Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Jialing 200 GY In Shandong Yantai 
    C-Moto Regular cryptographicide's Avatar
    Hi. I've been posting on the forums for a while now and have been a lurking member since my plan to come to China first started forming in my mind.

Last month, I bought my bike and have been crazy busy since then. Busy with class, busy riding, busy fixing the bike. It's a China bike and, of course, problems have risen. Fixing has been fun. Finding the tools at the Yantai tool market, very exciting place. Shopping on Taobao for new stuff and replacement parts. Also, I bought quite a bit of riding gear on the site and haven't really been disappointed yet. Got my helmet, gloves, and helmet cam online and all showed up being of acceptable quality. Also picked up some body armor because I couldn't find a jacket with sewn in protection. The armor would be overkill in Canada, but here, it seems just right.

A bit about me. I'm from Alberta Canada. I am here to learn Chinese and paying for it by teaching English. I've have been planning to come to China for a long time. And it feels really great to finally be here doing what I came here to do. So..Here is the bike.

It's a 230cc dualsport made by Jialing. It was 13500元. I didn't barter down from the list price on Newmotor. It's fully registered, though registered to the shop owners name. The insurance company made a big stink about putting my name on the insurance, but I said it's a no deal if my name isn't on the insurance, at least. The owner proved to be a decent guy and did all the work for me. Probably because I paid him about 3 times what the insurance and registration are worth to do it for me. I figured the price would buy his loyalty and it did.

I drove it off the lot, and had my first drive a few weeks ago. Yantai has amazing mountain paths that wind over and around all the coastal mountains near the city. It makes for some great riding just outside my backdoor. Like within 500m, I'm climbing a mountain road.

That night, I was coming to a stop near my house. Just as I put my foot down to stop, my brake lever went loose. My brake hose blew. It had been rubbing against the tire and had worn through. Rode home and to the shop the next day without a front brake. Owner was sorry it had broke and replaced it for free. He did the work himself even though he employs two mechanics. This impressed me until I saw the quality of work he was doing. He had no idea how to bleed a brake. He routed the hose inbetween the forks and the frame so that a tight turn would cause the hose to be squeezed. I said thanks for the free hose and ran to the tool market to buy the tools I needed to fix the bike myself.

Here is a picture of a "yantai" (smoke tower) on a mountain in Yantai.

1995 Suzuki Intruder (2005-Present){Canada}
    2003 Daelim Daystar (2011-2012){S. Korea}
    2014 Jialing 200 GY5A (2015-Present) {China}

2. #2 Re: Jialing 200 GY In Shandong Yantai 
    Welcome to here. I am glad to see that Jialing have slightly larger engines than 150cc, although nothing was wrong with the 150cc. It seemed/seems (the 150) to be the proverbial 'tank' based on those who have posted about them through the years, including 'Crazy Carl' who started this site when he lived in China several years back. The larger engine can only make a good bike better!

3. #3 Re: Jialing 200 GY In Shandong Yantai 
    C-Moto Noob
    First off, welcome to China! Glad to see you have finally made it here after wanting to come for so long...hopefully that won't wear thin (after 3.5 years things are starting to "tarnish", haha). Good luck with the Chinese, and don't make the mistake I did and start off learning the local dialect (I was a bit of a dumb-ass when I came as I had zero plans to come here, unlike you).

Second off, well shoot! How long has this bike been out? I'm riding a Jialing JH150-GY that I love and have had for a year or two...but it's just a bit anemic on power, especially with the GF on the back. I had planned on just dropping in a 250cc as it's apparently only about 2k RMB so says my "bike guy", who unlike other mechanics out there (like yours, haha sorry about that...it really sucks not to have someone to do all the shit you don't feel like getting your hands dirty doing) really seems to know his shit...and he's actually a professional stunt rider, so he understands how important things on a bike are.

But your bike really looks nice, also looks more "rugged" to me (shock covers and all that), and given the off-roading I do I want something a bit tougher. Not only that, but even though 10k kilometers on a JH150 is nothing (the guy above was correct, they really are tanks) I figure things are probably starting to loosen up and it might not hurt to start off fresh.

If you don't mind my asking though, you look REALLY big on that bike...are you? I ask because I'm 189cm and about 105kg, and you sitting on that bike makes it look smaller than mine (and that's definitely not what I want if I'm going to upgrade). But if you are a domesticated bigfoot like me, then it's all good, haha.

