Adventure Motorcycle Magazine Subscribe Now

Thread: 1 in a million

1. #1 1 in a million 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Hello all,

I'm new to China and have jumped straight in at the deep end. Supposedly I am the only foreign person in the city of a million I am teaching in.

I love the sight and thank you all for the information/experiences you have shared.

The plan for me is as follows:
    1) Get a licence as soon as possible.
    2) Buy myself a reliable, decent sized engine, fairly new bike.
    3) Meet some like-minded people who also love riding.
    4) Get some rides in to learn the bike and how to fix any issues.
    5) On completion of my contract ride from Heilongjiang, China to Manchester, England.

As you can see there's lots to do!
    Any advice would be welcomed with open arms.

Ryan

2. #2 Re: 1 in a million 
    C-Moto Regular cryptographicide's Avatar
    My advice to everyone doing anything is always, "Do the hardest thing first." The hardest thing about multi-country trips is the border crossings. Make sure that your bike can be moved through the countries you plan on taking it to before you buy it. Also make sure things like having the bike registered to the shop you buy if from is acceptable for that border. I don't know where you could go about getting that information.
    1995 Suzuki Intruder (2005-Present){Canada}
    2003 Daelim Daystar (2011-2012){S. Korea}
    2014 Jialing 200 GY5A (2015-Present) {China}

3. #3 Re: 1 in a million 
    C-Moto Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by RJStock View Post
    Hello all,

I'm new to China and have jumped straight in at the deep end. Supposedly I am the only foreign person in the city of a million I am teaching in.

I love the sight and thank you all for the information/experiences you have shared.

The plan for me is as follows:
    1) Get a licence as soon as possible.
    2) Buy myself a reliable, decent sized engine, fairly new bike.
    3) Meet some like-minded people who also love riding.
    4) Get some rides in to learn the bike and how to fix any issues.
    5) On completion of my contract ride from Heilongjiang, China to Manchester, England.

As you can see there's lots to do!
    Any advice would be welcomed with open arms.

Ryan
    All the answers to these questions should be answered on this forum. Get saving for a bike (minimum 20,000rmb). Do you have an english motorcycle license because this will make your life easier.

4. #4 Re: 1 in a million 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Thankfully I have quite a bit of time on my hands, I know I'll need all of it though in order to make my ideal route possible.
    The route is only an ideal based on very little research, it's very flexible. I know there will be many changes required and probably countries that it'll be too much hassle to bother with. Here's the initial plan:

China - Vietnam - Cambodia - Thailand - Laos - Myanmar - Bangladesh - Nepal - India - Pakistan - Afghanistan - Tajikistan - Uzbekistan - Turkmenistan - Iran - Azerbaijan - Georgia - Turkey - Greece - Macedonia - Albania - Montenegro - Bosnia - Croatia - Slovenia - Austria - Liechtenstein - Switzerland - Germany - Luxembourg - Belgium - France - UK

I know its a long shot this will come off and a pain in the arse to plan but I like to set myself a challenge.
    I'm already doubting Iran due to the carnet requirement but again I have very little knowledge of carnets at the moment.
    If anyone has any experience or advice regarding any of these border crossings or just riding in the countries I'd love to have a chat.

Quote Originally Posted by VroomVroom View Post
    All the answers to these questions should be answered on this forum. Get saving for a bike (minimum 20,000rmb). Do you have an english motorcycle license because this will make your life easier.
    It's just a case of finding them now!
    Yes, I've got a UK motorcycle licence.

5. #5 Re: 1 in a million 
    C-Moto Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by RJStock View Post
    Thankfully I have quite a bit of time on my hands, I know I'll need all of it though in order to make my ideal route possible.
    The route is only an ideal based on very little research, it's very flexible. I know there will be many changes required and probably countries that it'll be too much hassle to bother with. Here's the initial plan:

China - Vietnam - Cambodia - Thailand - Laos - Myanmar - Bangladesh - Nepal - India - Pakistan - Afghanistan - Tajikistan - Uzbekistan - Turkmenistan - Iran - Azerbaijan - Georgia - Turkey - Greece - Macedonia - Albania - Montenegro - Bosnia - Croatia - Slovenia - Austria - Liechtenstein - Switzerland - Germany - Luxembourg - Belgium - France - UK

I know its a long shot this will come off and a pain in the arse to plan but I like to set myself a challenge.
    I'm already doubting Iran due to the carnet requirement but again I have very little knowledge of carnets at the moment.
    If anyone has any experience or advice regarding any of these border crossings or just riding in the countries I'd love to have a chat.

It's just a case of finding them now!
    Yes, I've got a UK motorcycle licence.
    THere are some countries that my research has shown to be near impossible/too expensive to undertake.

Rough list:

Vietnam (no chinese bikes allowed)
    Myanmar (Most overland borders are shut off, especially to motorcycles)
    Iran (Carnets)

I'd focus mostly on sorting out your license and bike in China. Make sure its legal (and reliable enough) to take accross borders. The rest will fall into place once you done some trips already and finally begin planning your overland trip.
    Me and a friend have planned a similar trip back to the UK. Leaving out many of the Stan countries due to border crossing hassles. We will take the easiest route which requires only one visa.

6. #6 Re: 1 in a million 
    C-Moto Not-so-Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by VroomVroom View Post
    THere are some countries that my research has shown to be near impossible/too expensive to undertake.

Rough list:

Vietnam (no chinese bikes allowed)
    Myanmar (Most overland borders are shut off, especially to motorcycles)
    Iran (Carnets)

I'd focus mostly on sorting out your license and bike in China. Make sure its legal (and reliable enough) to take accross borders. The rest will fall into place once you done some trips already and finally begin planning your overland trip.
    Me and a friend have planned a similar trip back to the UK. Leaving out many of the Stan countries due to border crossing hassles. We will take the easiest route which requires only one visa.
    Do you have a thread on here that I can follow about your planned trip?
    When are you planning on heading back?
    Thanks for the advice.
    I'll hopefully get myself something in the next couple of months and then have 8/9 months to get to know the motorcycle etc.
    What are you and your friend planning on riding? Would you recommend anything in particular?

7. #7 Re: 1 in a million 
    Banned
    My advice to everyone doing anything is always, "Do the hardest thing first." The hardest thing about multi-country trips is the border crossings. Make sure that your bike can be moved through the countries you plan on taking it to before you buy it. Also make sure things like having the bike registered to the shop you buy if from is acceptable for that border. I don't know where you could go about getting that information.