 Re: Hello from Tempe today, China in the future? 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    AFAIK there are no legally imported DRZ400 or WRZ's... plenty of illegal DRZ400's though... A pretty accurate predictor of how common a particular make/model is, just search on Taobao... one or two pages will likely indicate that the make/model isn't so common. Ten plus pages likely indicates the opposite.
    Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist
    - Pablo Picasso