Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Beijing afternoon out NW of 6th Ring Road 
    Hi everyone,

I got out for an afternoon and explored some mountain roads just outside the 6th Ring road. I just looked on Baidu maps to find some mountains close to where I live and decided to check this place out.

There's a cluster of more or less derelict villages on these mountains linked by fire roads, mostly paved. Villages with names such as da gong cun (大工村) and temples, one called da jue temple (大觉寺)on a mountain called da jue mountain (大觉山) and another place, though the name doesn't make any sense to me, called hui xin shi (回心石)

I think I'll go back and explore some more. There are what seem to be a labyrinth of paved fire roads and dirt/gravel trails. The only traffic I came across was old folks walking the roads and one other motorcycle. No cars! Maybe that had to do with the closed gates? There were a few signs in Chinese that seemed to say something about fire trucks only, no other vehicles... My Chinese isn't that great, and no one was there to stop me...

Here's the route I took to get out to the area... I took a picture of my computer screen so that I wouldn't get too lost on the way out... Note: don't rely on Baidu maps for the roads once in the area... most of the roads I went on yesterday weren't on the map. Google maps is even worse. I think it's nice because it's so close to Beijing... no need to use the expressway, only took about a half our to get there from where I live (near wudaokou).

Here's some shots from my helmet cam to give you an idea what the roads look like (set to snap a picture every 20 seconds):

Lots of switchbacks like this one (if you like switchbacks):

Of course, I snapped a few pics of my bike, too!

Once off the mountain, I rode through this depressing rubble of what was once a village, some people still wandering around and trying to live there:

Finally back into the city, I'll leave this photo so you guys can guess what the black car decided to do...

I shot a short video while riding, I'l hopefully get that uploaded soon...

Cheers!

2. #2 Re: Beijing afternoon out NW of 6th Ring Road 

3. #3 Re: Beijing afternoon out NW of 6th Ring Road 
    Looks like fun, thanks for sharing with us.