You mentioned that you had the bike guy register the bike, why did you do that? Do you not have the proper visa (lots of English teachers don't, so no offense intended)? And how did you go about getting the insurance? I actually don't have any yet (just got my license a couple months ago even), but I live in Tier-88 where no one cares, especially when you are a foreigner....heck, the policeman was wondering why I was even trying to get a license (and he was a pretty high level guy as we had to go through several layers of guanxi to get it done). Hell, I STILL haven't registered it or put plates on it (that's on the list...though, the plates will stay off so the cameras can't get me, haha).

After riding it for a while (and clearly doing some trips from the looks of things), what are your impressions? Does it handle the curves as well as the bumpy stuff (well, as good as a dual sport can)? Is there adequate room for a GF on the back? Finally, did you add anything to the bike? Or is all that stock?

TL;DR: Nice bike man, what are your thoughts after owning it for a while?

4. #4 Re: Jialing 200 GY In Shandong Yantai 
    Quote Originally Posted by Saselhoff View Post
    First off, welcome to China! Glad to see you have finally made it here after wanting to come for so long...hopefully that won't wear thin (after 3.5 years things are starting to "tarnish", haha). Good luck with the Chinese, and don't make the mistake I did and start off learning the local dialect (I was a bit of a dumb-ass when I came as I had zero plans to come here, unlike you).
    I'm taking mandarin lessons from my school. They have a standing policy to allow all foreign teachers to attend as many Chinese for foreigners classes as they want. So I packed my schedule. All the classes teach putonghua, not yantaihua. Yantai hua sounds more like piratese than beijinghua. ex. "Nan MERRRRRRRR" instead of "nan men".

If you don't mind my asking though, you look REALLY big on that bike...are you? I ask because I'm 189cm and about 105kg, and you sitting on that bike makes it look smaller than mine (and that's definitely not what I want if I'm going to upgrade). But if you are a domesticated bigfoot like me, then it's all good, haha.
    This was the main reason that I refused anything below 200cc. I'm 195cm and 115kg. So, I'm huge. The bike is big but it is also quite short compared to other dirtbikes I've ridden. I don't think you'll feel that this bike is small when you ride it.

You mentioned that you had the bike guy register the bike, why did you do that? Do you not have the proper visa (lots of English teachers don't, so no offense intended)? And how did you go about getting the insurance? I actually don't have any yet (just got my license a couple months ago even), but I live in Tier-88 where no one cares, especially when you are a foreigner....heck, the policeman was wondering why I was even trying to get a license (and he was a pretty high level guy as we had to go through several layers of guanxi to get it done). Hell, I STILL haven't registered it or put plates on it (that's on the list...though, the plates will stay off so the cameras can't get me, haha).
    In my city, the registration office feels that foreigners are not allowed to register bikes. This is a rumour, however, and I think the process is possible. Next year when I try and renew the registration, hopefully my Chinese will be good enough that I can do it myself. All the paperwork is fine. The motorcycle is insured under both of our names. I insisted on this and it was very annoying for the bike shop owner. He spend about 6 hours at the insurance company office insisting they get it done. I know for a fact he called my bank because my bank called be asking if they could release information. The insurance company did not believe that the bank used my English name and not my Chinese name. The insurance company refused to put my Chinese name on the insurance because it wasn't in my passport and my drivers license isn't a real form of ID. He sorted it out and I never regretted paying him about 800 more than it was worth to get it done for me.

After riding it for a while (and clearly doing some trips from the looks of things), what are your impressions? Does it handle the curves as well as the bumpy stuff (well, as good as a dual sport can)? Is there adequate room for a GF on the back? Finally, did you add anything to the bike? Or is all that stock?

TL;DR: Nice bike man, what are your thoughts after owning it for a while?
    It handles like a dirtbike and seldomly like a dualsport. On the roads and highways, it is quick and maneuverable. The curves are very fun and you can take them brilliantly fast. It has a decent amount of power to it and at 6000rpm it goes 90km/h. I want to get a rear sprocket short one tooth to increase the speed a bit. I take it offroad all the time. It handles well on all kinda of stuff. I haven't met a hill that it couldn't make it up. And I haven't been able to out ride it on anything yet.

No problems as of yet, save the brake line. I replaced the one the machanic gave me with a stainless steel woven line and the brakes are 100% improved. I also added a topbox that serves as a backrest of the wife. She fits on it well and the bike doesn't really change in performance when she is on. Lastly, I bought a USB charger and cellphone holder. This was a fantastic purchase. I've only put 600km on her, but so far, I have no complaints.

5. #5 Re: Jialing 200 GY In Shandong Yantai 
    C-Moto Noob
    A fantastic and well thought out reply. Thanks man.

And wow, I didn't think it was possible to sound MORE like a pirate than Beijinghua, haha.

I know it's a different situation, but what would (if you know) the insurance have cost you if it had only been you? And I presume it's for the year? And shit, I can already see the bureaucratic nightmare that is going to happen when I try it (same deal as you, bank is my real name, DL is my Chinese name).

I was looking at the website, it says it is a 6 speed...is that correct? Because with gearing so short that you can't break 95kph (I can tuck in and get a whole 110!! haha), and the fact that I already hate first with a five speed because it's useless, I am hoping that this is a typo (considering they already misspelled it on the website, I won't be too surprised to find out it's actually a five speed).

Finally, Oh Odin, 195cm? You poor bastard...and I complain over here at 189 (you'd think more than three years here I'd stop whacking my head on shit, but nope).

Thanks again for the clear and concise reply.
    Last edited by Saselhoff; 04-12-2015 at 02:10 AM. Reason: Werds

6. #6 Re: Jialing 200 GY In Shandong Yantai 
    Quote Originally Posted by Saselhoff View Post
    A fantastic and well thought out reply. Thanks man.

And wow, I didn't think it was possible to sound MORE like a pirate than Beijinghua, haha.

I know it's a different situation, but what would (if you know) the insurance have cost you if it had only been you? And I presume it's for the year? And shit, I can already see the bureaucratic nightmare that is going to happen when I try it (same deal as you, bank is my real name, DL is my Chinese name).
    It was 180元 for the year.

I was looking at the website, it says it is a 6 speed...is that correct? Because with gearing so short that you can't break 95kph (I can tuck in and get a whole 110!! haha), and the fact that I already hate first with a five speed because it's useless, I am hoping that this is a typo (considering they already misspelled it on the website, I won't be too surprised to find out it's actually a five speed).
    Yeah, it's a 6 speed. No type there. It also has a digital tack that with a fuel gauge. I've never had a bike that my fuel gauge wasn't my tripometer, so I was excited about that feature. There has been a small issue with starting. The EFI system isn't as foolproof as a cars. It doesn't like starting and although it always catches and fires immediately, it will almost always stall after the first few cycles. So, you have to gun the throttle and get the RPM up to about 3000 within a second. Then rev it a bit at 3000 for 5 seconds. Then it's fine. It's almost like the sensors can't get a good baseline and aren't able to give the bike a good starting mixture right off the bat. Once it gets going, it's golden. Just those first few seconds are messy. Also, sometimes the EFI won't start at all. This happened in the middle of no where after a quick lunch break. My wife starts freaking out a bit. I was thinking, "damn, this could get annoying". Then she jokes and says, "try turning it off and turning it on again." I tried it and it worked. It's happened a few times since and that trick always works.

Finally, Oh Odin, 195cm? You poor bastard...and I complain over here at 189 (you'd think more than three years here I'd stop whacking my head on shit, but nope).
    It's those damn tents they put up outside the store fronts. Right in the middle of the sidewalk. I nail my head on em everytime.

7. #7 Re: Jialing 200 GY In Shandong Yantai 
    foreign China moto dude bikerdoc's Avatar
    EFI shouldn't require any movement of throttle during engine start-up. Applying any throttle during that procedure usually results in too much fuel (rich condition), and often a hard-to-start situation results. The EFI will have a base map that it looks to based on numerous parameters. If one applies any throttle during start-up especially from a cold engine - this results in a engine-flooded condition, at this point it's then best to apply WOT. A typical flooding odour will be noticeable (provided a persons olfactory centre works - LOL) but the engine should cough to life, albeit with a rough idle initially.

If you are typically finding that your bike won't start easily without applying some throttle, my suggestion is take your MC to a dealership that can plug in the ECU diagnostic computer into the applicable ECU pigtail (usually found under the seat or tank) to diagnose and re-calibrate the EFI side of the ECU.
    Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist
    - Pablo Picasso

8. #8 Re: Jialing 200 GY In Shandong Yantai 
    Yeah, Not sure if yantai has such a mechanic. I have the wechat ID for a dude that sells black market bikes in town here. It's possible that he has the required tool. I'll ask him if he can help.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cryptographicide View Post
    Yeah, Not sure if yantai has such a mechanic. I have the wechat ID for a dude that sells black market bikes in town here. It's possible that he has the required tool. I'll ask him if he can help.
    Maybe look to buy the tool! Taobao or Aliexpress! Or I think zmc888 might know a guy in Zibo
    But the jailing is efi? Thought be just a carb? Or is it due to emission blah blah?

10. #10 Re: Jialing 200 GY In Shandong Yantai 
    Looks pretty good, I feel your pain of teaching English have been qualified for a while and teach during my summers in Russia seems more planning than being able to relax but it does pay well so can't complain.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast