Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. #11 Re: Jialing 200 GY In Shandong Yantai 
    C-Moto Noob
    It was 180元 for the year.
    Well darn if that isn't reasonable as hell.

Yeah, it's a 6 speed. No type there. It also has a digital tack that with a fuel gauge. I've never had a bike that my fuel gauge wasn't my tripometer, so I was excited about that feature. There has been a small issue with starting. The EFI system isn't as foolproof as a cars. It doesn't like starting and although it always catches and fires immediately, it will almost always stall after the first few cycles. So, you have to gun the throttle and get the RPM up to about 3000 within a second. Then rev it a bit at 3000 for 5 seconds. Then it's fine. It's almost like the sensors can't get a good baseline and aren't able to give the bike a good starting mixture right off the bat. Once it gets going, it's golden. Just those first few seconds are messy. Also, sometimes the EFI won't start at all. This happened in the middle of no where after a quick lunch break. My wife starts freaking out a bit. I was thinking, "damn, this could get annoying". Then she jokes and says, "try turning it off and turning it on again." I tried it and it worked. It's happened a few times since and that trick always works.
    Dang, I was hoping that was a mistake, my bike maxes out at 100kph as you mentioned yours did, and first gear is already useless. I get the feeling with another gear stuffed in there I'm going to getting a new sprocket pretty darn quick to lengthen out the gear ratio.

Your comments on the EFI don't exactly inspire any additional (not that there was much in the first place) confidence with the system. First thing that caught my eye was the EFI because I live in Tier-88, and while my particular mechanic is knowledgeable enough, any issues with that outside of the city and I'll really be stuck. Maybe I'll wait for next years model. VERY happy to hear about the fuel gauge though, I'm a dumbass and always forget to reset my trip ODO (only had to use the reserve switch once though, haha).

It's those damn tents they put up outside the store fronts. Right in the middle of the sidewalk. I nail my head on em everytime.
    Every. Damn. Time. I hate those things with a passion. You'd think after living here for years I'd have learned, but nope...manage to remember ducking through doorways and other assorted things but for some reason the tents always ambush me.

2. #12 Re: Jialing 200 GY In Shandong Yantai 
    C-Moto Regular cryptographicide's Avatar
    I don't think that 180 bought me anything at all besides one of the steps required to getting a license plate. I do not assume that the insurance will ever pay out in an accident or if I am injured. I basically assume it's nothing. I'd love to pay for real insurance that I can trust in, but I've yet to find anyone who know where I could get that.
    1995 Suzuki Intruder (2005-Present){Canada}
    2003 Daelim Daystar (2011-2012){S. Korea}
    2014 Jialing 200 GY5A (2015-Present) {China}

3. #13 Re: Jialing 200 GY In Shandong Yantai 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cryptographicide View Post
    I don't think that 180 bought me anything at all besides one of the steps required to getting a license plate. I do not assume that the insurance will ever pay out in an accident or if I am injured. I basically assume it's nothing. I'd love to pay for real insurance that I can trust in, but I've yet to find anyone who know where I could get that.
    Comprehensive insurance policies are available for legal Harley Davidson, BMW motorcycle et al. sold by officially licensed dealerships supplied via the official country distributor.

This is an option arranged through the official distributor for the respective brand, though not a general option for the more common lower end local brands. Full comprehensive policy that includes fire & theft for BMW Motorrad imported and sold motorcycles and then insured via PICC insurance for a F700GS costs approximately 5000CNY/year.

As for the regular compulsory third-party insurance coverage, they do provide cover depending on who is apportioned fault or culpability. It's also sometimes possible to purchase an add-on to the standard third-party policy. Though this add-on can be very difficult to obtain in some instances.

The cost of the compulsory third-party policy is fairly inexpensive for motorcycles below 249cc however prices increase exponentially for motorcycles above 250cc's.

The compulsory third party insurance for a 650cc like a CF650 costs approximately 800-900CNY/year, compared to cost for a <249cc at around 150CNY
    Last edited by bikerdoc; 04-16-2015 at 02:33 AM.
    Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist
    - Pablo Picasso

4. #14 Re: Jialing 200 GY In Shandong Yantai 
    Quote Originally Posted by cryptographicide View Post
    In China the insurance will work like this.......

If you have an accident with a pedestrian, bicycle or ebike then you pay regardless, but your insurance will or should cover this. If you have an accident with something bigger their insurance pays, but any lack of legality on your part will mean you get less payout. If you have an accident with anything smaller than you without insurance then you'll be turned into a human ATM.

Accient with another bike; 'he said, she said'. Basically as they rarely ride more than two km from their home they'll phone some friends to lie on their behalf as witnesses, so unless you have a mini camera recording every ride you'll pay in that situation.

Compulsory 3rd party insurance is crap, but a hell of a lot less crap than nothing.

5. #15 Re: Jialing 200 GY In Shandong Yantai 
    C-Moto Noob
    Accient with another bike; 'he said, she said'. Basically as they rarely ride more than two km from their home they'll phone some friends to lie on their behalf as witnesses, so unless you have a mini camera recording every ride you'll pay in that situation.
    Yep, that's why I ride with a GoPro. Makes me REALLY fucking obvious in this town...as if the helmet didn't already do that though, haha (although, I may have started something as I see folks wearing them from time to time now).

Are there any national insurance brands you guys recommend for the compulsory insurance?

6. #16 Re: Jialing 200 GY In Shandong Yantai 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Saselhoff View Post
    Yep, that's why I ride with a GoPro. Makes me REALLY fucking obvious in this town...as if the helmet didn't already do thab8t though, haha (although, I may have started something as I see folks wearing them from time to time now).

Are there any national insurance brands you guys recommend for the compulsory insurance?
    The third-party compulsory insurer for motorcycles is appointed and organized via the Traffic Management Bureau in your location and is often obtained in the Traffic PSB office where license plates, driver's licenses and motorcycle inspections are undertaken. You should check with that office to determine which insurer provides the cover.

The insurer may have a counter in one building or another on-site or you may have to find their office. No matter as the Traffic PSB should be able to direct you. The main point is you cannot obtain the insurance other than from the delegated insurer
    Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist
    - Pablo Picasso

7. #17 Re: Jialing 200 GY In Shandong Yantai 
    C-Moto Noob
    Cool. Thanks for the info.

8. #18 Re: Jialing 200 GY In Shandong Yantai 
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerdoc View Post
    The third-party compulsory insurer for motorcycles is appointed and organized via the Traffic Management Bureau in your location and is often obtained in the Traffic PSB office where license plates, driver's licenses and motorcycle inspections are undertaken. You should check with that office to determine which insurer provides the cover.

The insurer may have a counter in one building or another on-site or you may have to find their office. No matter as the Traffic PSB should be able to direct you. The main point is you cannot obtain the insurance other than from the delegated insurer
    Are you sure about this?
    I asked for an insurance office within the PSB traffic division a few months ago (there used to be one) cue shrugs and 'no idea'. Then went to a PICC office miles away, cover was no problem outside of the PSB traffic. Although was careful to continue cover with same insurer as registration originally came with.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12