Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

1. #1 Oil level on 2007 baja phoenix 250?? 
    OK, I know this will sound incredibly basic, but here it is.

According to the manual and the label on the side of the motor, this bike should take 1.6 quarts of oil. (Baja Phoenix 250 VIN_prefix_LUAH) However when I check it, 1.6 quarts doesn't even bring it close reaching the dipstick.

To check the oil I run it for a few minutes, then let it sit for about 5. Then check. I am not screwing the dipstick back in, just setting it on the top like the manual says. I have it on a level surface and am holding it level, not leaning it on the side stand. It does not have a center stand.

When I first got the bike I changed the oil and just kept adding oil until it was almost to the top of the dipstick. I forget how much I added, but I think it was over 2 quarts. The result was that I got an oil leak and had to replace the crank oil seal. Next time I was more careful, but still 1.6 was just not enough.. I added more until I just barely touched the bottom of the dipstick (about 1.8 quarts.) That was last fall and I didn't drive it much after that. A few weeks ago I changed the oil again and again added about 1.8 quarts. Since it is spring I have been driving it much more then I did in the fall after the last oil change. Now, after 2 weeks of driving every day, I have an oil leak again.

So, I'll replace the oil seal again. But then, should I just add 1.6 quarts? Of course that would make sense since that is what the manual says, but I'm afraid to add too little since it's not enough to show on the dipstick. Is it possible the bike has the wrong dipstick? Maybe it's too short? I bought it used so ya never know. Or do I have it wrong and you should check it by screwing the dipstick back in.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    Not all who wander are lost.
    2007 Baja Phoenix 250.

2. #2 Re: Oil level on 2007 baja phoenix 250?? 
    It's based on MC06E. MC06E | Case opened (ie. bone dry): 1.8L | "Normal" oil change 1.5L
    You NEVER know used bike's history. That dipstick maybe from other model...

3. #3 Re: Oil level on 2007 baja phoenix 250?? 
    Senior C-Moto Guru
    Yeah, just add 1,6. I recon the dipstick is wrong. But sometimes they can be wrong from the beginning.
    My bike should take 1.45l according to the manual and indication on the engine, but my dipstick says enough at 1,2l

4. #4 Re: Oil level on 2007 baja phoenix 250?? 
    Thanks. I'm pretty sure i have the wrong dipstick. When I go here : http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cd250u-19...596/partslist/ Or actually look at any year of the honda Rebel 250 (which I understand is the same engine) they all have the same dipstick which is much longer then mine. oil.JPG Here is a picture of a diagram from the above link and what I have. Obviously mine is much much shorter.
    --------------
    Edit
    After looking closer the Rebel seems to have the dipstick toward the front on the right side. My Baja is toward the back. Guess I'll just have to figure out a way to measure the level once I put in 1.6 quarts.
    2007 Baja Phoenix 250.

5. #5 Re: Oil level on 2007 baja phoenix 250?? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch-Baja250 View Post
    ...After looking closer the Rebel seems to have the dipstick toward the front on the right side. My Baja is toward the back. Guess I'll just have to figure out a way to measure the level once I put in 1.6 quarts.
    The Chinese 233 twin is based from mid-90s [domestic Japanese market] CA250 http://www.h6.dion.ne.jp/~nori-to/re..._database.html which NEVER imported to N. America . http://www.boltonmotorcycles.com/par...r/fiche/438593 Genuine parts # is 15650-KR3-870 (as dipstick from '83/ '84 XR350R)
    ===
    1 of those from Australia http://highgate-wa.australialisted.c..._17235621.html
    Last edited by humanbeing; 04-07-2015 at 11:10 AM.

6. #6 Re: Oil level on 2007 baja phoenix 250?? 
    C-Moto Regular
    Definitely the wrong dip stick. I used to have the same bike and the dip stick was much longer.

7. #7 Re: Oil level on 2007 baja phoenix 250?? 

8. #8 Re: Oil level on 2007 baja phoenix 250?? 
    C-Moto Regular
    I would drain the oil and refill with 1.6 qts or whatever the manual says then get a longer dipstick from a Honda CT90 or other horizontal Chinese clone engine, then insert it and mark it at the level of the oil.

9. #9 Re: Oil level on 2007 baja phoenix 250?? 
    So I drained the oil and put exactly 1.6 quarts in. When I check it according to the manual (not screwing it in) the oil level doesn't reach the dipstick. However if I screw it all the way in, then unscrew it the oil level comes to exactly the middle of the cross section. So that is good enough for me I guess. At least I can check it. Thanks for the input!
    2007 Baja Phoenix 250.