Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Reliability of your China Moto 
    C-Moto Regular
    Hello all,

As some as you know I'm new to this forum and have already jumped in the deepend to try and get the full Chinese motorcycle test sorted in sunny Shanghai

If the thread has been covered before please excuse me for being such a newbie with the search button but as far as I can see this topic hasn't been covered.

I wanna talk about reliability, something that the Ch1nese are unaware of. I love clocking up the kilometers on any bike as much as anybody else. When I lived in England I has a 1995 Vespa T5, most people don't appreciate them but I clocked up 23,000 miles on that in one year. It's not Ch1nese but still 23,000 with not a single problem, I think I got too lucky.

Anyway, back to the point. Within sometime soon when I hopefully acquire a shiny Chinese license I hope to buy a bike and that's a Chinese one of course

I've been checking out some bikes at my local dealers, qingqi, cfmoto etc.

I know I can find opinions about the awful quality some people do come across. I know I'm prepared for some maintainence, it's common with any bike. But I wanna know about those little work horses, the ones with some good mileage on them, ones that have broke a little but was easily repaired.

So what's your most reliable Chinese Moto? Probably the most reliable was still not that reliable at all in western standards but any guy in a shop can tell me a bike will last a long time but whether it will or not you never know until you ask the people that bought them before.

I'm a supermoto/dirt kind of guy but any bike that has served you well please post on here.

Also there was a qingqi supermoto kind of bike with a rear drum brake does anyone know which model I'm talking about its a 250. But I can't seem to find it online, maybe it was a qingqi but it sure was one of the usual ch1nese brands.

Josh

2. #2 Re: Reliability of your China Moto 
    C-Moto Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshmakesnoise View Post
    Hello all,

As some as you know I'm new to this forum and have already jumped in the deepend to try and get the full Chinese motorcycle test sorted in sunny Shanghai

If the thread has been covered before please excuse me for being such a newbie with the search button but as far as I can see this topic hasn't been covered.

I wanna talk about reliability, something that the Ch1nese are unaware of. I love clocking up the kilometers on any bike as much as anybody else. When I lived in England I has a 1995 Vespa T5, most people don't appreciate them but I clocked up 23,000 miles on that in one year. It's not Ch1nese but still 23,000 with not a single problem, I think I got too lucky.

Anyway, back to the point. Within sometime soon when I hopefully acquire a shiny Chinese license I hope to buy a bike and that's a Chinese one of course

I know I can find opinions about the awful quality some people do come across. I know I'm prepared for some maintainence, it's common with any bike. But I wanna know about those little work horses, the ones with some good mileage on them, ones that have broke a little but was easily repaired.

So what's your most reliable Chinese Moto? Probably the most reliable was still not that reliable at all in western standards but any guy in a shop can tell me a bike will last a long time but whether it will or not you never know until you ask the people that bought them before.

I'm a supermoto/dirt kind of guy but any bike that has served you well please post on here.

Also there was a qingqi supermoto kind of bike with a rear drum brake does anyone know which model I'm talking about its a 250. But I can't seem to find it online, maybe it was a qingqi but it sure was one of the usual ch1nese brands.

Josh
    qinqi qm250? I've heard those are one of the most reliable in terms of Chinese bikes.
    I think any bike by Zongshen, Jialing, Shineray, any Japanese Joint venture companies will be fine. (Not just the engine branded by the company, but the whole bike). There are reports of people putting on 100,000km on some Chinese bikes. Treat it well and it should be ok. Don't expect it to sell well after a few years. Just use it, maintain and keep it clean. Might have problems with spokes, chain, untightening screws and battery problems. Replace them before they become a problem.

Avoid any CQR's/ anything below 10,000rmb brand new. They really do skimp on the materials.

3. #3 Re: Reliability of your China Moto 
    Hello all,

Josh
    If you want a reliable bike then you want a bike with a Japanese name on the tank.

Option 1: Buy an imported one from Thailand, in my view import taxes are low enough for it to be worth it especially with the 250cc bikes like a Ninja 250-300.
    Option 2: Buy a joint venture one. I had a Sundiro Honda CBF150. Did 30,000 kms, only oil changes and a fork seal, most reliable bike I ever had.

Sure, you could buy a China bike, and maybe, probably, you only have a few niggles or maybe it falls apart after 3 years. Sure you can read a some review singing some bikes praises by a dodgy journalist who was given a free bike to ride and never did over one summer or 2000 miles on the thing.

I have a CFMOTO 650NK, it is fairly reliable so far, two of us have this bike, it's not terrible by any means, but in these days of fuel injection and fussy electronics I can't honestly say they are a good investment, or any Chinese bike for that matter. We had some problems nothing drastic but have a read on this thread. Sure you'll pay a bit more for a Honda, but you'll get most of your money back when you come to sell it.

4. #4 Re: Reliability of your China Moto 
    C-Moto Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMC888 View Post
    If you want a reliable bike then you want a bike with a Japanese name on the tank.

Option 1: Buy an imported one from Thailand, in my view import taxes are low enough for it to be worth it especially with the 250cc bikes like a Ninja 250-300.
    Option 2: Buy a joint venture one. I had a Sundiro Honda CBF150. Did 30,000 kms, only oil changes and a fork seal, most reliable bike I ever had.

Sure, you could buy a China bike, and maybe, probably, you only have a few niggles or maybe it falls apart after 3 years. Sure you can read a some review singing some bikes praises by a dodgy journalist who was given a free bike to ride and never did over one summer or 2000 miles on the thing.

I have a CFMOTO 650NK, it is fairly reliable so far, two of us have this bike, it's not terrible by any means, but in these days of fuel injection and fussy electronics I can't honestly say they are a good investment, or any Chinese bike for that matter. We had some problems nothing drastic but have a read on this thread. Sure you'll pay a bit more for a Honda, but you'll get most of your money back when you come to sell it.
    Know of any suitable dirt/dual sports with japanese name on the tank? Or any planning to come out this year.
    I'm forever waiting :(

5. #5 Re: Reliability of your China Moto 
    C-Moto Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by VroomVroom View Post
    Know of any suitable dirt/dual sports with japanese name on the tank? Or any planning to come out this year.
    I'm forever waiting :(
    I went to a Kawasaki dealership today in Shanghai, they had 2 off road bikes available. Both 150's, although no price tag and I didn't end up asking. They seemed fairly busy selling all the big bikes to all the rich chinese.

They also had a Suzuki dealership next door but they didn't have any off-road bikes inside. You could check online for prices.

6. #6 Re: Reliability of your China Moto 
    C-Moto Regular

You make a really good point, I maybe should invest in a japanese branded bike. Let's say if I was riding out of shanghai and something went wrong with a japanese bike. Are parts easily sourced? Or would be it be a situation of waiting a slight deal of time getting parts from Japan.

7. #7 Re: Reliability of your China Moto 
    You make a really good point, I maybe should invest in a japanese branded bike. Let's say if I was riding out of shanghai and something went wrong with a japanese bike. Are parts easily sourced? Or would be it be a situation of waiting a slight deal of time getting parts from Japan.
    Well Japanese bikes are not really made in Japan so much these days. China, Thailand or India are just as likely it seems. Parts can be ordered online. For example if you order parts from wemoto.com they will get to you in about three weeks, if you have a warranty issue they'll probably take three months or more whatever type of bike you have, (so goodbye riding season) because Chinese companies just don't give a crap so they'll take forever, and Japanese companies don't care very much either and parts probably are outside of China and will need to be sent. Also most Chinese mechanics aren't that wonderful particularly ones that work for big shops. Therefore just buy parts online and get a competent mechanic/yourself to fit them and ignore the warranty unless you have some major defect in practical terms. Maybe if you live somewhere and there is actually a shop with good mechanics who work their ass off to get warranty parts quickly with parts in stock somewhere, but that's probably not China!

8. #8 Re: Reliability of your China Moto 
    C-Moto Regular
    Well Japanese bikes are not really made in Japan so much these days. China, Thailand or India are just as likely it seems. Parts can be ordered online. For example if you order parts from wemoto.com they will get to you in about three weeks, if you have a warranty issue they'll probably take three months or more whatever type of bike you have, (so goodbye riding season) because Chinese companies just don't give a crap so they'll take forever, and Japanese companies don't care very much either and parts probably are outside of China and will need to be sent. Also most Chinese mechanics aren't that wonderful particularly ones that work for big shops. Therefore just buy parts online and get a competent mechanic/yourself to fit them and ignore the warranty unless you have some major defect in practical terms. Maybe if you live somewhere and there is actually a shop with good mechanics who work their ass off to get warranty parts quickly with parts in stock somewhere, but that's probably not China!
    Yeah I get what you mean, I'm more than able to rebuild the bike myself and fix and problems on it. It just got me wondering if I was out in a little town and the bike needed fixing would there be a good few places at hand that can help fix or even have some spare parts. Other than them looking at the bike asif it's a strange animal.

9. #9 Re: Reliability of your China Moto 
    Yeah I get what you mean, I'm more than able to rebuild the bike myself and fix and problems on it. It just got me wondering if I was out in a little town and the bike needed fixing would there be a good few places at hand that can help fix or even have some spare parts. Other than them looking at the bike asif it's a strange animal.
    Basically if it's not a carby 125cc single, they haven't got much of a clue. Chinese shops where I am have very little stock, they are terrified that they'll be stuck with it. Shanghai though, I have no idea, maybe they have better stock and service.

I have favorite mechanics for doing different jobs, they all have independent little shops. In China labor is practically free, so you don't need to get your hands dirty unless you enjoy it. You buy their oil, they change it for free. They are fine with you being in the workshop or usually on the pavement watching, suggesting or working. I can do a lot of stuff, but I only do brakes because I enjoy doing them. If the job takes 15 minutes I will pay 50 an hour, doubt the locals do. I do pay them for fitting parts I bought online, sometimes I even pay them in grease, tools, baijiu and cigarettes!

10. #10 Re: Reliability of your China Moto 
    C-Moto Regular
    I do pay them for fitting parts I bought online, sometimes I even pay them in grease, tools, baijiu and cigarettes!
    One of the best things about ch1na

Thanks for everything you've mentioned, it's a great help. Now it's time to get the license and buy the bike, I'm so bad at making decisions.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast